(Topic ID: 195753)

Can you make Money putting machines on Location?

By trk12fire

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0365 (resized).JPG
    20170815_000218 (resized).jpg

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

very cool he took ownership of it. sucks, but that is cool.
    I bet he will never smack a game again

Now if we can get people to never do it in the first place. Haha

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Lloyd, I don't know the competition you are speaking of, but can the answer to this mystery be as simple as "the other place lets me drink a beer while I play their shitty pinball"? Does it come down to that?

I don't think so. When I talk to them, most don't seem to drink in these locations. I ask simple things like how much is a drink, do they have a happy hour, what kinds do they have ? And usual response is "I dunno".

I know for me, if I had beer, I'd lose much more than I'd ever gain.

LTG : )

#103 2 years ago

Lloyd, is it also possible the information you have on how well the other guys are doing is just not accurate? Just as you've posted in the past that what your machines make is no ones business but yours, is it possible the anecdotal evidence about the competition isn't really true? Perception vs Reality.

I'm just trying to offer some alternative thoughts to why this makes no sense.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

I'd like to know some of the darker stories.
    The place in mind can host a few less decent folk from time to time.
    I'll say his name three times and hope he appears

--I have lost two pins in a fire, insurance claim paid off
    --four bent legs, one cracked, on an Iron Man
    --a couple of coin doors kicked in pretty good, still serviceable
    --several broken plungers
    --Tommy nearly destroyed itself trying to boot for a couple of days. By the time I found it, the game had seven blown fuses and a black burn mark on the CPU board as big as my fist. A failing power supply was the culprit. I was able to repair the game, but it cost me nearly $500 in parts to do it. As I was surveying the damage, I remember one of the bartenders telling me that the game was making a lot of noise over the weekend. Never occurred to her to turn it off. Luckily, the staff is great at my current location.

It only takes one person to ruin the party.

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Trying to get "Card Trix" to award specials is like trying to get a rooster to lay eggs!

Call it what you want. Just because the "Specials" are "WOWs" which are extra balls, doesn't make it any less of a "Special". =P

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Lloyd, is it also possible the information you have on how well the other guys are doing is just not accurate?

I don't believe I mentioned how good the other guys are doing. I'd have no knowledge of that. I posted about where I know players do go. I was responding to a posters question about whether maintained or not maintained games earn more. In the past, I did see the numbers of some machines that did the same, maintained or not.

Quoted from frolic:

I'm just trying to offer some alternative thoughts to why this makes no sense.

I've spent a life time in this industry, the likes and dislikes of customers is more of a mystery than making any sense.

#107 2 years ago

Well, Lloyd, if you were anywhere near me you'd see my smiling face every week .

#108 2 years ago

Back to what a contract entails, is this something my attorney looks at or is it more casual like a rental agreement? I'm thinking along the lines of a rental contract right now.

Would it be off to word something like a damage deductible? By that I mean it a game gets really trashed one evening the facility would cover damages over a marked amount (say anything over $1000 per incident, or 8% of games total value whichever is greater)?

For instance I bring in a new title. Say Rob Zombie. Someone one night thinks rob zombie is a asshole and destroys the game. Or better yet, a stolen game. I'm not sure how insurance behaves in a third party environment, it would seem natural they would tell me call the facilities insurance. So something in a contract may need to outline this right? Will insurance that I buy cover everything? Or will the insurance balk at a high claim due to a weak contract?

#109 2 years ago

The more I read here the more I appreciate the immense risk you all take in this buisness.

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Well, Lloyd, if you were anywhere near me you'd see my smiling face every week .

Well now I am going to have to consider moving. Thank you !

#111 2 years ago

More power to those willing to put games on route.
    The broken glass reminds me of a part time job at night years ago in a Mall arcade. The first Simpsons pinball was new and TMNT video game was hot. Had to keep asking people to take there infants/ small kids off the glass on the pinball machines. Also remember being amazed people could not figure out how to put a dollar into a bill changer that has a giant picture of a dollar going into the slot on it. Also having to tell people every few minutes no food and drink even though there was a 40 foot long 12 foot high neon sign flashing this in multiple colors as they entered. Remember when I was a kid watching a drunk man grab a pinball in a bowling alley, lift it up, swing around with it and drop it several feet to the floor. Still amazed at the leverage needed. Remember catching people with rail road spikes beating on video game doors to get free games. One guy trying to use someone car antenna in coin slots. Constantly unjamming games. If it will fit in a coin slot people will put it in there. Sometimes even if it does not fit. I stopped working part time in arcades after being round house kicked to the head and robbed working there in the Mall one weekday evening.

#112 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-coinbox-pinball-podcast#post-2344056

This is a great podcast that covers a lot of questions you asked.

#113 2 years ago

My pizza shops are located in small towns (1,800 and 4,500) and our machines do quite well. The Hobbit does much better than I anticipated. Mario and TMNT are huge hits with the kids and even adults. PinBot gets the least attention, but that's okay with me since it is the oldest.

If anyone ever comes through little ol' West Unity after hours and sees the "Play Pinball Here" sign on, just knock on the door. Yours truly is decompressing for the day over a pin. I'll even make you a pizza

#114 2 years ago

Use these concerns to get a high %

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 5.00
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside