• Latest reply 6 years ago by johninc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2389276952_286a127e2f_o (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

This is a photo I found me playing pinball. I'm guessing the year is around 1978(ish). About 6 months ago I thought I would get all nostalgic and find the actual pin on IPDB. The apron got me close so I thought I would get it but couldn't seem to find a match to the out lane graphics. I know this is seriously tough as hell but technically there's enough there to make a match.

I just stumbled on the photo again so I thought I'd reach out to you guys to see if anyone could figure it out.

Thanks

Coop

2389276952_286a127e2f_o (resized).jpg2389276952_286a127e2f_o (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Well I can already narrow it down to a 1970's Gottlieb e-m type machine.
I say that in part due to the Gottlieb apron, and 3" long flippers.
I've got a good idea, but gonna do some checking first.

#3 6 years ago

Great picture of playing pinball back in the 70's.

I'm gonna say it is a 1972 Gottlieb Flying Carpet.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Great picture of playing pinball back in the 70's.
I'm gonna say it is a 1972 Gottlieb Flying Carpet.

Nailed it

Ok, that was amazingly fast. Good grief. I was searching IPDB for hours lol!

Thanks!

#5 6 years ago

Ok, so now let's id the Midway machine with the baseballs artwork along the siderail.

I'm not gonna be any help with that one.
Do you think it is a pitch-n-bat game, or a regular pinball machine?

#6 6 years ago

1956 Bally Skill Roll too. Where was this? And who's the guy with the groovy threads? Dad? Awesome pic.

#7 6 years ago

This is rare to see a photo of someone playing an EM pinball machine back in 1978. I remember back then when most of the EM machines in arcades were not being played and just collecting dust. As soon as the SS pinball machines were introduced around 1977, most players gave up on the EM machines and started playing SS machines exclusively. Around 1979-80 most arcades and operators were selling off their EM machines for like $50-$200 each. Amazing how quickly EM machines disappeared from arcades back then...

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

1956 Bally Skill Roll too. Where was this? And who's the guy with the groovy threads? Dad? Awesome pic.

This was at The Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. Mr. Groovy was my mother's boyfriend Julien. He grew up in the Alsace-Lorraine region of France. After surviving WWII as a boy his family moved to the South of France where he learned how to cook. In the 60's he immigrated to the US and became a chef. For a while, he was the head chef at the original Trader Vics in San Francisco during its heyday. Later he became the first head of food and beverage at the Bonaventure Hotel in downtown Los Angeles which is where he met my mom. They were together for 5 years. He passed in the 80s. His accordion playing was amazing.

#9 6 years ago

That's a great picture coop. Thanks for posting a memory of yours. I wish I had some pics like that from back in the day.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Ok, so now let's id the Midway machine with the baseballs artwork along the siderail.

Fun Ball

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=962&picno=10723

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Electronics
TheDudeMods
Electronics
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-id-this-em-tough and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.