(Topic ID: 319656)

Can you have an LED so bad that it pops a fuse?

By ThePinballCo-op

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I was changing out LEDs and when I put in the last one the fuse blew. I took out the bulb and changed the fuse, started the game and everything was fine. When I put the bulb back in the fuse blew again.

I changed the fuse again and put in a different bulb and turned it on, now the game works just fine.

Am I crazy? Can this one bulb actually be so bad that it destroys a fuse? Or was I just unlucky twice?

Has this happened to anyone else?

#2 1 year ago

Absolutely! Wires inside the bulb could be shorted. Open the led bulb to check.

#3 1 year ago

Sure, an LED is just a diode which can short out, resulting in a blown fuse.

#4 1 year ago

The game is fighting back against you putting LEDs in it

#5 1 year ago

Never had a failure like that myself, but sure, the components inside the bulb could be shorted. Toss the bulb and just stick in another one.

#6 1 year ago

Yes, I had 3 or 4 shorted, all in separate games. No need to keep testing it in a game to see if it blows a fuse.

You can measure resistance of the tip to the side of of the LED with your multimeter and see if you get zero ohms. Test against a good one, normally measures as open.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-have-an-led-so-bad-that-it-pops-a-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.