(Topic ID: 223235)

Can You Guess The Plasma Displays? An LED vs. Plasma SHOWDOWN!! :)

By acebathound

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

disp4.jpg
    disp3.jpg
    disp2.jpg
    disp1.jpg
    plasma.jpg
    plasma_commas.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Thought I'd have a little fun with an announcement for what's COMING SOON for the Classic Bally/Stern LED display sets I'm selling.

Custom LED digits that come so close to the original plasma displays, you're going to have a tough time picking them out in a machine that's using a mix of original plasma + LED displays.

Can you guess which of the displays below are plasma??

*HINT* There is at least one plasma and at least one LED display being used.
    Also, Xenon uses a "smoke" effect on its outer backglass, so keep that in-mind as far as some color changes occurring on the digits.

plasma.jpgplasma.jpg

Let's just say.. if you're a plasma purist, this is as close as it's gonna get -- and it's pretty dang close

**AVAILABLE NOW!!**
    See thread below for info:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinitech-led-displays-for-classic-bally-stern-plasma-contender

---
    http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
    NVRAM, kits, upgrades and test equipment for pinball machines

#6 5 years ago

All good guesses so far! Only have to wait another 21 hours to find out!!

On the Player 2 display you really only get to compare the brighter orange in the "24" to the Player 1 side. And then the Player 1 "2" is in the smoke, and could be compared to the right side of the Player 2 score. And the credit display? Well that's completely covered under the smoked area. The Xenon backglass certainly doesn't make this any easier.

Keep in mind.. there's a handful of plasma glasses that were used. Different variations on comma styles.. some more rectangular, some more comma like.. commas close to the digit, commas further away. Commas higher up or down lower. You may be basing your guess off of a few displays you've seen or have in your possession.. but what style did I go with?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I’m going with player one because the comma sits up a little higher than player 2.

Maybe. But I could have easily picked any of the comma styles from plasma glass below (or a handful of other variations that exist) to base the custom digits off of

plasma_commas.jpgplasma_commas.jpg

I'd honestly have a tough time guessing here as well after seeing the variations of plasma glass that exist. You might think you know which is which, but the above image should throw a bit of a curve-ball. Do the middle and right-most images in the line-up of plasma glasses look familiar? Hmm....

#9 5 years ago

Only 4 hours left to guess. So how about a 4 second video?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Are the new displays going to be offered in other colors and/or white w/films?

The custom digits were ordered in AMBER & WHITE.

For the WHITE sets you'll have the same filter color choices as I've been offering. They're led gels, so they aren't adhesive-backed. This is an advantage. You use a small bit of double sided tape (that's included) and that's all it takes to adhere them. You can then swap out filters infinite times and reuse the filters.

#15 5 years ago

Getting down to the wire.. so how about a video without that darn smoked backglass messing things up?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

So hard to tell from blurry low resolution video. Still, the fact that it's so difficult to tell proves your point.

Haha sorry.. the camera I'm using is the only one so far that's been able to capture colors fairly accurately, but it's an older Canon so video quality isn't GoPro quality.

#18 5 years ago

Alright here we go..

disp1.jpgdisp1.jpg

disp2.jpgdisp2.jpg

disp3.jpgdisp3.jpg

disp4.jpgdisp4.jpg

#19 5 years ago

Player #2 is an AMBER led display.

Credit/Match is the WHITE with plasma amber filters, which to me looks like a perfect match to the AMBER digits and plasma displays.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I win
    Edit: I see you said guess the plasma.. I was always guessing the LED as that's what you're adding

I thought that might be the case

Quoted from Jvspin:

Wow! Looks great.
    Dang, I just ordered and built up the old set too, haven't even put them in a beautifully restored Playboy yet.

Thanks! The sets using the current digits will look great in Playboy too! These are just changes coming, but pricing will change as well.

I want to assure anyone that's bought a display set in the last year, you got a GREAT DEAL!! Here's why. Pricing was below market value for the quality and features. If you'd like to upgrade to the custom digit displays once they're available, you'll be able to do that without losing $$ on the display set you already bought. DIY Kits that are assembled can be sold for a higher price than you paid. Assembled sets put in machines will help command a higher price for the machine than the displays had cost. You can upgrade at any time and be in good shape because there will always be a need for nice working displays.

---

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Awesome! Will these new digits work with your early traditional sets?

Oops, didn't see your question.

Yes digits would work with even the earliest sets. I'm not sure I would recommend attempting to swap the led blocks though unless you have a ton of desoldering experience, the right equipment, and take it slow.. since the LED blocks can't easily be snipped out of there and through-holes would have to be full cleared before yanking the digit out to avoid damaging pads/traces. This isn't directed at you dothedoo, just a general statement that for most people it's probably a better idea to upgrade by either just swapping the digit panel with a new panel or selling the old set (either using in a machine being sold or selling it separately) and upgrade that way.

1 month later
    #25 5 years ago

Good News!

The new configurations of the LED sets with the custom digits are now available via the website!

UNO Style - https://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_uno.php

TRADITIONAL Style - https://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_traditional.php

Right now the available LED colors for the custom digit sets are AMBER & WHITE (with color filters). A few of these sets already shipped out to some people the 2nd week in October! Looking forward to hearing what people think of the new digits!

---

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider acebathound.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-guess-the-plasma-displays?tu=acebathound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.