(Topic ID: 195411)

Can you finish the code on your own?

By zr11990

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I had a thought. Scary huh. People are constantly bitching, and rightly so, about stern not finishing the code on their games. They have so much potential as far as gameplay goes but once its out the door they abandon it like a girl baby in ancient Rome. So, with the advances companies like P-Rock have come up with by allowing someone to write their own code could some brilliant person here just finish the code on stern machines themselves and "give" it to others? A lot of work it would be but there are some brilliant people here that love pinball that could do it. I'm certain others who have that particular game that is being worked on could chip in and help whether it is helping with rules or writing code ore even help out monetarily. I wish I could do it but I'm stupid aaaaand I do not own any stern games and never will but for you guys who do it could be awesome. Look what Eric did for Cactus Canyon.

#2 6 years ago

Soon you will be able to. It will be offered as a "kit" at a slightly additional charge of around $1000 with all nib games.

#3 6 years ago

This is a joke right?

#4 6 years ago

I think you have ZERO idea just how complex this is............

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

This is a joke right?

Has been for some time...

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I think you have ZERO idea just how complex this is............

Probably not. All I know about it is what I was told by Eric or what he told others here. I told you Im stupid. But if stern aint gonna do it...

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Probably not. All I know about it is what I was told by Eric or what he told others here. I told you Im stupid. But if stern aint gonna do it...

You cannot finish what you don't have. What the games ship with is compiled code and the output of sources. Without the source code (and preferably some documentation) there is nothing to finish.

Proc and things like ccc are not finishing but starting from scratch and making everything yourself.

#8 6 years ago

It is theoretically possible to extract the code and work on it - look at what's been achieved by Pinball Browser in allowing you to change sounds/images.

I've worked on several projects over the years where we had to take compiled machine code and work stuff out to change what it does and it is incredibly difficult. The number of inputs and outputs on Pinball just multiply that complexity.

For example, at first you'll need to identify how every physical device is addressed and where and I'll bet that this isn't all done in a single place for Switch #33, it'll be in loads of different places. To make a simple change may not be too bad - eg recoding so that hitting a pop-bumper gives 2000 points instead of 1000 would be doable, but to try to implement complex rule set changes just isn't feasible without a huge amount of effort and that's required for every single game individually.

Doing that requires physical access to the machine and I just can't see enough people with sufficient low-level skills (very few current day programmers have even seen machine code or worked with it let alone spent time reverse-engineering it!) putting the amount of time in that is needed.

Unless source code is made available, then it really isn't going to happen.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-finish-the-code-on-your-own?hl=cyberkryten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.