(Topic ID: 292673)

Can you find ME a pinball machine too???

By pinzrfun

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I'm sure everyone has been here.

Someone comes over, sees/plays your games, gets all excited, and then says "Can you find me a Creature from the Black Lagoon machine??"

So a month or 2 later you run across one, call the person - "How much?" "$4000" (sound of phone dropping on floor).

So have you ever had anyone actually peel off the hundred dollar bills and buy their first game after seeing your collection?

After 20+ years, someone finally did - a female coworker asked me about a year and a half ago to find her a game, one with some bells and whistles. I ran across a No Fear, sent her a short video of it and she said she's take it, picked it up the next day. I followed her and her boyfriend home and set it up, came back a few days later and tweaked some things for them. The boyfriend said her and her girlfriend played it for like 6 hours the night before, it was great to hear.

How about you guys? Successfully converted anyone?

#2 2 years ago

I always just tell them the brutal truth that the game they want - it’s always monster bash, Addams, or attack from Mars - will set them back around 8-10k. That usually does the trick, and dispels any illusion they may have that I have some super secret source of dirt cheap games that I can toss their way. That’s usually the end of their brief aspiration to become a pinball collector.

#3 2 years ago

It is astonishingly rare when people even play my machines for more than a couple games after seeing them the first time. Some people act so excited to have the chance and then just bat around, drain a few balls, and walk away. Its really odd but I think not feeling in control frustrates people. Even difficult arcade games let people get in at least 30 seconds of easy gameplay.

The other thing that is surprising to me is how cheap they seem to think they must be. People spend thousands on a vacation but the idea that I spent a few grand on a pinball seems to offend them.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smurrill1:

The other thing that is surprising to me is how cheap they seem to think they must be.

There is hardly a week goes by that I don't have someone look at the JJP row and ask, "how much are these now. $400 - $500 each ?"

No idea why.

LTG : )

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I always just tell them the brutal truth that the game they want - it’s always monster bash, Addams, or attack from Mars - will set them back around 8-10k. That usually does the trick, and dispels any illusion they may have that I have some super secret source of dirt cheap games that I can toss their way. That’s usually the end of their brief aspiration to become a pinball collector.

That advise is key. I always end the conversation with the estimate value for the interest game. That usually ends the hunt and interest....lol

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

I always end the conversation with the estimate value for the interest game.

You should give them an estimate of the mods they'll need to buy from you. That alone should do it.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You should give them an estimate of the mods they'll need to buy from you. That alone should do it.

lol

They ARE nice mods though!

#8 2 years ago

So many times! I had a coworker ask for a firefighter themed pinball machine. He was OK with spending a couple grand. I found him a FIRE for just over a grand (smokin deal a few years back). He didn't even respond when I told him I found it. Lately I've been telling people they are going to break, sometimes brand new ones come broken. I'm too busy to come and fix it so you will need to find a tech. That does the trick.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

They ARE nice mods though!

That is what scares people off. They are so nice. You need them all.

Nobody can have just one Mod Couple Mod !

#10 2 years ago

Offered to fix and lightly shop out a friend's game once. It was actually in his father's house and the grand kids wanted to play it. It was a nice EM with not that much wear. Fixed it up, got it working, cleaned it, added new rubbers and LED'S. Now his dad won't stop calling me to keep fixing things or adjust things. And not just pinball. Like electrical stuff. No good deed goes unpunished. So beware.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

That is what scares people off. They are so nice. You need them all.
    Nobody can have just one Mod Couple Mod !

You are as always to kind. Do we owe you money?? lol Lets just hope if Anything this recent crazy pinball prices influence people to get out and Enjoy pinball the way it was always enjoyed in the past. Via our dedicated route and shop owners one dollar at a time. I always tell people you don't actually have to Own a pinball machine. Join a local group or visit your local establishment like SS Billiards! Same fun with much less heartache.

#12 2 years ago

I have a coworker who is a huge Kiss memorabilia collector,I'd say he has a few hundred thousand invested and I'm probably way low. He always asked me to find him a Bally Kiss and I'd always send him links but they were always just a little to far or just missed out. Well I finally found him a nice one locally and he jumped on it. He had a very nice mancave in his garage with a pool table that they would use a few times a week but after getting a pinball they were playing pinball every night and sometimes until the sun comes up and they haven't touched their pool table since. Fast forward 6 months and they still haven't touched the pool table and they added a Sopranos (favorite show) to the collection and is on a light search for a Big Game because his wife's family used to own one.

#13 2 years ago

A buddy of mine actually bought an EM after he played my collection and joined our pinball league. He doesn’t play it often but at least he got one!!
    I’ve got another friend that constantly harasses me to buy a game, but for some odd reason once I tell him to come on down and pay me he falls off the map for a few days.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

So have you ever had anyone actually peel off the hundred dollar bills and buy their first game after seeing your collection?

Yep. I helped friends buy around 5-6 games over the years. They weren’t super cheap finds either. They were market price at the time I found each one. And each time each friend paid me additional to get it up to snuff before I brought it to them.

Only one of them has bought a second game, the rest still just have the one.

All have been really happy. Their main concerns were getting fleeced, and not knowing how to fix them when the time came.

#15 2 years ago

Non-pinheads seem to have unrealistic expectations. Both of the cost to purchase
    and the cost to have others maintain their machines if they get one. Just about
    all that have been here and played my pins ask me to find one in the $200 range.
    They don't believe they cost more than that. Send them to the Pinside Marketplace
    for a reality check.

The next question I get is can they borrow one of my pins for a few months. NO!

#16 2 years ago

A co-worker of mine was inspired to buy a DE Jurassic park after being over my place a few times. He has enjoyed it. However it’s clear the difference between a casual owner and someone like me who simply cannot stand anything not working 100% - the trex didnt work properly, not picking up the ball. I steered him to the right places to trouble shoot and buy parts but he never followed through to fix it. It’s like the one mech on the game that makes the game cool and, nah, it’s fine. Lol.

#17 2 years ago

Good thread.
    Only had one non pinhead friend step up and buy a game. Was not surprised he didnt wanna spend much and ended up with a gorgar.

Surprisingly a couple years later he stepped up to the plate with 6 grand in hand.

Wanted something in my collection I coulda got 7 for. How could I refuse? Glad I did it as we now have another pinhead in the world and I can still drop by and play it. Hopefully someday he gets something i dont have and repays the favor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-find-me-a-pinball-machine-too and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.