(Topic ID: 60525)

Can you extract specific items from the sound ROMs ? (How ?)

By Heretic_9

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15904210123897539120121704812588 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Heretic_9.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I've seen all the many sound ROMs that are available for download at IPDB. Wild guess here: they are provided this way for burning onto programmable chips, to be used as replacements, when needed for various games ?

Being a video enthusiast (as well as a pin addict), I could tell you a couple easy ways to extract specific clips from much larger video source files. Is there some way -- maybe using something like the software Audacity ? -- that one could extract specific pieces of dialog, or specific sound or music cues, from these downloadable ROM files ? If so -- in some basic detail -- how would I go about doing that ?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

You could run the rom in visual pin mame and capture the audio through an input into audacity. You'll need to run the rom somehow.

There are virtual CD / DVD drives for mounting discs or games (Daemon Tools, etc.), in order to play or do other things with them, and game emulators for Amiga, Atari, and various others from earlier game history. When you refer to a pin mame, is that the same sort of idea ? I would have thought there might be something equivalent, for virtually running one of those ROMs . . . ?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Heretic_9.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-extract-specific-items-from-the-sound-roms-how?tu=Heretic_9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.