(Topic ID: 60525)

Can you extract specific items from the sound ROMs ? (How ?)

By Heretic_9

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15904210123897539120121704812588 (resized).jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I've seen all the many sound ROMs that are available for download at IPDB. Wild guess here: they are provided this way for burning onto programmable chips, to be used as replacements, when needed for various games ?

Being a video enthusiast (as well as a pin addict), I could tell you a couple easy ways to extract specific clips from much larger video source files. Is there some way -- maybe using something like the software Audacity ? -- that one could extract specific pieces of dialog, or specific sound or music cues, from these downloadable ROM files ? If so -- in some basic detail -- how would I go about doing that ?

#2 10 years ago

You could run the rom in visual pin mame and capture the audio through an input into audacity. You'll need to run the rom somehow.

#3 10 years ago

If you figure out a way this would make hacking and making a re theme of older machines easier.

#4 10 years ago

Some games allow you to play isolated sounds from the test menu but I don't think they always have every sound on the game.

#5 10 years ago

Pulling the sounds is easy.

http://www.e2j.net/downloads.html

Editing the digital data in the ROM and putting it back in the game is not. No one has yet to verify that the update in the thread referenced below works in a game.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-sound-rom-update

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

You could run the rom in visual pin mame and capture the audio through an input into audacity. You'll need to run the rom somehow.

There are virtual CD / DVD drives for mounting discs or games (Daemon Tools, etc.), in order to play or do other things with them, and game emulators for Amiga, Atari, and various others from earlier game history. When you refer to a pin mame, is that the same sort of idea ? I would have thought there might be something equivalent, for virtually running one of those ROMs . . . ?

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Heretic_9:

There are virtual CD / DVD drives for mounting discs or games (Daemon Tools, etc.), in order to play or do other things with them, and game emulators for Amiga, Atari, and various others from earlier game history. When you refer to a pin mame, is that the same sort of idea ? I would have thought there might be something equivalent, for virtually running one of those ROMs . . . ?

http://vpforums.org

viperrwk

6 years later
    #8 3 years ago

Is there a way to extract sounds from roms for Pinball 2000 games, like RFM?
    M1 unfortunately can't do it, and neither can Pinmame

#9 3 years ago

check out the pinsound website. They have extracted (almost) all of the sound roms into a nice little directory structure for the games they support. Make an account to download.

As far as editing them and putting your changes back into the rom, that is not going to happen for WMS, at least. They used a proprietary algorithm to encode the sounds. If memory serves it was the same algorithm Sony used with their minidisc from the early 1990s. ATRAC maybe? They have not released the code for it and to my knowledge no one has been able to reverse engineer it. You can extract but you cannot put anything back in.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamescardona:

check out the pinsound website. They have extracted (almost) all of the sound roms into a nice little directory structure for the games they support. Make an account to download.
    As far as editing them and putting your changes back into the rom, that is not going to happen for WMS, at least. They used a proprietary algorithm to encode the sounds. If memory serves it was the same algorithm Sony used with their minidisc from the early 1990s. ATRAC maybe? They have not released the code for it and to my knowledge no one has been able to reverse engineer it. You can extract but you cannot put anything back in.

Hi jamescardona,
    Thank you for answer.
    Unfortunately, PinSound is not compatible with RFM, so no RFM music on Pinsound website
    But thank you for trying to help me, I really appreciate it!
    Have a nice day

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballfan2000:

Is there a way to extract sounds from roms for Pinball 2000 games, like RFM?
    M1 unfortunately can't do it, and neither can Pinmame

Is there an image available of the hard drive the game uses? I bet if you mount that the files are stored in there

#12 3 years ago

I have an old program that I used to use for getting sounds from old arcade roms, you can load pinball roms and listen to the files. some roms have like tracks. program is called "Bridge". here is a pic of it running lion man roms lol.

15904210123897539120121704812588 (resized).jpg15904210123897539120121704812588 (resized).jpg
    #13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is there an image available of the hard drive the game uses? I bet if you mount that the files are stored in there

Where can I download that?

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from GoldenOreos:

I have an old program that I used to use for getting sounds from old arcade roms, you can load pinball roms and listen to the files. some roms have like tracks. program is called "Bridge". here is a pic of it running lion man roms lol.
    [quoted image]

I know about that software, but unfortunately there's no RFM rom there

#15 3 years ago

Rdoyle1978 where can I download hard drive of RFM?

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballfan2000:

rdoyle1978 where can I download hard drive of RFM?

No idea - maybe an RFM owner could help you out. I know some owners have had to transfer to new hard drives; maybe they kept the image

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No idea - maybe an RFM owner could help you out. I know some owners have had to transfer to new hard drives; maybe they kept the image

Thank you for the tip!
    I'll try

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-extract-specific-items-from-the-sound-roms-how and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.