(Topic ID: 321926)

Can you easily add an interlock switch to a stern spike 2 game?

By NoSkills

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by NoSkills
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I have an older spike 2 game that doesn’t have an interlock switch, can I add one easily?

I like to use the coin door ball saver option on my other games basically as a pause button if there’s someone at the door, I get a phone call, someone in the house needs something etc. but without an interlock switch the game doesn’t know when the coindoor is open to add a ball save.
    Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Dumb question?

#3 1 year ago

Not a dumb question at all, but it is probably very difficult to add a game pausing interlock switch because of the node board architecture.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Not a dumb question at all, but it is probably very difficult to add a game pausing interlock switch because of the node board architecture.

Hmm I see. It's an IMDN, they made some with them and some without so I thought it might be an easy add, perhaps not though

#5 1 year ago

*Technically* you probably could hack in an interlock switch that interrupts the coil voltages, but then the spike computer won't know what's going on, and you also risk inrush current that the system wouldn't expect.

You might have to study the wiring on a spike system that does have an interlock switch to see how it was implemented.

#6 1 year ago

For some reason, right in the middle of everything, Stern cut that part out of several runs of games, but then put it back. My Batman had no interlock, but Batman runs before and after mine did. It's likely a matter of splicing in the proper place. Do you have another Spike game with an interolock to compare wiring?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

For some reason, right in the middle of everything, Stern cut that part out of several runs of games, but then put it back. My Batman had no interlock, but Batman runs before and after mine did. It's likely a matter of splicing in the proper place. Do you have another Spike game with an interolock to compare wiring?

Yeah I have other spike 2 games I could compare, I just didn’t want to break anything. I think it was one of those cost saving ideas but then they released it was a really bad idea lol

I dont know if it’s excessive but I’m considering a nib Imdn if they do another run just for an interlock switch and because I have one with art and so pooling around the posts, which I know they removed on later runs

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from NoSkills:

Yeah I have other spike 2 games I could compare, I just didn’t want to break anything. I think it was one of those cost saving ideas but then they released it was a really bad idea lol
    I dont know if it’s excessive but I’m considering a nib Imdn if they do another run just for an interlock switch and because I have one with art and so pooling around the posts, which I know they removed on later runs

Trade you a Rush Pro with interlock for your old worn out Maiden when you get your new one.

#9 1 year ago

Yes, it is doable. I added one to early run DP.

First you need to check the code to see if the game is programmed to support it.

Then you need to replace the power distribution board with an updated one that supports an interlock switch

Lastly add the switch and appropriate gauged wire and you are all set.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aquapin:

Yes, it is doable. I added one to early run DP.
    First you need to check the code to see if the game is programmed to support it.
    Then you need to replace the power distribution board with an updated one that supports an interlock switch
    Lastly add the switch and appropriate gauged wire and you are all set.

Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-easily-add-an-interlock-switch-to-a-stern-spike-2-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.