Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SYS6
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago

You don't need diodes for an EM application.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

The diodes are used to save the bridge from damage when the coils magnetic field collapses, so I absolutely recommend them ...sure the game is an EM, but you just added a solid state component.

I thought the diodes were added to protect the driver board and MPU board from back EMF damage in solid state games. I don't think EMs with DC have diodes on the coils, do they?

#20 9 years ago

OK, but do EMs using DC have diodes on the coils? I'm not sure, but I don't recall seeing them on the DC EMs I've encountered. Maybe there's a single diode installed at the bridge rectifier which serves the same purpose?

#22 9 years ago

Shopped out and sold a nice "Golden Arrow" last year. I replaced one of the bumper coils which was fried, but don't recall seeing diodes on any of the coils. I've only seen them on SS games.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Golden Arrow doesn't use any (it's not DC). Hit the Deck does (seven of them, for example).

Didn't know "Golden Arrow" wasn't DC. I thought they used DC exclusively after the first one (which was?...). I think Williams was using DC in their EMs all the way back to "Granada" and "Spanish Eyes" iirc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-drive-an-em-coil-with-dc-power?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.