(Topic ID: 212018)

Can You Donate a Video Game or Pinball Machine??

By rogerdodger

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vic_Camp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rogerdodger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi Guys:

I recently donated a full size Multicade video game to a place near me that is a day center for mentally handicapped young men and women. My daughter volunteers there, reading with them, etc.

I just received a call from the manager of the center, to let me know that the machine has absolutely changed their lives! Apart from their normal activities, they all crowd around the machine, patiently waiting for their turn to play and get very excited and cheer on the other players, also.

The warm, fuzzy feeling I got when he told me all of this, cannot be described!

Sometimes we go about our busy daily lives without giving much thought to the plight of others, so I thought I would post this to see if others would consider donating a video game or pinball machine to their favorite cause.

I do understand that many can't afford to donate like this but, for those who can, I promise that the smiles you will bring to the faces of those less fortunate, will be all the reward you could wish for.

Regards,

Roger

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I think I have donated 12 or 13 pinball machines over the years to various fundraisers and I can tell you it's well worth the effort. Not only does it give the organization something unique to auction off, it generally gets new people into the hobby as well. Of course, there's a tax write off for you as well, which is good if you're itemizing your deductions.
    As Budman said above, the bummer is that if there are any issues, it's you they call, but I don't really do repairs for people (I'm not that good at it) so I just refer them to my repair guy. So far, everyone has understood that the machines do break down and that repairs may be needed.
    The problem I'm having these days is finding projects to fix up and donate. It used to be that you could find a decent EM project game for $100-$200, put in the sweat equity, and maybe a few dollars in repairs and end up with a decent game. It seems that project EM games are getting harder and harder to find and when you do find them, the prices tend to be higher.
    I have another fundraiser coming up soon (local Children's hospital heart center) and will be donating a Gottlieb World Series. Right now, it's in my basement with a few issues to be solved and I've only got about 3 weeks to get it ready - no pressure!
    At any rate, if you've ever thought of donating a game, I encourage you to do so. It really does make a difference, both to the folks raising money and to the people that end up with the game. I promise, you'll be glad you did it!
    Dave

Very nice and very generous of you.

My idea was to donate the actual machine for themselves to use, rather than to auction off to raise funds.

They all need extra funds, of course, but I wanted the mentally handicapped residents to enjoy all the fun that a vid or pinball can provide and, by so doing, brighten up their day and give them something to look forward to.

#10 6 years ago

Great stories and memories guys.

What many don't realize is that, when you give, you often get back much more, in return.

If someone really can't afford to give then, obviously, that's a different story.

Roger

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rogerdodger.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-donate-a-video-game-or-pinball-machine?tu=rogerdodger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.