(Topic ID: 212018)

Can You Donate a Video Game or Pinball Machine??

By rogerdodger

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vic_Camp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vic_Camp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago

A while back.....I got a call on a Saturday night from an elderly man in his 80's about a Gottlieb 1965 Bank a Ball, who coincidentally lived just a mile away from my home. He told me he would like to get his game restored/working and give it to his son who had four young sons for their home use. He mentioned that everyone he called who were somehow connected to pinball looked at the game and either wanted to buy it very cheap or told him to restore it would cost $1000 to $1500.

I said to him, I am getting ready to go out to dinner with my wife and we both could stop by to evaluate the game for him afterwards and he said that would be great. So to make a long story short the game was in horrible condition both cosmetically and electro-mechanically, but I didn't tell him that. I could tell the game hadn't been played in over 30 years and just sat dormant and would need at least 50 hours work to make it right and last a while without breaking down in the future.

After talking a while with him i could see on his face and in his voice the disappointment that he was experiencing about trying to hand down the game to his son and grandsons, which meant a lot to him. Then i noticed on the card tray of his game a sticker that was from an amusement company called Coin Amusement. It was a company i work for from 1969 to 1973. I explained that to him and asked him if the name of the guy who sold him the game was either Vito or Warren. He said it was Warren and still had the bill of sale upstairs which indicated in 1970 when he purchased the game for $75.

We continued to talk some more about other things besides the pinball and had a really great conversation. It felt like i was talking to someone that i knew for a long time. At that moment i turn and said to him that i would repair all that the game needed and get it looking good and working perfect. He pause for a second and said i couldn't afford to do that. I said to him wouldn't charge him a penny but he had to be my assistance and help me work on the game. I told him i would bring my tools over on Saturdays and Sundays and we would work together bring the machine back to life.

He was an electrical engineer and love to tinker with stuff all the time and was so happy to be part of the restoration process . After more than 50 hours of weekend work on the game it came out very nice and played terrific too. I didn't let anything that i thought would make the game better slip by, even though he keep saying please don't go any further working on the game...that it was good enough the way it was.

It felt great when he emailed me a picture of him, his son and his grandsons standing by the game at the games new home. It was feeling i will never forget.

Oh i almost forgot the "icing on the cake" ending. My final and last visit the old man said he wanted me to have his card tray with the sticker with the logo Coin Amusements on it for my game and give him the one off my game in my collection. The funny thing is his card tray was mint and i had been looking to upgrade the one on my game for years.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

Understood. The point of my story was to say that whether you donate to a group for their actual use or if you donate a game to help raise funds for a good cause, you should donate! We have friends who have a severly austistic child and they thought a pinball machine might be something he'd enjoy, especially if it had a baseball theme. I had a Gottlieb Grand Slam, which I loaned to them to see if he liked. He loved it. I ended up giving it to them as the smile on his face was worth it.
    vic_camp, that's a great story and it was incredibly generous of you to do that. Sometimes, the journey is the best part of the trip. You helped someone spread their love of pinball, you made a friend as well, and they have a great story to tell. While I'm not quite as skilled at repairing games, I'm doing something similar right now. One of my daughter's friends inherited a house after her husband's grandfather died. In the basement was a pinball machine. She knew I collected games and asked if I'd help get it working as they'd like to have it in their house, to remember their grandpa by. I'm working on it right now and I know that when I deliver it, there's no way I'm taking any payment for it. The fact that their grandfather had the game and they'll play it and cherish it will be all the payment I need.
    Dave

I love it when i hear that a pinball machine is being cherished and remembered by family members. I know what that feels like. It's nice your helping them out. Thanks for sharing.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vic_Camp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-donate-a-video-game-or-pinball-machine?tu=Vic_Camp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.