(Topic ID: 234309)

Can you diagnose / locate a G.I. short with a multimeter?

By beefzap

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tktlwyr
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6E27C004-DEEC-4110-9387-1D4A02CED93B (resized).jpeg
    20180111_203119 (resized).jpg
    20190122_211633 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago

Two things that are hard to see that will cause fuses to blow.

One is chaffed wires where the insulation is rubbed away exposing the conductor that is grounded against the metal. Look for that GI string of wires where is may be touching a bracket or other metal part under the playfield.

Another thing I came across a few times was a bad bulb. Typically the whole GI string would be very, very dim for a while and then the fuse would blow. I found that by doing the 'remove all the bulbs and add them back in one by one' method.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I assume you start adding back in from the front of the string? asking cause unsure

Adding back in the lamps? Doesn't matter where you start because the lamps are in parallel. As soon as you put the bad lamp in, the string gets dim or the fuse blows.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Why not just test the lamps with your multi-meter? The one with way lower resistance is the bad one. You could wire up a known good socket with test leads to clip onto if you had a bunch to test.

If only I had remembered to bring it with me on location...

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Any idea about the best way to diagnose on a Spike system?

No idea on Spike. I'm pretty sure all the GI comes from the node boards.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-diagnose-locate-a-gi-short-with-a-multimeter?tu=schudel5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.