• Latest reply 5 years ago by dk2112
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Does anyone know if they can convert a Rottendog MPU011A MPU for a High Speed or Grand Lizard?

I know it says the original sound will not work but can it be adapted - I have seen some forum posts that say you can adpat the board for sound. But, it is a bit much for me...

Anyone doing this or has done this or can recommend someone who can do an adaption of the Rotttendog board for me?

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

If you could get the sound issue figured out, what do you do about the roms not being included? Thinking an update to the chip would be needed?
-Mike

#3 5 years ago

I think a person could burn roms for the game - I don't have the equipment so that is why I am asking if someone who repairs boards - if this is something that can be done.

High Speed / Grand Lizard MPU boards are rare you would think someone would be offering to convert these boards for $$$. Or Rottendog would make an adapter or just make the board.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

High Speed / Grand Lizard MPU boards are rare you would think someone would be offering to convert these boards for $$$. Or Rottendog would make an adapter or just make the board.

The same can be said for system 9 but I think nobody wants to repro ot because it's only for a few machines.
-Mike

#5 5 years ago

I agree on the machine number being two or three but High Speed has about 16k produced and they are old.

Just would be nice if they would convert the Rottendog board, what I read it is backwards compatible except the sound because of the lack of one connection for the sound board.

People say they have added the right plug.
Hoping someone would comment on this that is in the know.

#6 5 years ago

It’s the same board ...

#7 5 years ago

Anyone - could use some opinions here or direction?

I hear crickets....

3 months later
#8 5 years ago

I looked at this a while back. The game's owner found a buyer for the game as-is, so we never went anywhere with it. As I recall, there are two problems that need to be resolved. High Speed (and probably Road Kings) uses smaller ROMs than the later System 11 games. The Rottendog board isn't designed to accommodate the smaller ROMs. It may be possible to work around this by doubling up the image in a larger ROM or padding it so that the data ends up at the right address. The other problem is the audio. As I recall there, a standalone amplifier would have to be added. The High Speed sound board doesn't have an amp, and the Rottendog MPU board doesn't have an amp. So, the sound can be made, but there is no amplifier. In the original Williams design, the amp is on the system 11 board. You would have to run the output from the CPU sound section combined with the sound board output to a small amplifier and then to the speaker. This isn't as hard as it sounds (use the volume control connector). They have amps suitable for this on ebay for like $5.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-convert-a-rottendog-mpu011a-mpu-for-grand-lizard-high-speed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.