(Topic ID: 166957)

Can you buy happiness with a pinball machine?

By jasino313

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Luppin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpg
p1 (resized).png
2-Boiler-Room-quotes (resized).png
thats-so-80s.jpg
toycastle (resized).jpg
happiness pinball (resized).png
2015pics 007 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlipMyBalls.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 7 years ago

Interesting thread. I literally just went through this as I bought my first pin last week. I'm early 30's certainly not rich but I do ok. $5000 was a fair sized investment for me, especially for someone who primarily collects video games. $5000 on a single game was tougher to justify. I like Modding it, doing small easy upgrades that personalize it, and just learning to start tinkering. I can definitely agree with a lot of what people have said on here that buying NIB is not the best idea. I bought a BDK that was in great shape. A good fully working HUO is a good purchase for a new pinball owner and no matter what game you have to be interested in playing pinball almost daily you will need a little variety which is why so many people say once you buy one that there are more sure to follow.

You are used to being 100% player and not worrying about fixing. Fixing is half of the hobby of owning a pin AT LEAST. If you just like playing and no interest in fixing a NIB won't save you. You will have to fix it and probably sooner than you were hoping. over the past 2 weeks I have made a couple small fixes to my game and have one larger fix I will need to figure out but have some help from people on this forum. That's from a game that was 100% working when I got it.

As far as "happiness" goes. personally I find games give me a more shallow happiness. I'm very happy when I am playing the game or I get a high score. But soon after sometimes even 30 minutes after that happiness fades. But Spending time with children, nieces/nephews. Going to the lake with friends and family. spending time walking with your spouse on a beautiful evening, or going on a vacation. These things have a lasting happiness that gives a person memories and fond feelings. I do think there can be a deeper sense of "accomplishment" if you are fixing a machine or bringing an older machine back to life but accomplishment is only a single part of overall happiness. But happiness has different meanings for different people. For me I think the way to achieve happiness is balance. everything balanced in life between games, family, friends, vacation, hard work, even rest. I don't think buying materials brings lasting happiness and sometimes people with the means will continue to buy new things be it pinball machines or video games constantly to chase that initial happiness. Once the shallow happiness fades a new thing needs to be purchased to keep feeling happy. I have been collecting video games for 20 years and now have a few arcades and a pinball machine. I enjoy them in my spare time and sharing with friends and family but at the end of the day my true happiness comes from my experience and bringing happiness into other peoples lives.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 103.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FlipMyBalls.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-buy-happiness-with-a-pinball-machine?tu=FlipMyBalls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.