(Topic ID: 281693)

Can you build a low cost cabinet with basic tools and a 3d printer?

By toyotaboy

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

whitewood (resized).jpg
    backbox_3d_print (resized).png
    3d_printed_cabinet (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Well, this is interesting, the approach looks very sound. Have you thought about how the backbox will go together?

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Well, this is interesting, the approach looks very sound. Have you thought about how the backbox will go together?

Starting to work that out. Again I'm going to design and 3d print robust angle brackets to join 1/2 x 6" pine boards together. Going to have two 3/8 bolts that come up from the cabinet, attach with wingnuts. Bigger center hole is for monitor hookup and 12V LED light power. LCD/speakers in the lower portion, backglass in the top portion. I know it looks like a goofy gottlieb EM backbox, but the spot it's going in is a tight space and I'm not concerned about how it looks during development. If it ever makes it to a show I can have an alternate backbox.
    backbox_3d_print (resized).pngbackbox_3d_print (resized).png

#4 3 years ago

What type of machine would this be for? If for regular commercial machines you need 3/4" thick wood to support the weight of everything and to take player abuse.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

What type of machine would this be for? If for regular commercial machines you need 3/4" thick wood to support the weight of everything and to take player abuse.

Modern pin.. this isn't meant to go in a bar, this is meant as a cheap entry to get a homebrew project started. I'm not convinced it needs to be 3/4", I have a partial whitewood sitting in it now and I've nudged the crap out of it. No creaking, feels solid.

whitewood (resized).jpgwhitewood (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-build-a-low-cost-cabinet-with-basic-tools-and-a-3d-printer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.