Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6E3D0CDA-2C9F-427B-8187-64478851A72D (resized).jpeg
DFD3E82D-5729-41D7-83E8-A8B4570573A0 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

Did a service call today on a Williams Stratoflite.

Can you believe this?

DFD3E82D-5729-41D7-83E8-A8B4570573A0 (resized).jpegDFD3E82D-5729-41D7-83E8-A8B4570573A0 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

On the right is that a jar lid?

Nice drill through on the alum bar

#3 6 years ago

High tap?

#4 6 years ago

Yes, there is a jar and lid in the coin box area.

#5 6 years ago

Wait, the coil plunger has been striking it so much it punched through???

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Nice drill through on the alum bar

Quoted from trueno92:

Wait, the coil plunger has been striking it so much it punched through???

Bingo! The nylon tip was gone and the plunger was sitting below the chime box, having punched its way through. Little aluminum chips everywhere.

#7 6 years ago

Never seen this before.

#8 6 years ago

Didn’t look.

#9 6 years ago

The pinball equivalent of how many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie pop.

How. How long did that take?

#10 6 years ago

When I first started out repairing machines in homes in the mid '70's; I worked for a guy whose dad had a route in Cleveland. The EM's were pulled for home sales. Some of them had the same "holy" chime bars. Simply replace the solenoid plunger with the missing nylon tip and rotate the chime bar 180°.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

The pinball equivalent of how many licks does it take to get to the center of the tootsie pop.
How. How long did that take?

No idea how long that took. I assume that it broke through since the last time I serviced it, which was probably 6-7 years ago, because I didn't notice it then.

Quoted from MrBally:

Simply replace the solenoid plunger with the missing nylon tip and rotate the chime bar 180°.

That was the solution today.

#12 6 years ago

So about that hole... I can tell you from personal experience that if the tip falls off the plunger it does not take all that long to drill a hole. Home use for a little while but not long, I could hear a difference and investigated eventually but not right away, I have a chime bar that’s about 1/5 drilled through on one side. I admit if this was done with a tip on the plunger that is kinda almost unbelievable.

3 years later
#13 2 years ago

Same thing on my Strato Flite. Someone spun it around already. Wonder if it’s the same game or if it’s really just that common.

6E3D0CDA-2C9F-427B-8187-64478851A72D (resized).jpeg6E3D0CDA-2C9F-427B-8187-64478851A72D (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#14 2 years ago

It must be common. This happened on my Williams Gulfstream.

When I bought the machine, I noticed all the aluminum shavings around the chime box but didn't really think much of it (it was my first pinball machine so I didn't know any better). I played the heck out of the machine after I got it up and running and then one day, I heard a loud pop and opened the machine to find a hole in one of the chime bars. I found the plunger and sure enough, the nylon tip was missing. As a temporary fix, I turned the bar 180 degrees and borrowed the plunger from the knocker.

By the time the new plunger came, I had cut and drilled all new chime bars. I just purchased aluminum flat bar at Home Depot with the same width and thickness as the original chime bars.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 13.49
Electronics
Troxel Repair
Electronics
$ 3.95
Electronics
Penny K Pinball
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-believe-this-williams-stratoflite?hl=trueno92 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.