Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by OlDirty
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180925_214754 (resized).jpg
    20181001_004039 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I had to pass this screenshot along b/c to me it represents a new level of realism within the virtual pinball world. I don't want to get into the physics and how it's not the "real" thing. I just wanted to alert others of the technical achievements being made in the virtual space.

http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/TAF_0908_plastics.png

Addams Family - Soon to be released on VPX. This was taken from monsterbashpincab.com

Truly amazing! Zoom in and around - I still can't believe it's not real.

#2 5 years ago

Whether people like it or not, virtual pinball is gonna keep getting better and more popular. It is amazing how far they have come already.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Whether people like it or not, virtual pinball is gonna keep getting better and more popular. It is amazing how far they have come already.

Good, maybe people will start selling their physical machines for virtual ones. I'll be waiting to buy when that happens.

#4 5 years ago

Wow! This is seriously amazing! I can't get over how real this looks...the reflections are incredible!

#5 5 years ago

That's really impressive. Looks real to me.

#6 5 years ago

That's great..
    As long as I'm standing where the camera is. If I step back, or to the side, then it looks really horrid. Well, it looks like I'm looking at a TV.

#7 5 years ago

A picture of a playfield is one thing but it's all the dynamic stuff that is hard to emulate. The lighting effects, ball movement, physics, shadows, etc. Plus, like Coyote said you cannot replicate viewing position unless you have a vr headset thing. That's one thing that always bugged me about vitual pinball. You cannot change your viewing position to see around a crowded playfield. You are stuck looking to it from one perspective only. It would be cool to see what can be done with some serious hardward and some serious dev time in creating playfields. However, that wouldn't be cheap so might as well just go for the real thing.

#8 5 years ago

Virtual pinball sucks. It's like fake boobs, they look nice from a distance and in clothes but when you touch them something is obviously amiss. Even with great graphics the games are completely flat and the physics are off. Don't be spellbound by the pictures. It isn't even close. Hard pass.

#9 5 years ago

And like fake boobs VP probably isnt going away anytime soon. If anything like fake boobs it will get bigger

#10 5 years ago

all the things already said about VP yes. But that REALLY looks like it's real life. WOW.

A few weeks ago I saw a "Crossy Road" redemption game which had a fully transparent LCD screen on it. It would turn on, you'd play the game. then the screen would turn off, it would show yuo all the prizes directly behind the LCD screen, which now just looked like a glass window. It was remarkable. If there is ever a VP table which can use 2 or 3 of those screens to create some depth, and those feedback coils, then VP may actually have something there.

Until then.. this is probably the only way I'll ever own another TAF!

#11 5 years ago

yeah - as I expected some pinsiders didn't read my full message as I clearly mention this is not a judgment on pinball vs virtual - this is simply to appreciate what they are achieving in the virtual space b/c to me, this literally looks real. I just hope it's not like the madden xbox 360 hype video that doesn't deliver!

#12 5 years ago

Thanks for the post @delt31. The only thing that can unite Stern, B/W, JJP, and Spooky fanboys is mutual VP hate. Plus, most on here think Pinball Arcade and FX3 are VP. No, REAL virtual pinball is VPX. Best physics, table designs, and mods (yep) hands down! I love having a full force feedback cab. I can play any game I want from EM to SAM whenever I want. For the games I truly love, I can buy the real thing. So, until I can afford a 20-50 pin collection, I'll take my 7 real pins and 455 virtual ones.

#13 5 years ago

They nailed the refraction and transparency effects in the ramps and pop bumper caps.

#14 5 years ago

Here's the last page of the actual thread where this is being developed. It does really look amazing.
    http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/forums/topic/the-addams-family/page/10/

#15 5 years ago

I do like how some of the inserts have ghosting to give it that authentic look.

#16 5 years ago

When can we see actual video? What does it look like with actual movement and changing light?

#17 5 years ago

I will say I do appreciate virtual pinball as it brings people into real pinball. I assume it's hard to go back though.

#18 5 years ago

Built a VP which is how I ended up here. Once I got a real one it was hard to go back. I'd love to have another one if the software physics and graphics could be much better!

#19 5 years ago

The same author g5k who is currently working on this TAF also recently did T2 and AFM.

I use to be really into the VP scene back in 2008-2012 and built two virtual cabs but after I got a taste of real pins I shifted my attention. I'm pretty much maxed out for space and been through quite a few titles in the past 8-9 years collecting. I got to play my friend's VP cab and I was very impressed with how far VPX (aka Visual Pinball v10) has come compared to VP9 which was what I ran back in the day. I've been slowly collecting parts and going to be building another virutal cab with all the bells and whistles like force feedback, real dmd, chimes etc... This will fill in the last available slot in my collection and hoping it will help scratch the itch I get sometimes to play older EMs, 80's SS and even some of these newer Sterns that have been recreated. Have a look at this nicely done White Water in VPX and pay attention to the light show and even reflections cast on the ball as it rolls around the playfield.

There is no substitute for the real thing and to be honest if it wasn't for me getting into VP and building my own cab I wouldn't have discovered my pinball hobby. I think another thing people take for granted is all these awesome recreations are done by other pinball enthusiasts for FREE to the community. You should check out the TAF thread from beginning to current to appreciate the work and hours put into it so far.

http://www.monsterbashpincab.com/forums/topic/the-addams-family

Hell someone even manage to crack the Stern code an a version of Ghostbusters was released on VPX briefly because a C&D was issued to the monsterbashcab website by Farsight. You can see it in action here and it does look like rainbow puke but a lot of these "extras" can be turned on/off like the green glowing ball in the table's script

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Truly amazing! Zoom in and around - I still can't believe it's not real.

yeah that tom tower guy puts out great stuff.
    I was impressed with all the vp9 stuff, when they released vp10 I was blown away.

Obviously it's not real, but it's the best emulation out there IMO.
    I'm fine with the look and angles or whatever, it's the nudging that kills it for me.
    Holding on to my cab because it lets me get familiar with tables I might be interested in. Could be a plus if your a tournament player to help you understand rule sets to games you don't have access to. They have almost every game ever made on those websites minus spike and up and some various EM's.

#21 5 years ago

I enjoy my virtual pin and have owned over 14 real cabs. The vp cab has been fantastic for checking potential future pin purchases - and scratching the occasional itch to play a pre 80’s pin that I have no real interest in owning.

#22 5 years ago

Thinking of acquiring a VP cabinet, any suggestions on resellers would be welcomed! Would love one with force feedback.

#23 5 years ago

Isn't this sixaxis's rendering of Addams Family?

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Virtual pinball sucks.

The ways it "sucks" are more than offset by the ways it doesn't:

* One machine takes up so much less space than 10, or 30, or any number up to the hundreds possible
    * Practically never breaks
    * Never needs cleaning (not like real pins -- sure, the screen needs an occasional wiping)
    * As quiet as you might require (even turned down, real pins make a racket)
    * Most obviously, the cost vs tens or hundreds of real pins
    * Virtual tech steadily improves - someday will be indistinguishable from real
    * Original virtual tables can do physically impossible tricks
    * Try playing a real pin while sitting on the can!
    * Online competition can involve identical machines, with no unavoidable mechanical variations
    * Practicing on a small screen actually trains your brain to react quicker, making real games seem slower and easier

Try playing Elvira and the Party Monsters on an Atari Lynx if you want to see "sucks"! I recently ran across my old Lynx and fired that game up, vaguely remembering having enjoyed it, only to be astounded how bad it was! (A scrolling window following the ball around viewed from straight above!) Compared to that, playing it on my tablet is 98% of the way to the real thing!

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

The ways it "sucks" are more than offset by the ways it doesn't:
    * One machine takes up so much less space than 10, or 30, or any number up to the hundreds possible
    * Practically never breaks
    * Never needs cleaning (not like real pins -- sure, the screen needs an occasional wiping)
    * As quiet as you might require (even turned down, real pins make a racket)
    * Most obviously, the cost vs tens or hundreds of real pins
    * Virtual tech steadily improves - someday will be indistinguishable from real
    * Original virtual tables can do physically impossible tricks
    * Try playing a real pin while sitting on the can!
    * Online competition can involve identical machines, with no unavoidable mechanical variations
    * Practicing on a small screen actually trains your brain to react quicker, making real games seem slower and easier
    Try playing Elvira and the Party Monsters on an Atari Lynx if you want to see "sucks"! I recently ran across my old Lynx and fired that game up, vaguely remembering having enjoyed it, only to be astounded how bad it was! (A scrolling window following the ball around viewed from straight above!) Compared to that, playing it on my tablet is 98% of the way to the real thing!

This reminded me. A couple weeks ago I found High Speed and Pinbot for NES. Surprisingly not bad all things considered.

#26 5 years ago

I recently bought a virtual pin. I rebuilt the computer inside and replaced the tv with a 4k. With the latest software and
    the absolute raw power of this computer (GPU really matters), visual pinball has never looked or played this well.

No real flipper lag that I can detect (monitor/tv is very important so find the one with the lowest input lag). It's incredibly smooth (like pinball arcade 60fps) yet plays like/not exact but very close to a real machine as the physics engine is really good. These
    new tables that are coming out are absolutely gorgeous and as someone mentioned early, it really helps scratch the itch
    of tables you don't want to buy but get that taste and move on. I'm putting in a pin2dmd soon - currently have pindmd2 (I know
    super confusing) but I want color. My previous virtual (vpcabs) had a monitor for the DMD and now owning real, it's the way
    to go as the DMD is so much vibrant - well it's like using a realy dmd b/c it is!

I'm really happy with the cab I have. Word to the wise - force feedback is IMPERATIVE. You will see people say it's not needed
    there is even something called Poor Mans Feedback now called Surround Sound feedback. It's better than nothing but it's not
    a replacement (hence the name). If you're going to jump into VP, go all in and get that feedback b/c it really does help
    further trick the brain. The full size cab also blends right in to my current setup. Very happy with it!

Btw 4k is another huge difference compared to what I had before. I'm not a believer in 4k in general as I never really saw a big difference...with VP there's different and I think it's bc I'm so close to the tv playing it. Things are so crisp and clear I can even read the text on the virtual apron cards!
    20181001_004039 (resized).jpg20181001_004039 (resized).jpg

20180925_214754 (resized).jpg20180925_214754 (resized).jpg

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

4k is another huge difference compared to what I had before.

Maybe you should build a virtual pin with an 82" Samsung 4K flatscreen so you can emulate Hercules on it?

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I recently bought a virtual pin.

I remember you were looking for a while. I didn't see that you got one. Do you mind telling me where you got it and what you went with? PM would be fine. Interest is starting to peak a bit.

1 week later
    #29 5 years ago

Bought used professional build. I ended up upgrading it with 4K tv better got etc. it’s working super well

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Word to the wise - force feedback is IMPERATIVE.

I have all the crap for mine.... I'm just to lazy to install it.
    used to mess around with the front end stuff, Even made instruction cards for several of the games like buck hunter.
    Now I just download the essentials and play it straight through VP.
    If you can get PinballX working it's really nice.

1 week later
    #31 5 years ago

I played pinball as a kid and teenager in the 80s and 90s. Then the tables vanished from bowling alleysand hotel gamerooms so I am by no means an expert on gameplay. I recently played 10 different real tables at a bar after spending the last 4 years messing around with fp and vp9. I doubt I could ever see the physics difference except when the ball jumped. the Jurassic Park rattle would be nice to have but I didn't feel any feedback on the other tables. Maybe cause it was so busy and noisy in there. I tried to nudge the table for the first time strategically and the ball didn't move! Damn table is heavy. So I really don't need that feature. Using a button works for me. I only slam into it when a ball gets stuck. So a 4k vpx cabinet is better for me I think. I am good with setting up computers so I don't have to spend $6000. I can't see 4k on my desktop right now. I'm sure these new vpx tables will be amazing on a new pc in a cabinet. My kid likes the ball and toys in the cabinets and all that really makes a real table exciting to look at but it isn't practical for me to own one. They we're never intended for home use as I've learned by going through the coin door menus and reading manuals. They are money makers. I'll leave that to an occasional arcade visit. If I can figure out feedback easily and cheap sure I'll put in. I think zebs plunger comes with nudging so I'll have that too

1 year later
    #32 4 years ago

Have you tried visual pinball in virtual reality? It's f** stunning. It's really something else than looking on a 2D screen. You're standing in front of the "real" thing and play pinball. Even better if you have a pinball controller. You can move your head and the view is like in reality. The only thing what isn't perfect is maybe the physics, but it's also pretty good already. Better than Pinball Arcade i think.
    Check out this graphics, yes it's VR only and not the real thing

These tables are ready to play in VR and all the other visual pinball tables can be also played (problem is the DMD is "somewhere").

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/categories/vpx-vr-tables/

official forum:
    https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=38417&page=64

#33 4 years ago

Yep! It's what I currently play now and blows the roof off of 2d. Performance and physics continues to be a challenge but that's not new. A great alternative never a replacement but great to have

#34 4 years ago

Is Visual Pinball 10 all 3D now? I know in previous versions its been mostly 2D aside from the flippers and basic interactive elements.

#35 4 years ago

I opened a lot of visual pinball 10 tables (not optimized ones for VR) and they can be all played in VR. Only problem is that the DMD is sometimes too small or not visible. But that can be corrected if you know how (i don't know how yet ).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-believe-this-isn-t-real-new-virtual-pin-achievement?hl=adamross and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.