(Topic ID: 279383)

Can Williams transformer 15 A 6773 be wired for 110v?

By Jahkub

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dent00
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0transformer-Work-01 (resized).jpg
20201012_172216 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 11.32.27 AM (resized).png
AED8B606-EEAC-47BA-8163-0ECF5A39C75A (resized).png
20201012_095654 (resized).jpg
20201012_095746 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jahkub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I'm currently working on a 67' Williams Shangri-la that has been re-imported from Europe. I'm assuming the 15 A 6773 transformer has no way to be wired for use in the USA but maybe it can be?

If not, I'm assuming a decent step up transformer would be an ok workaround, with the 50hz score motor running a bit faster.
20201012_095746 (resized).jpg20201012_095746 (resized).jpg

20201012_095654 (resized).jpg20201012_095654 (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It has different taps for voltages that you can see at the bottom in your first pic, but being 50 hz you may run into issues with the score motor speed. It might work - but better to get a 60 hz transformer. There are a few on Ebay unless you find one elsewhere.

I don't think the transformer cares about the frequency, but the input voltage was what my question was about.
I'll probably just go with the step up transformer and a 60hz score motor.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

There are also 5 coils on the high side of the transformer. Check to see if they are the same coils shown on this 110V system schematic. If not, they would need to replaced in addition to the STEP DOWN transformer. If you don't change the score motor it would run 20% faster probably causing switch closure/timing issues. So I believe you need to change the score motor as well, rated for 60Hz.
[quoted image]

Thanks, I didn't think about the HV coils! Shouldn't be a problem if I keep it on ~220v though.

#7 3 years ago

In case it was unclear earlier, I plan on using an external step up transformer that was provided by the client.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Why did you change your thread title to include the word no? As wayout440 pointed out in post two you can see the 115v tap at the bottom of the transformer in one of the photos you posted.

So there is the 115v lug, but where would the other wire go? The only other lugs are ~220v.
If it can me wired for ~110v then great, but I'm not seeing how.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I'm curious if anyone here can post a pic of the same circuit as above but from a 220V system/schematic.

I searched for a good while but never did find it.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

So transformers run here in Europe on 220Volts have that outlet to grab (in the middle, Voltage-Divider) 110Volts.

I think this is where the confusion is happening on the high lugs, there are 3 wires going in the high side (from left to right in pic below) purple, black, brown. If the black and brown are the hot and neutral, the 3rd wire on the 115v lug is likely the voltage divider output.

Quoted from Dent00:

A better photo of the high side transformer connections would be helpful.

20201012_172216 (resized).jpg20201012_172216 (resized).jpg

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

And honestly, if this is something you’re doing for a customer you should be consulting an electrician or other suitable professional. Don’t just take the word of some guy on the internet.

I totally agree, at least now the wiring makes more sense with what Rolf said.

#17 3 years ago

I'd still love to look at an export version of the schematic if one exists.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jahkub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-williams-transformer-15-a-6773-be-wired-for-110v-?tu=Jahkub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.