2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pins4u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210620_121518 (resized).jpg
    20210620_121537 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I had a hood scoop re-welded & was wondering if I was to use a dremel to grind the weld spots so new decals would lay flat? Or would doing so take away the strength of the weld?
    20210620_121518 (resized).jpg20210620_121518 (resized).jpg20210620_121537 (resized).jpg20210620_121537 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Those welds look pretty sketchy. A good weld would penetrate the metals enough to fuse them together.

I'd grind them flat enough for the decals to lay flat, but no more than that.

#3 2 years ago

You can absolutely grind those no issue. Someone just got a bit over done on the wire lol. Even a simple dremel can fix that.

#4 2 years ago

Agree with Pablito - the welds are cold. Grind them flat, but don't be too surprised if the whatever is trying to be held together break loose. Find a real welder if they break free.

#5 2 years ago

that mech is made with folded tabs and insert tabs, not full seam welds. Grinding that flat you risk removing all the tab and losing the only spot that is actually from second piece that is welded.

#6 2 years ago

Ok... so basically I could grind the high spots almost flat & be ok?

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from scampcamp:

Ok... so basically I could grind the high spots almost flat & be ok?

You need to see if the weld is through to the second piece more than the spot you are removing.

#8 2 years ago

"Can Weld Spots be Grinded Flat?"

No, but they could probably be GROUND flat.....

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

"Can Weld Spots be Grinded Flat?"
    No, but they could probably be GROUND flat.....

Thanks Karen

#10 2 years ago

Oh, GREAT - so Karen is able to spell and use grammar correctly. Good to know.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-weld-spots-be-grinded-flat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.