Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200806_000127858 (resized).jpg
    9e3abeb3ff8d86f42d3a8e624bf861b3890579a40469184f1c1a68c3791aa3ec (resized).jpg
    040E0D88-5395-467E-A589-8DB0131DE9B7 (resized).png
    3C7D35EC-F2F1-4345-978F-968FC8AEC306 (resized).png
    2k3pde (resized).jpg
    2k3pde (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200621-231505 (resized).png
    tenor.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 3 years ago

I spent all Friday looking into this and it's some real weird bug with the EXIF data on some phones. Not quite sure what the deal is, but I just wanted to let you know I'm looking into it.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I have no problems clicking on my pic, once uploaded, and rotating it. Then posting it.
    I think people just don’t know how to rotate as they need to click the photo to the see the option to do so.

Yes, I have also been working on simplifying that interface. It seemed easy to do, but turned out quite the headache. It's certainly up for a UI upgrade

#22 3 years ago

First of all, improved edit buttons, including rotate, are in beta testing now. They will be "always on" (no longer requiring a "mouse hover" or initial touch to display) and easier to touch on mobile.

The image orientation issue is a tough nut to crack. Something very funky is going on...

Warning, what follows is technical stuff.

Pinside uses a javascript xmlhttp uploader (called "fine uploader") that supports client-side image resizing. This means that your computer/phone will resize images before they upload to Pinside. This is needed because Pinside cannot technically and financially handle the bandwidth of all your 10MB+ images being uploaded from your state of the art iPhone 12 Pro's and Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra's and whatnots

Our client-side resizer will also perform orientation correction based on the EXIF 'orientation' field. Here's where things get wonky. The uploader we use is no longer being maintained, so the issue could be there.

But we also do server-side rotation in case the client side resizing is disabled (e.g. when you select "upload original") which is handled by another package called "Intervention image".

And then there is an issue where iOS will strip the orientation tag when you select a resized image on your phone.

I have been experimenting with disabling/tweaking/debugging either one of these but have not yet found a cause for the issue (or a solution). My thought is that improved image rotate buttons will at least help you correct orientation issues yourself. While I work on the deeper cause for this. I might have to switch to a completely new uploader. I'm just not sure yet.

It could be any of these issues, or a combination of these. I'm not sure when this issue started - if anyone has a date when this started happening I can look into the github of each project (and also in our own git repo) to find clues.

Sorry for the hassle!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-stop-with-the-sideways-photos?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.