Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200806_000127858 (resized).jpg
    9e3abeb3ff8d86f42d3a8e624bf861b3890579a40469184f1c1a68c3791aa3ec (resized).jpg
    040E0D88-5395-467E-A589-8DB0131DE9B7 (resized).png
    3C7D35EC-F2F1-4345-978F-968FC8AEC306 (resized).png
    2k3pde (resized).jpg
    2k3pde (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200621-231505 (resized).png
    tenor.gif
    #1 3 years ago

You can rotate your pics in the marketplace you know?

#2 3 years ago

tenor.giftenor.gif
    #3 3 years ago
    Screenshot_20200621-231505 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200621-231505 (resized).png
    #4 3 years ago

2020 strikes again!

#5 3 years ago

Plus 1

#6 3 years ago

I spent all Friday looking into this and it's some real weird bug with the EXIF data on some phones. Not quite sure what the deal is, but I just wanted to let you know I'm looking into it.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I spent all Friday looking into this and it's some real weird bug with the EXIF data on some phones. Not quite sure what the deal is, but I just wanted to let you know I'm looking into it.

I have no problems clicking on my pic, once uploaded, and rotating it. Then posting it.

I think people just don’t know how to rotate as they need to click the photo to the see the option to do so.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I have no problems clicking on my pic, once uploaded, and rotating it. Then posting it.
    I think people just don’t know how to rotate as they need to click the photo to the see the option to do so.

Yes, I have also been working on simplifying that interface. It seemed easy to do, but turned out quite the headache. It's certainly up for a UI upgrade

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

It's not always true.

Even if you click the photo after uploading, the option to rotate is NOT available when posting a pic for high scores.

Maybe it's a software upgrade causing the problem with Android phones.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

My phone all ways used to default to correct side as top. I hold the phone, take a pic, post a pic. All way good.

A few months back something broke in a site update. Now about 50% are sideways.
    Of those, about 30% can’t be turned.

Even when you can turn, it is a PITA due to how small that turn button is

#11 3 years ago

Yep, new Android phone here, and the spin button only comes up for half a second, no way to use it.
    Still doesn't explain why pics come up sideways in first place.
    Old Android, no problem.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

If I upload a photo from my laptop, I can rotate fine. From my phone, that option is not available. Android platform.

#13 3 years ago

I can rotate on my iPhone ... it’s super picky about the touch zone of the rotate button ... you kinda have to lightly touch it.... it’s funky

#14 3 years ago

I especially liked the 15000 MM with the completely upside down pics. You have to get up into that upper echelon of games to go full 180! I never commented on it in the forum thread as i refuse to bump those types of ads...

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

You can rotate your pics in the marketplace you know?

The problem when you rotate the pictures it makes them really small

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

People Do know how to rotate it that however does not make it Not a problem. Like Whysnow mentioned this started happening a few months ago for no reason.

#17 3 years ago

Stop the World, I want to get off!

#18 3 years ago
    2k3pde (resized).jpg2k3pde (resized).jpg
    #19 3 years ago

Oops sorry

2k3pde (resized).jpg2k3pde (resized).jpg

#20 3 years ago

On mobile, the rotate function is impossible to pull off. I try to flip them back when I get a desktop.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yes, I have also been working on simplifying that interface. It seemed easy to do, but turned out quite the headache. It's certainly up for a UI upgrade

Please update in this topic if resolved.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picture-orientation-issues#post-5715038

#22 3 years ago

First of all, improved edit buttons, including rotate, are in beta testing now. They will be "always on" (no longer requiring a "mouse hover" or initial touch to display) and easier to touch on mobile.

The image orientation issue is a tough nut to crack. Something very funky is going on...

Warning, what follows is technical stuff.

Pinside uses a javascript xmlhttp uploader (called "fine uploader") that supports client-side image resizing. This means that your computer/phone will resize images before they upload to Pinside. This is needed because Pinside cannot technically and financially handle the bandwidth of all your 10MB+ images being uploaded from your state of the art iPhone 12 Pro's and Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra's and whatnots

Our client-side resizer will also perform orientation correction based on the EXIF 'orientation' field. Here's where things get wonky. The uploader we use is no longer being maintained, so the issue could be there.

But we also do server-side rotation in case the client side resizing is disabled (e.g. when you select "upload original") which is handled by another package called "Intervention image".

And then there is an issue where iOS will strip the orientation tag when you select a resized image on your phone.

I have been experimenting with disabling/tweaking/debugging either one of these but have not yet found a cause for the issue (or a solution). My thought is that improved image rotate buttons will at least help you correct orientation issues yourself. While I work on the deeper cause for this. I might have to switch to a completely new uploader. I'm just not sure yet.

It could be any of these issues, or a combination of these. I'm not sure when this issue started - if anyone has a date when this started happening I can look into the github of each project (and also in our own git repo) to find clues.

Sorry for the hassle!

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Sorry for the hassle!

This is like santa telling the kid sorry for bringing the wrong colored wagon.

Thanks for this site Robin. Without Pinside, i don't know how i'd make it through a work day.

1 week later
    #24 3 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Quoted from robin:

First of all, improved edit buttons, including rotate, are in beta testing now. They will be "always on" (no longer requiring a "mouse hover" or initial touch to display) and easier to touch on mobile.
    The image orientation issue is a tough nut to crack. Something very funky is going on...
    Warning, what follows is technical stuff.
    Pinside uses a javascript xmlhttp uploader (called "fine uploader") that supports client-side image resizing. This means that your computer/phone will resize images before they upload to Pinside. This is needed because Pinside cannot technically and financially handle the bandwidth of all your 10MB+ images being uploaded from your state of the art iPhone 12 Pro's and Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra's and whatnots
    Our client-side resizer will also perform orientation correction based on the EXIF 'orientation' field. Here's where things get wonky. The uploader we use is no longer being maintained, so the issue could be there.
    But we also do server-side rotation in case the client side resizing is disabled (e.g. when you select "upload original") which is handled by another package called "Intervention image".
    And then there is an issue where iOS will strip the orientation tag when you select a resized image on your phone.
    I have been experimenting with disabling/tweaking/debugging either one of these but have not yet found a cause for the issue (or a solution). My thought is that improved image rotate buttons will at least help you correct orientation issues yourself. While I work on the deeper cause for this. I might have to switch to a completely new uploader. I'm just not sure yet.
    It could be any of these issues, or a combination of these. I'm not sure when this issue started - if anyone has a date when this started happening I can look into the github of each project (and also in our own git repo) to find clues.
    Sorry for the hassle!

Robin, you’re awesome!!
    Thanks so much for all you do.
    I did notice this issue with the site update, the rotate button would sometimes not show up or disappear immediately, or sometimes it showed up and I couldn’t press it for whatever reason.
    It’s definitely an improvement that the picture editing tools are always displayed now (in beta). I love a lot of the functionality of Pinside.
    It’s a little ironic that it’s so mobile friendly AND so PC friendly because supporting both at the same time seems to inadvertently make things difficult on occasion!

Thank you SO MUCH for creating and maintaining Pinside! You and your brother are the most righteous dudes!
    I need to put in a big donation because about 1/3 of my employers money pays for me to be on this site anyway lol

#25 3 years ago

It’s spreading to FB Marketplace too.

The new Corona.

040E0D88-5395-467E-A589-8DB0131DE9B7 (resized).png040E0D88-5395-467E-A589-8DB0131DE9B7 (resized).png3C7D35EC-F2F1-4345-978F-968FC8AEC306 (resized).png3C7D35EC-F2F1-4345-978F-968FC8AEC306 (resized).png
    #26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

It’s spreading to FB Marketplace too.
    The new Corona.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Robin, can you please fix the entire internet as well?

#27 3 years ago

Gangsta style!

#28 3 years ago
    9e3abeb3ff8d86f42d3a8e624bf861b3890579a40469184f1c1a68c3791aa3ec (resized).jpg9e3abeb3ff8d86f42d3a8e624bf861b3890579a40469184f1c1a68c3791aa3ec (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #30 3 years ago

I figured out a cure. Lightly tap the bottom right corner of pic, and there is the spin icon. It seems the "button" is off.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I figured out a cure. Lightly tap the bottom right corner of pic, and there is the spin icon. It seems the "button" is off.

thanks Jjsmooth, that worked for me just placed a pin up for sale.

#32 3 years ago

Wow. I feel almost moderatey.
    Kind of.

#33 3 years ago

Is this thread still going?

IMG_20200806_000127858 (resized).jpgIMG_20200806_000127858 (resized).jpg
    #34 3 years ago

When will we address the real problem: not taking the damn glass off. I can turn my head, but I can't wipe the crap off your game or see through glare and reflections.

Don C.

#35 3 years ago

H d y d t o o o o h w u a , t

#36 3 years ago

The easiest solution is just for people to take photos properly, with the phone horizontally and not vertical

#37 3 years ago

I don’t know about anybody else. Pinside rotation button for images , doesn’t work on my phone...

1 week later
    #38 3 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

[quoted image]

Lmfao

#39 3 years ago

Rotate button doesn’t work on my phone .

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-stop-with-the-sideways-photos?hl=midniight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.