(Topic ID: 224414)

Can we stop wiping down games with the underside of your shirt? Gross!

By pinlink

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    fat-bastard (resized).jpg
    images(2).jpg
    Towelie-never-forget (resized).jpg
    towelie-dont-forget (resized).jpg
    flint (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    _pdp_sq_ (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    5x2_George_protecting_his_hands.png
    There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

I see this all the time in tourneys and our local league. I am not calling out one individual here, but rather a plea to the tourney community.

Player steps up to play, sweaty from playing/standing for a couple hours, peels the t shirt off of his sweaty stomach and wipes down the lockdown bar and flipper buttons with said shirt that may or may not have ever been washed, and plays his game. Ball drains and now its my turn to step up to the germ infested pinball machine. I don't carry a collection of sanitary wipes with me, and don't want to have to disinfect the game each time I play a ball. Seriously grosses me out, but I see this ALL THE TIME. Please bring a towel with you. Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

You do know that everything you touch is just as dirty....carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and let it go...

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I see this all the time in tourneys and our local league. I am not calling out one individual here, but rather a plea to the tourney community.
    Player steps up to play, sweaty from playing/standing for a couple hours, peels the t shirt off of his sweaty stomach and wipes down the lockdown bar and flipper buttons with said shirt that may or may not have ever been washed, and plays his game. Ball drains and now its my turn to step up to the germ infested pinball machine. I don't carry a collection of sanitary wipes with me, and don't want to have to disinfect the game each time I play a ball. Seriously grosses me out, but I see this ALL THE TIME. Please bring a towel with you. Thanks.

I agree it is nasty in perception, but reality is that pinball (and anything that has constant hand funk applied) is gonna be nasty.

Reality is that your personal hygiene and encouraging others to practice good hand washing is more important if you are concerned with germ transmission.

Wash your hands well with warm water and soap for at least 60 seconds and focus on nail beds and places where germs hide out in creases.
    Dont touch your face or pick your nose with dirty hands.

If it is just perception then convince yourself that pinball is already dirty and get over it or bring your own rubber gloves to wear... (I have seen that also amazingly)

#4 5 years ago

What is worse? That or the crop dusters at pinball shows?

#5 5 years ago

I am not a tournament player and rarely play on location because I don't have many opportunities to do so. At homes, I wipe with the underside of my shirt to get the greasy hand/sweat off the game. I do not use any part of the shirt that is sweaty or dirty. It is the part of the shirt that hangs down loosely over the pants that is being used. I also wash my shirts after each use. The games get dirty/greasy quickly and if the shirt is the only thing you have handy to wipe them then it is much better than leaving the games nasty in my opinion.

If I were a tournament player, I would probably bring a towel because it involves a lot of strangers rather than just friends and family.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

What is worse? That or the crop dusters at pinball shows?

THE CROP DUSTING!!!!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

THE CROP DUSTING!!!!

And BO!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

You do know that everything you touch is just as dirty

When someone reeks of BO and sweat and wipes their grossness on the machine right before you play it, that shit is nasty. If you're cool with it, awesome. Seems disrespectful to the other players to me.

Quoted from cosmokramer:

....carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and let it go...

After every ball??

#9 5 years ago

Is this a tote related grievance?

#10 5 years ago

you know what is 20X worse than wiping down the playfield glass, trim, and buttons with your t-shirt....? putting your hands on and playing a game after some sweaty fat disgusting person sweats all of his/her body juices all over the game... YUUUUUUUUUUCK

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Obviously tote bags are worse, I'm not irrational.

#12 5 years ago

I suppose it serves the same result as a waitress wiping down a countertop with a rag. The big dirt and spills are gone, but it's not "sanitized".

We have immune systems for a reason, and I've never heard anecdotal reports of "pinball show flu" where everyone got sick afterwards.

So... do what makes you feel better.

#13 5 years ago

Just think of your average door handle. How often do you see businesses cleaning door handles? The average tournament lockdown bar is probably way more sanitary than your average door handle. The owners of said tournament machine likely cleaned it at least ONCE in it's lifetime.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

We have immune systems for a reason, and I've never heard anecdotal reports of "pinball show flu" where everyone got sick afterwards.

I've definitely heard of sick people still coming to pinball shows or tournaments and passing around the flu.

If you are sick, stay home.

#15 5 years ago

Just bring a towel and hang it off your belt. Im going to start doing this. I do it when I Frisbee golf to wipe off my discs.

#16 5 years ago

Well I have to say I am shocked that I'm the only one who could do without a fresh layer of gross being lathered on the machine before I step up (3 downvotes in 30 minutes LOL!). Seems like most actually prefer it! All good!

#17 5 years ago

Is it better if you step up to a sweat soaked pin? Thought that was the point of wiping the pin down. No telling what germs are already on pins and arcade games out in public. I imagine some on location have never been cleaned in 20+ years.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Well I have to say I am shocked that I'm the only one who could do without a fresh layer of gross being lathered on the machine before I step up (3 downvotes in 30 minutes LOL!). Seems like most actually prefer it! All good!

I'm willing to bet that there are more germs on my hands right now than on the inside of my shirt.

If someone has been running around in a hot arcade all day and their shirt is actually sweaty, I'd prefer they not wipe the game down, but honestly, I believe that most people who would take the time to do that are going to have a relatively clean and dry shirt. Regardless, I'm going to wash my hands after playing the games.

Have you ever been bowling? Use a house ball? What about the shoes? Have you had any food or drink while there?

#19 5 years ago

There's no way that shirt is dirtier than their hands. No way I'm playing a game covered in sweat from the last guy. If it's not sweaty I'm not going to bother though.

#20 5 years ago

No one wants to play a machine covered in sweat but everyone wants to wipe the machine down with their sweat covered shirts??

#21 5 years ago

I apologize for being grossed out by this, I should just remember how dirty door handles are next time I see it happen (lol).

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Take it to tiltforums!!!!!

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Classic.

#24 5 years ago

Dam! I'm not playing hard enough!

I'm not breaking a sweat when I play.

Thanks for confirming how bad of a player I am!

#25 5 years ago

I get it that pins are sweaty and gross in tournaments. Wiping down machines with a towel makes a ton of sense. The problem with wiping down machines with your shirt is now all of that filth is on your stretched out shirt and you carry it with you for the rest of the day. At least you can wash your hands. Maybe tournaments should include one towel per player with the entry fee. Generic ones that are used for waxing and cleaning pins can be had for $0.89 a piece. I'd gladly pay that with my entry fee. Tournaments could even have them made with their logo on them as a keepsake. This needs to happen.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-PROCLOTH

#26 5 years ago

SFGE has had some of the hand sanitizer dispensers set up around the gamerooms, I think that's a brilliant move.

I don't run into any real sweaty machines, but I am always conscious about washing my hands before eating/drinking or touching my face. Keeping the spread of viruses down is something we all have to take part in.

#27 5 years ago

Mmmm

Pinballgloves?
    Pin-gloves

I just made you a millionair i think
    Be so kind to share!

#28 5 years ago

Just think all the people who don't wash hands after use of restroom. Then tbat gets on your shirt and on you.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Your alien-manatee should have one in your avatar !!!!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Just think all the people who don't wash hands after use of restroom. Then tbat gets on your shirt and on you.

I have flat out heard people in stalls sound like they're lifting weights, with sounds that make me envision that the throat of the toilet just had a goiter, and then they just walk right out wiping their face WITHOUT washing their hands at all.

Makes me gag every time. When I first saw that in 2010, I understood right then and there why people use a paper towel to open a bathroom door handle.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Mmmm
    Pinballgloves?
    Pin-gloves
    I just made you a millionair i think
    Be so kind to share!

Something like this?

5x2_George_protecting_his_hands.png5x2_George_protecting_his_hands.png

Quoted from NPO:

Your alien-manatee should have one in your avatar !!!!

I am anti-tote after that thread

#32 5 years ago

What grosses me out is the bowl of mints that some restaurants have. It's bad enough when they're wrapped, but those restaurants that just have a bowl of those chalky mints and you grab a few, . The same guy that walked out of the bathroom without washing his hands stops by the mint bowl on his way out...

#33 5 years ago

I usually bring a urine soaked rag to wipe down games with.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I usually bring a urine soaked rag to wipe down games with.

Urine is essentially sterile. . .

Unless you have some sort of health situation.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Urine is essentially sterile.

Bear Grylls

#36 5 years ago

Bring a towel and the towel will just be full of nasty after you wipe down the first game or two. Reminds me of an episode of whatever PI show the guy is questioning a fat dirty sweaty guy in his stuffy hot office, and the guy asks if he'd like to borrow his sweat rag after wiping his sweaty greasy face! Obviosly the PI said uh, no thanks!

#37 5 years ago

I think a Pinball show would really be freaky if we all showed up in bio suits .

#38 5 years ago

Someone beat us to it

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #39 5 years ago

HI!!! I'm here for the pin tournament!

_pdp_sq_ (resized).jpg_pdp_sq_ (resized).jpg
    #40 5 years ago

A lot of the grocery stores have these by the carts now:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Perhaps some Pin-Wipes are in order?

#41 5 years ago

Im claiming the idea! New leg mount wipe dispenser that bolts to the bin leg bolts. I will 3d print one tonight! lol

#42 5 years ago

How did we ever survive in the arcades as kids? We need Odin to chime in!!

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I apologize for being grossed out by this, I should just remember how dirty door handles are next time I see it happen (lol).

How about gas pump handles?

#44 5 years ago

The best Golden Tee players use towels & regularly wipe down the track ball during competition....

Only solution is to bring your own towel/sanitizer.....or quit pinball

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

New leg mount wipe dispenser that bolts to the bin leg bolts

Can we hang a tote on it without repercussions?

#46 5 years ago

I'm gonna start pullin my boxers up outta my pants and wipe everything down with them. TRENDSETTER.

#47 5 years ago

OCD ~ Obsessed with Clean DMD's! lol

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm gonna start pullin my boxers up outta my pants and wipe everything down with them. TRENDSETTER.

Make sure you let everyone see you turn them inside out first!

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Self imposed wedgie?

#50 5 years ago

The remote in a hotel.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-stop-wiping-down-games-with-the-underside-of-your-shirt-gross?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.