(Topic ID: 203675)

Can we stop using New out of Box and HUO since xxx?

By Shredso

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Shredso
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

There is no such thing as new out of box unless you unboxed it to take the batteries out or the box was damaged. If you played a game on it, it's not new. It can be like new, original owner low plays, etc. Also, home use only since a certain date or year is just as bad. Home use only means only used in a home. Home use since xx date is fine, lightly routed, etc. Once you put the word only in there, it means it's always been in a home. Yes, I understand condition is everything and HUO doesn't necessarily mean anything anyway.

#2 2 years ago

There was a recent "New out of box" in the New England thread with like 300 plays. I wanted to ask how the heck a HUO could be called "NOOB", but didn't think it was worth it. Crazy stuff.

#3 2 years ago

My fairly naiive opinion is that people can call their listing whatever they want. The devil's in the details of every single machine for Sale.

Price, condition, location are all different.

Coming from my other hobby, high end audio, a close to new (but not brand new product) at a discount can actually be a positive if "break in" is an issue for the component in question, where several hundred hours (or more) of play actually makes the component or speaker sound better. However the discount is much better than than the paultry amount pins are often discounted.

#4 2 years ago

Blah blah blah. What else can we complain about?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

There was a recent "New out of box" in the New England thread with like 300 plays. I wanted to ask how the heck a HUO could be called "NOOB", but didn't think it was worth it. Crazy stuff.

I take it was my add. I am a noob. I changed it. So sorry.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I didn't call you a noob. "NOOB" is the acronym for "New Out Of Box". Kind of like how HUO is the acronym for a game that was taken out of the box and played in a home.

Of course it all depends on what the definition of the word "is" is.

The reason I put in that numerous "is" thing is because it's funny to me when people try to redefine things and split words to mean what they want them to. It violates the social contracts of communication. And I willingly accept your thumbs downs on it as you try to do that.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I didn't call you a noob. "NOOB" is the acronym for "New Out Of Box". Kind of like how HUO is the acronym for a game that was taken out of the box and played in a home.
    Of course it all depends on what the definition of the word "is" is.
    The reason I put in that numerous "is" thing is because it's funny to me when people try to redefine things and split words to mean what they want them to. It violates the social contracts of communication. And I willingly accept your thumbs downs on it as you try to do that.

Well noob in other forums means something totally different. For example on a motorcycle enthusiast website a noob is a new rider or a rookie. I am a noob meant, I am new to this in my experience. I removed my thumbs down. I also changed my add.

#8 2 years ago

I just wish people could take better, more detailed pictures that are not in the dark! I mean if you're selling a pin dirt cheap that's one thing but if you want market price or better please take the time to take good pictures!

#9 2 years ago

Condition is king. The only thing "HUO" (in any form) signifies to me is that the seller is probably going to be asking more than I care to pay.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Condition is king. The only thing "HUO" (in any form) signifies to me is that the seller is probably going to be asking more than I care to pay.

Some people know how to use the term HUO properly... not many but some.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Agreed. They also say "rare" alot when it isn't, and they also often say "great condition for it's age" when the playfield is worn to the wood. Forget the buzzwords and acronyms...pictures say a 1000 words, along with game play counters and sales receipts. It's really not worth arguing about anyways.

#12 2 years ago

I actually appreciate the added detail for pinball machine condition description. HUO has been a term that indicates a machine was never on route, but it does not give a clear picture of condition. I have seen HUO machines that have tons of plays and have a good amount of wear on shooter lane and other areas. Typically people who do not have large collections play way more games on their machines than people with larger collections do. A couple hundred plays vs thousands of plays makes a difference. If you do not care about condition, just buy a players machine. If you appreciate pristine machines, it is very helpful to have another level for judging condition. Condition is king

#13 2 years ago

It's just another cutesy sales term around here that doesn't really mean anything. This place has ALWAYS fostered used car salesmen theatrics on for sale posts...I really don't care how much you love the game but "my grail just came up!!!!" so something has to go...or that it was only played by your grandmother on Sunday mornings for the past 20 years...or that you really love the game but you need a new water heater....

Most people can read past this garbage and get to the relevant info.

#14 2 years ago

FYI.. If you bring your machine to a pinball show for 1000 people to play it is no longer "HUO"
    -Mike

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

If you bring your machine to a pinball show for 1000 people to play it is no longer "HUO"

My favorite is..." It has been an HUO machine in yoyoma's house for the last 15 years." Where was it prior? Makes me chuckle

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

HUO has been a term that indicates a machine was never on route, but it does not give a clear picture of condition. I have seen HUO machines that have tons of plays and have a good amount of wear on shooter lane and other areas.

Like I said in the past even if a machine is HUO you shouldn't even use the term unless the machine is pretty much pristine. I realize HUO has nothing to do with condition but it does and always will give the perception of flawless or near flawless condition. It just does whether we like it or not.

If you use the term properly it is fine IMO.

#17 2 years ago

sort of like MISB

a friend purchased a transformer on ebay that was MISB. when he received it, it was used and in really nice condition, but nowhere near new so he contacted the seller about misrepresentation and the seller stated that it was Mint In Side Box.

apparently, he wasn't aware that MISB stood for Mint In Sealed Box (or that inside was one word and not two

#18 2 years ago

We need another couple categories
    BAH - Born Again HUO
    HUMBUG - HUO Unlikely, Merely Bluffing, Unbridled Greed

#19 2 years ago

The problem is probably in the description of New out of Box on pinside. It says your machine is NOB if you’re the first owner.

#20 2 years ago

The main thing to remember is that unless it’s NIB all the other acronyms don’t matter. Look at the description and the pictures to see what you’re getting

#21 2 years ago

Realistically does anyone go by any ad description??? I should hope not, except in instances where they personally know the person or pin being sold. I look at them and then decide to purchase or not.

#22 2 years ago

We need to stop using HUO after last year when all games magically became HUO.

#23 2 years ago

for sale:
    one slightly used TheLaw. definitely not HUO, and not house trained for that matter

any reasonable offer will be accepted

#24 2 years ago

The hobby has become so ridiculous that now I don't really even have time to look for games any more. Seems like all I do is give out txt msg advice to the people that I repair games for on service calls. HUO has meant nothing to most people forever.

For games that look HUO, why does it even matter? It's not going to convince anyone of anything at all. Is a HUO game with receipt worth more than one in the exact same condition without a receipt? It could be important to some but I'm telling you right now IT DOESN'T MATTER to most people in this hobby. A nice TZ is worth the same condition as a HUO TZ with a fake sales receipt.

That's like asking someone if they have the sales receipt for their HUO commercial popcorn maker and holding that to a higher value than if you couldn't prove that you bought it and placed it in your home. The average person that owns a single pinball machine now knows absolutely nothing about how they operate and they don't want to know either.

Furthermore, the newer Stern games have that earnings audit information that the average Joe is not going to know how to reset. I have witnesses COUNTLESS times where someone tells me a game is HUO and it turns out it has somehow earned $2800 in it's life while always set on FREE PLAY in peoples homes. NOT!

#25 2 years ago

Well, i already sold my "Mint, rare, HUO, uncloudy-window ACDC Premium" for a premium, so Im free to jump on the bandwagon now and tar/feather others using acronyms I don't like....

Frankly, Id be happy with NO WORDS in a listing, but instead about 20 photos that are WELL LIT & in focus!

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

This wasn't meant to single anyone out. I was just pointing out that it doesn't make any sense. It's fairly common here, you are by no means the first to do it.

There are no acronyms or well placed photos that can replace seeing a game in person. I'm admittedly bad at taking photos. I once had a buy accuse me of purposely hiding things with bad pictures. He sent the complaint via email after he spent over 2 hours of my time looking at the game in person. He said it was dark in my basement. Ha! You can't please everyone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Vandelay Industries
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 28.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.50
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside