(Topic ID: 356471)

can we still put quarters on the glass waiting for our next turn ?

By Boxedbeef

11 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by SpiralOut
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 days ago

back in the day we put our dimes or quarters on the glass indicating that we were next in line to play it . The current player would play till his credits , if any , went to zero . now my turn if my quarter on top was next in line . when you game was over you stepped up and let next player in. if i want to play again , up goes my quarter on top of the glass and wait for my turn again . Pool was played the same way , i have waited to play new games at the local pool hall just to see players hog the machine for an hour plus . they just keep feeding it money with no regard to courtesy with to others . is this practice outdated now ?

#2 11 days ago

No it still exists.

More so in pool though I’ve observed. Not usually anyone waiting for pinball lol

#3 11 days ago

Oh I forgot this was a thing bavk in the years in the arcade! We even marked our coin or had a “personal token” (like a cuatom bottle cap) to use for doing dibs on line order…

What I do nowadays is I look on my back before adding coins, but I actually thought on a t-shirt with a text on the back “tap on my shoulder if you want to go next”.

I get so in, that I would love people to get me out of a game when I can’t stop playing on my own…

#4 11 days ago
    Quoted from Boxedbeef:

back in the day we put our dimes or quarters on the glass indicating that we were next in line to play it . The current player would play till his credits , if any , went to zero . now my turn if my quarter on top was next in line . when you game was over you stepped up and let next player in. if i want to play again , up goes my quarter on top of the glass and wait for my turn again . Pool was played the same way , i have waited to play new games at the local pool hall just to see players hog the machine for an hour plus . they just keep feeding it money with no regard to courtesy with to others . is this practice outdated now ?

In pool, yes. It’s just not as common knowledge anymore. It has to be retaught to the younger generations

#5 11 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

In pool, yes. It’s just not as common knowledge anymore. It has to be retaught to the younger generations

I wish you the best teaching the younger generation anything, be lucky they even acknowledge your existence nevermind morals.
    -Mike

#6 11 days ago

People might not know what the quarter means nowadays but, hell, the first time it happened to me 50 years ago I wasn't sure what it meant either.

#7 11 days ago

Hell yeah I remember this. People would even put their own quarters on the game, like 4 of them, to show everyone I’m going to play all these.

Among pinball players nowadays I have not seen anyone do the quarter thing. Just stand behind and anyone with common sense will know you’re waiting. There’s always those clueless or rude people. Couldn’t hurt to wait between balls and say “I’d like a shot at the game after”. At a recent show I was standing right behind a guy playing a 3 three player game to himself. After the last ball, he goes and starts another 3 player game immediately. Jeezus dude.

#8 11 days ago

I remember sometimes having to scramble to snag a quarter back out before it disappeared under the lockdown bar!

#9 11 days ago

More like dollars not quarters

#10 11 days ago

I heard it's $3 now, or 12 quarters

#11 11 days ago

I can remember snagging those quarters and selling my credits.

#12 11 days ago

Oh man. I did that all the time in the 70s!

#13 11 days ago

I distinctly remember everybody lining up their quarters on games back in early 80s. Especially when it was a popular new game with multiple people trying to get on.

But after all these years I can’t quite figure out how that worked. I mean how do people track exactly whose quarters are whose when they all look alike? Do they get used from left to right and then the remaining ones slide over to the left?

#14 6 days ago

A related but non-pinball quarter tradition was the Challenge quarter. When a game of foosball, air hockey or similar head-to-head game was in progress, you could challenge the winner by placing a quarter on the table. The protocol was that the winner could either yield the game to you if they did not wish to play any longer or else they had to play against you and win to retain possession of the game. Basically a king-of-the-hill situation. On weekend nights, it wasn't uncommon to have a long string of quarters on the air hockey table with people queueing up to be the next king. I remember switching hands when playing lesser opponents to rest my arm for the tougher matches.

#15 6 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

A related but non-pinball quarter tradition was the Challenge quarter. When a game of foosball, air hockey or similar head-to-head game was in progress, you could challenge the winner by placing a quarter on the table. The protocol was that the winner could either yield the game to you if they did not wish to play any longer or else they had to play against you and win to retain possession of the game. Basically a king-of-the-hill situation. On weekend nights, it wasn't uncommon to have a long string of quarters on the air hockey table with people queueing up to be the next king. I remember switching hands when playing lesser opponents to rest my arm for the tougher matches.

That is how the protocol worked wherever I would go play. Especially on a pool table.

On a pinball machine, putting your quarters up usually meant you could get in on the next game if the current player still wanted some more play time. After all most machines are four player.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-still-put-quarters-on-the-glass-waiting-for-our-next-turn- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.