(Topic ID: 143966)

Can we get a "Route 66" (pin transport) subsection please?

By Whysnow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bates-motel-500x250.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I often buy games from a reasonable distance but no hard set timeline for pick up of the game.
    I also often take long road trips with an open space in my vehicle for a game and hence can offer transport.

Maybe I am the only one, but I see it as a very nice possibility to link up a game buyer/seller and a traveler.

It can be a WIN/WIN for all parties. The driver can get a little gas money and turn a boring road trip into the ability to meet a fellow pinhead or 2 along the way.

Teh buyer/seller can get Great shipping at typically around 50% of what NAVL charges and also gets to meet a fellow pinhead along the way.

I have made individual thread before and always start them out as "Route 66: Traveling form X to Y around..."

I think a specific subsection may be a useful tool from people to levergae when hunting for pins or looking for transport.

Am I crazy? Am I the only one that takes a couple long road trips each year and able to assist with transport???

#2 8 years ago

For a quick example, I will be making the follwing road trips in the next year and have the ability to pick up or transport along the way:

Madison, WI to Boulder, CO area and back sometime in Jan or Feb 2016. I will have room for 1 on the way out and 2 on the way back.
    Madison, WI to TPF and back in min-March 2016; room for 1 going each way at this point.
    Madison, WI to Dory Hill around Labor Day 2016; room for 2 going each way.

To me I would be happy to help out other pinheads along with earning a little gas money if picking up or dropping off on route.

#3 8 years ago

bump for mod/ Robin thoughts...

#4 8 years ago

nobody else likes this ideas?

Am I the only fool that seems to be constantly making road trips not for pins and also have pins I need picked up from other places?

#5 8 years ago

I like the idea. Carpooling for pins...

#6 8 years ago

Worth mention I could currently use transport from STL area up to MSN area.

Offering $200 gas money for transport.

#7 8 years ago

Probably wouldn't work out too often, but even if it works 5% of the time that's still a positive.

Cool idea! Hope it can work out for you and other people.

#8 8 years ago

If I actually had the money/space to buy pins, this would be a great help as I refuse to use STL now after a very bad experience. I know Robin's a bit tied up at the moment, but I'll make sure he sees this request so he can at least give it a thought.

#9 8 years ago

I applaud Hilton for thinking creatively. But let me put on my black hat for a moment. (Which fits well thank you)

Precautions will need to be taken. Imagine a fake Pinside account and an smiling, helpful volunteer shows up. A secret handshake is exchanged and the last you see of your Cirqus Voltaire is through a back window with glowing tail lights. - I hate to say it but the real world does invade our hobby.

Driver's licenses will need to be photocopied and pictures of vehicle plates taken for staters. Even then I'd be somewhat uncomfortable.

I also see coordinating drivers along with sales, timing and especially geography being very complex to do. And the greater the distance the more of a long shot it becomes.

I love the name Route 66 and would suggest this idea be converted to something like an Airbnb. Instead of transportation we offer our homes/guest rooms as a network for overnight stays. With appropriate precautions of course, I believe this will be much more manageable and feasible.

For me personally, I'm a cash and carry guy which means I do my own driving and any responsibilities are mine alone.

Sign me up. My home has been available in this fashion for many years now and continues to be.

#10 8 years ago

Well obviously it would need the trust of all parties.

I am hoping most people would be more than happy to trust a reputable member to do the pin tranport.

Shit Kim, I am hoping you would be more than comfortable having me pickup and tranport a pin for you from MSN to denver on one of my trips with no questions asked and no need to photocopy my licesnse or give me a prostate exam

This is not going to work all that often but I still think it is a great opportunity to help people with moving games across the country for cheaper and safer than the commercial alternatives.

This will also help people that have planned road trips to posibly offset fuel expense. For example, I am often open to the idea of a road trip to many places where I have friends and if I were to see a tread in the 'route 66' sub forum looking for pin transport from Chicago to Boston on X date for $250 then I just may say F it and decide to go visit a buddy.

Quoted from Mr68:

. Instead of transportation we offer our homes/guest rooms as a network for overnight stays. With appropriate precautions of course, I believe this will be much more manageable and feasible.

I love this idea. How much to rent a room when we come to CO next Hell, I will just toss a sleeping bag under the pins...

#11 8 years ago

Great idea IMO! And a good spur for more deals to be made, I always take a look at WI pin listings when I see Whysnow post that he's heading down to CO with room to spare.

#12 8 years ago

Actually, drivers and lodging under the Route 66 banner could be combined or done separately.

Quoted from Whysnow:

How much to rent a room when we come to CO

Its always been free at my home and that will not change. I've met some great out of state buyers that way.

You're always welcome anytime, Hilton.

Bates-motel-500x250.jpgBates-motel-500x250.jpg

#13 8 years ago

I would love this idea. I have my eye on a pin that won't ship, and is too far for me to get but would pay someone to go pick up.

#14 8 years ago

I've done my fair share of transporting games for people, and have also had the favor returned for me pretty often, its a good system.

#15 8 years ago

IN most instances I would ask $200-250 if a game is along the route and not much time out of the way for pickup or drop off.

I think that is a pretty good deal and the sweet spot for all parties involved.

I figure NAVL is around $450 in many cases, pinhead assited transport is much safer since the game is in a single vehicle and they know how to properly care for it, and the added benefit of being able to plan in advance for a possible game purchase.

For example if I were to see someone say they could 'route 66' from FL to Chicagoland then you can be sure I would start scouring Clist down in FL

#16 8 years ago

I like the idea. I am located in the Heart of America where I-70 and I-35 meet, which makes North/South and East/West runs fairly easy. Always up for a roadtrip and would be happy to assist other Pinsiders if the chance arises.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

I like the idea. I am located in the Heart of America where I-70 and I-35 meet, which makes North/South and East/West runs fairly easy. Always up for a roadtrip and would be happy to assist other Pinsiders if the chance arises.

any thoughts of a road trip through STL and towards the north? I got $200 on it if you need some incentive?

Pick up the game in STL and tell me how far north you can make it... maybe we can work something out.

#18 8 years ago

If the pin was prepped I could probably get as far as Peoria. That would include and hour for pickup and another hour for lunch and stops. I used to be able to go farther but than coffee used to stay in me longer. I could probably pull off a Saturday run pretty easy and I am sincere in my offer. pm me if I can help.

#19 8 years ago

I will shoot you a PM. Thanks!

3 weeks later
    #20 8 years ago

Just wanted to say this worked nicely already and I still think we should get a subsection for "route 66". Better yet would be a great mapping feature where people could plot their planned routes and dates of travel on the map. Others could plot their desired pickup and drop off points. Things may not always work but when they do, it is GREAT!

Wanted to also say a HUGE thanks to Stu, Silverballer, whom assisted with transport from STL, MO to Peoria, IL this past weekend.
    I had previously purchased a game form dougphiranna (Kurt) and the 2 of them we able to lync up for the hand off. I then drove to BloNo to visit some friends and family and then meet up w/ Stu in Peoria.

This worked flawlessly. A little bit of trust and some pay for the pin hauler and we all had a great weekend, met some new pinhead family, and made a smooth transport.

Thanks again to both Kurt and STu!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-get-a-route-66-subsection-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.