(Topic ID: 211185)

Can we eliminate NOB term from Market place?

By TheLaw

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Vino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.13.10 PM (resized).png
    IMG_0309 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0307 (resized).JPG
    69usd (resized).jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

We've talked aboot this plenty suck as here
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-stop-using-new-out-of-box-and-huo-since-xxx
    But I always thought it was the sellers inventing this term, but you can't blame them since it's a Pinside term in a drop down box. Along with other goodies like "Old in Box."
    Jesus people, it's dumb.

#2 6 years ago

Once it’s opened and played it becomes used. Same as a new car sold, once it’s sold and leaves the lot, it’s used. If it’s home use only, that’s fine, label it as such.

#3 6 years ago

Welcome to the world of marketing

[edit]: Huh, it is actually one of the drop-down options. I can't say I've noticed it before.

#4 6 years ago

New out of box is definitely an oxymoron.

#5 6 years ago

It’s gotta go.

A game is NIB

Or it’s HUO

Or it’s neither.

#6 6 years ago

NOB term while abused these days is Technically possible up to picture 9 or so an example
    http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album319?page=1
    Once the factory packing on the game itself and parts are removed and the legs go on it is used though.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

We've talked aboot this plenty suck as here
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-stop-using-new-out-of-box-and-huo-since-xxx
    But I always thought it was the sellers inventing this term, but you can't blame them since it's a Pinside term in a drop down box. Along with other goodies like "Old in Box."
    Jesus people, it's dumb.

One hundred percent agree. Dumbest sidestepping term ever. It's used.

#8 6 years ago

Really stupid. Got to go

#9 6 years ago

As soon as it’s out of the box, it’s no longer New by any metric

If a game may have possibly at one time been on route, then it cannot be labeled as “Home Use Only since (insert year)”

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

As soon as it’s out of the box, it’s no longer New by any metric”

Playing Devil's Advocate here - if a game is taken out of the box, set up, and NEVER played, is it New Out Of Box because technically it's never been "used".

#11 6 years ago

Setting it up it is used. Once you put your bolts in the holes. There is no going back.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

if a game is taken out of the box

The fee for unboxing a game is to never call it new again.

New things come in their original unopened package

#13 6 years ago

As soon as it’s out of the box, it’s no longer New by any metric
    If a game may have possibly at one time been on route, then it cannot be labeled as “Home Use Only since (insert year)”

Of course GameStop would disagree, but they were sued for their practices (though they're back to them again).

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

[edit]: Huh, it is actually one of the drop-down options.

Huh, appreciate you not taking my word for it. But yes I was shocked too, hence this "official" Pinside website thread.

Playing Devil's Advocate here - if a game is taken out of the box, set up, and NEVER played, is it New Out Of Box because technically it's never been "used".

Sure sure...I mean the thing is there are hundreds of options that could be true but never are. I won't get into an acronym frenzy here but you can imagine them. The point is this rarely if ever happens, and is just being abused.
    If you take it out of the box, it isn't new. It becomes just as worthless as HUO.

When I pick up a new machine I have to take it out of the box to fit it in a car. Then Trent and I take 20 minutes jumping on it and twisting it trying to shoehorn the goddamn thing in an equinox shooing barn cats away denting the siderails and scuffing the sides whilt . There, NOB!

#15 6 years ago

Yeah get rid of it. And while you're at it can we also finally do away with CIB (Clown In Box)

#16 6 years ago

The NOB thing is just part of the general used car salesmanization of Pinball sales that always bugs me. It’s a trend that started around 7 or 8 years ago (seemingly
    The same time pinside started gaining steam). Ads started getting longer and
    Longer, with more and more superfluous verbiage.

Here’s what I like to see in a pinside or mr Pinball ad:

Price

That’s really it. I don’t care why you are selling it. I don’t care how much you love it but another game came up. If doesn’t really matter to me if your wife wants it gone or your kid is scared of it.

Keep it simple! I don’t think any of that stuff helps sell games anyway. I know NOOB isn’t fooling anybody.

Even Noobs.

#17 6 years ago

If NOB is necessary, then for logical completeness we also need UIB.

#18 6 years ago

Always wondered this as well.
    Say a dealer unboxed game, sets it up, and delivers it to customer unplayed.
    Imagine that’s NOB, but should they be charging like it was NIB?

These terms are friggin riddles!

#19 6 years ago

NOB = out of the box, but never been played?

Nobody would do that, so it's a non-existent state.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Once you put your bolts in the holes. There is no going back.

That’s what she said. Hey-oooh!

#21 6 years ago

Even the act of unpacking it makes it no longer new.

A unopened box could also not be new if it is a rebox return.

It is only new if the only hands that have touched it are factory employees.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

I think there's entire category of collector who buys new pinball machines. Tears into the box. then experiences so horrible a level of buyer's remorse that they must immediately sell the machine before it devalues more with a single play. they are loosing money but 'just a little less' than if they stood it up and plugged it in.

That or the are fetishisticly attracted to opening boxes and taking things out. I think that's less likely. Its not like there's whole genres of videos featuring that kind of thing. I think its the first thing.

Either way, if you say it out out loud, like a KNOB, it maybe fits.

#23 6 years ago

69usd (resized).jpg69usd (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The NOB thing is just part of the general used car salesmanization of Pinball sales that always bugs me. It’s a trend that started around 7 or 8 years ago (seemingly
    The same time pinside started gaining steam). Ads started getting longer and
    Longer, with more and more superfluous verbiage.
    Here’s what I like to see in an ad:
    Price
    That’s really it. I don’t care why you are selling it. I don’t care how much you love it but another game came up. If doesn’t really matter to me if your wife wants it gone or your kid is scared of it.
    Keep it simple! I don’t think any of that stuff helps sell games anyway. I know NOOB isn’t fooling anybody.
    Even Noobs.

I disagree. You might not normally be interested in my X-files. But once you learn it's my favorite game, the one all my friends flock to at parties, it's been HUO since early 2018, and the only reason I am selling it is because my wife's brothers aunt doesn't like the translite, you might reconsider. You thought you didn't want it, but my ad made you see the light.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

I think Pinball Refinery does this. Opens the box. Pimps out the pin. Ships it to customer. Still new in my book. This is an exception though.

I agree NOB term is lame. So is HUO Since....

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I think Pinball Refinery does this. Opens the box. Pimps out the pin. Ships it to customer. Still new in my book. This is an exception though.
    I agree NOB term is lame. So is HUO Since....

I disagree, that should be described as a pinball refinery HUO.

After all you have no idea if they’ve played a game or two to test it, and then reset the audits to make it appear unused.

#27 6 years ago

It's been exposed

#28 6 years ago

I guess if the game is opened and just displayed but never played the term fits. But most of the ones I have seen are showroom games that are being played by potential customers. These are not NOB, they are lightly used nice games that should be sold at a normal HUO discount.

#29 6 years ago

After all you have no idea if they’ve played a game or two to test it, and then reset the audits to make it appear unused.

What about the rudimentary play testing a game gets at the factory? Is that magically different somehow, wear-wise?

#30 6 years ago

the term needs to be removed. I don't care if it came out of the box and was just "stored" somewhere - still not new. Simple as that. No way to prove it wasn't messed with once out of the box. Cuts all the drama out of it.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

my wife's brothers aunt doesn't like the translite

...also known as your wife's aunt.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

I disagree. You might not normally be interested in my X-files. But once you learn it's my favorite game, the one all my friends flock to at parties, it's been HUO since early 2018, and the only reason I am selling it is because my wife's brothers aunt doesn't like the translite, you might reconsider. You thought you didn't want it, but my ad made you see the light.

There's nothing wrong with a little selling fluff if appropriate, a little.... But I agree more with Levi on keeping simple and on point.
    And when I see fluff like, "Needs to go to a good home", I want to puke. ...Oh and if a buyer tells me it's "going to a good home" the price suddenly becomes firm.

Back on topic: NOB is stoopid.

#33 6 years ago

I normally don't really care what the seller tags their game with. Even if truly NIB or HUO it may have serious issues. A routed game may of only been played very little and be in better shape. You have to look at the game and not buy blind based on what the seller says. That said, "new out of box" makes no sense to me. Every pin is taken out of a box. At what point does it stop being new?

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

Really, here is two for you. Get around some serious people who truly are collectors and you'll find lots of these out there. New Out of Box, never set up, never played, just pulled out for inspection.

IMG_0307 (resized).JPGIMG_0307 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0309 (resized).JPGIMG_0309 (resized).JPG

#35 6 years ago

You think manufactures don't test play pins before they go out? At the very least they have somebody with a pinball touching all the switches, bash toys and anything else that is responsive to a pinball.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Oh and if a buyer tells me it's "going to a good home" the price suddenly becomes firm.

Hopefully it’s only the price that suddenly becomes firm ...

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

What about the rudimentary play testing a game gets at the factory? Is that magically different somehow, wear-wise?

Quoted from Bud:

You think manufactures don't test play pins before they go out? At the very least they have somebody with a pinball touching all the switches, bash toys and anything else that is responsive to a pinball.

The game is considered New when it leaves the factory in its original box. During the manufacturing process the company can do whatever they want to the game, and it’s still new when it leaves the warehouse. It can be scratched, have ghosting inserts, or have someone’s ball rubbed all over it. It is still new until the packaging is opened. Once opened it is no longer new. It may be unused, but I wouldn’t call it New. If it’s been in a collection and has only been opened for inspection then it’s not new, the package has been opened.

#38 6 years ago

Try selling a collectors quality toy like an old transformers as “new but you only opened the packaging to inspect it.” No one would fall for it.

New = never been opened.

#39 6 years ago

The game is considered New when it leaves the factory in its original box. During the manufacturing process the company can do whatever they want to the game, and it’s still new when it leaves the warehouse. It can be scratched, have ghosting inserts, or have someone’s ball rubbed all over it. It is still new until the packaging is opened. Once opened it is no longer new. It may be unused, but I wouldn’t call it New. If it’s been in a collection and has only been opened for inspection then it’s not new, the package has been opened.

So you're saying that factory play testing is magically different somehow, wear-wise. Gotcha.

At the risk of using a cargument, a new car can have a not insignificant number of miles on it from test drives before being bought as new. Maybe they ought to call it TDUO?

#40 6 years ago

It’s definitely abused.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Really, here is two for you. Get around some serious people who truly are collectors and you'll find lots of these out there. New Out of Box, never set up, never played, just pulled out for inspection.

And hopefully to pull the batteries. Otherwise your NOB is a NAD (New w/ Acid Damage) and you're SOL.

#42 6 years ago

I think the term NOB could be applicable to about 0.00001% of the market and could easily be explained in the text of the ad without the need for a distinct drop down.

*unless* we can also add these more relevant options:

"Not working, but only needs a fuse"

"Not working, but worked great yesterday"

"Roached"

"Fully restored...by an incompetent novice"

"New with standard Stern lack of QC"

"HUO, xth owner" (a separate drop down option for owner 2-99)

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s gotta go.
    A game is NIB
    Or it’s HUO
    Or it’s neither.

Dude my WCS is HUO since 2013...

#44 6 years ago

My RZ is NNIBSFW. ( New Never In Box Still Factory Wrapped)

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

I'd gladly pay a NOB price for that STTNG!

On another note, my AFMr is NOB and I've just been play testing it as much as possible to "dial it in"

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

You think manufactures don't test play pins before they go out?

I think that depends on the manufacturer. There are a few threads here that make me wonder.

#48 6 years ago

NIB shipped from Factory to Distibutor. Box damaged during shipping. Box opened/removed to verify no actual damage to Pin. Sold as NOB

Or they buy a new Box and repackage and it become NIB again

#49 6 years ago

If it's unboxed and not played or barely played I think "display model" would be a more appropriate term.

#50 6 years ago

Change it to noyb (none of your business) what the condition is just give me my outrageous over valued asking price already and be happy

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-eliminate-nob-term-from-market-place?hl=dngrwillrobinson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.