(Topic ID: 211185)

Can we eliminate NOB term from Market place?

By TheLaw

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Vino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.13.10 PM (resized).png
    IMG_0309 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0307 (resized).JPG
    69usd (resized).jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

So you're saying that factory play testing is magically different somehow, wear-wise. Gotcha.
    At the risk of using a cargument, a new car can have a not insignificant number of miles on it from test drives before being bought as new. Maybe they ought to call it TDUO?

I never compared wear from factory testing to post packaging removal wear. In fact I never mentioned the wear on the game. I’m talking about an unboxing value. A game in its original box is new. Once the box is opened it is not new.

How about a cargument for you. A new car can come with a dozen miles on it. But once it has been paid for and driven off the lot it looses value. Even if you don’t put any extra mileage on it, it is no longer a new product. The exception would be a car that is kept for decades and never driven, that becomes a collectors piece; it could become more valuable then a new car. But it is not New. Even at Barrett-Jackson auctions, an old car with its window sticker still in place and original plastic over the seat is not sold as a “new” car.

I don’t understand why people don’t seem to get this.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I never compared wear from factory testing to post packaging removal wear. In fact I never mentioned the wear on the game. I’m talking about an unboxing value. A game in its original box is new. Once the box is opened it is not new.

Exactly this. This doesn't make sense to a lot of us, because wouldn't you prefer a game that's been opened up and properly adjusted, and let someone else deal with any obvious manufacturing defects? But in collector culture in general, pristine packaging is worth a significant amount, and that's true in pinball as well (despite the fact that we're talking about refrigerator-sized toys in boring cardboard boxes).

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

How about a cargument for you. A new car can come with a dozen miles on it. But once it has been paid for and driven off the lot it looses value. Even if you don’t put any extra mileage on it, it is no longer a new product. The exception would be a car that is kept for decades and never driven, that becomes a collectors piece; it could become more valuable then a new car. But it is not New. Even at Barrett-Jackson auctions, an old car with its window sticker still in place and original plastic over the seat is not sold as a “new” car.
    I don’t understand why people don’t seem to get this.

Devil's advocate. A new car has been test driven a half dozen times by potential buyers and has 50 miles on it. It's still a new car!

NOB is very possible by any legit pinball dealer. I think anytime it is out of the box AND has been played, now it's now longer brand new. It's a test machine or display unit at that time.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Devil's advocate. A new car has been test driven a half dozen times by potential buyers and has 50 miles on it. It's still a new car!
    NOB is very possible by any legit pinball dealer. I think anytime it is out of the box AND has been played, now it's now longer brand new. It's a test machine or display unit at that time.

A car is considered new until it’s been driven off the lot. That’s established practice from about 100 years of the auto industry.

A pinball machine has always been considered used/huo once it’s been removed from the box and set up. Until 2 weeks ago when somebody invented “new out of box.”

It’s ridiculous and it’s never gonna catch on.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A car is considered new until it’s been driven off the lot. That’s established practice from about 100 years of the auto industry.
    A pinball machine has always been considered used/huo once it’s been removed from the box and set up. Until 2 weeks ago when somebody invented “new out of box.”
    It’s ridiculous and it’s never gonna catch on.

Argument is if it has never played a game, how can it be considered used? I know, I know, splitting hairs.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It kills me to think that supposed "new" car I bought was once test driven by someone else.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Argument is if it has never played a game, how can it be considered used? I know, I know, splitting hairs.

You may have never played a game on it, but it’s had games played on it from the factory. It becomes no longer new when the original packaging is opened.

Cargument, no matter how many miles are on the car when you purchase it; it is new until you take it off the lot. Even if you never drive it another mile, it is no longer new

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

So you're saying that factory play testing is magically different somehow, wear-wise. Gotcha.
    At the risk of using a cargument, a new car can have a not insignificant number of miles on it from test drives before being bought as new. Maybe they ought to call it TDUO?

Usually they are called demonstrators. Or Demos. They are still sold as new but you get a discount because of the demo miles put on.

But even new cars are test driven by the new-car clean up mechanics. Cars don't always come of of the line with all the parts fitting correctly. They have to be....ahem.....dialed in.

They have to be driven from the end of the assembly line to the storage lot where they may sit for a few days. They have to be driven onto and off of the transport truck. The dealership has to move them around. They sit outside in the lot where the sun beats down and dust gets washed away by the rain. They are still a new car. But don't ever think you are the first one to put your butt in the driver's seat.

Technically, it is a new car until the title has been filed out.

#59 1 year ago

After a quick search through the "NOB" listings...almost all of these are HUO games. Pinside labels NOB games as "first owner," which is a useful piece of information, but has nothing to do with newness.

They should just call it "Single Owner" instead...besides being useful, the double entendre is both fitting and hilarious. It's win win.

#60 1 year ago

A vehicle does not need to leave the lot to become used. The moment it is sold, paid for with cash or financing, and registered, legally speaking, it becomes used.

#61 1 year ago

Not NOB but here is the sneaky kinds ads I don't like.

At the top of the ad it says HUO but when you start reading the ad it says "in HUO condition". So, it is not HUO. I"m surprised the seller did not price it as $3199.00 so everyone will think it is only $3100.00.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.13.10 PM (resized).png

#62 1 year ago

I liked it better when Craigslist acronyms were just for hooking up.

#63 1 year ago

It all boils down to condition anyway, the older a pin gets, the longer it's out of production, the more acceptable it is to have an open box for inspection but never set up or played. Who pays big money for an object in a sealed box for 25 years that can be damaged by improper storage? Who pays big money when there is no way to see the item without opening the box? I won't pay that kind of money for one with out being able to physically see it. We will agree on price with a deposit before we open the box and if it's as expected "new" from a manufacturer then that balance is paid. If there is damage of any sort then price is adjusted. Pretty simple and reasonable.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I liked it better when Craigslist acronyms were just for hooking up.

I still see an occasional post here that starts with "ISO", and I keep thinking, "Is Seeking Other"?

#65 1 year ago

What about using the term “like new” instead of “New out of box”, it’s simple and less confusing. The game is not new but it is like New.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I still see an occasional post here that starts with "ISO", and I keep thinking, "Is Seeking Other"?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 17.00
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 26.95
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside