(Topic ID: 317971)

Can we discuss -- Pinball Cart Wheels?

By mof

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220701_192946 (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

I have the infamously helpful "Penguin cart", and the wheels have never met my requirements. I would like to finally upgrade them and reduce headaches and heartburn.

My requirements:
    1. Wheels should swivel with ease in order to quickly change direction.

I see several threads where people are building new carts and choosing their wheels, but not a lot of discussion about the "best" wheels out there.

I love the wheels on my "pinball skates" -- which I presume are polyurethane. They rotate easily and don't get hung up on bumps and valleys in changing sidewalk conditions. I presume I want a set like that for the cart...

thanks!
    -mof

#2 1 year ago

What have you tried?
    What are your favorites?
    Why do you like them?
    Can you link them here?

#3 1 year ago

Do the cart wheels use a stem or plate to attach to the cart?

When looking for replacement wheels, make sure that the wheel is rated to support the load.

Quoted from mof:

They rotate easily and don't get hung up on bumps and valleys in changing sidewalk conditions

Usually, you just have to increase the diameter of the wheel to overcome that.

#5 1 year ago

These are the skates I have -- where the wheels are pretty good:
    ebay.com link: p

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Do the cart wheels use a stem or plate to attach to the cart?

Here's what I'm seeing. The crap wheels.

20220701_192946 (resized).jpg20220701_192946 (resized).jpg
    #7 1 year ago

Softer material and larger diameter will give you a smoother ride. On most of my arcade driving cabs, I use rubber or polyurethane wheels of the same diameter or slightly larger than the originals.

Your cart wheels look like nylon. Very hard material which transfers all of the energy from impacts into the load. Make sure you match the plate mounting holes!

#8 1 year ago

These wheels have been suggested:

Quoted from ss-pinball:

these might be much better for only an additional $2 each over the HF choice... https://www.amazon.com/casters-poliolefina-rodamiento-capacidad-250-lbs/dp/B00426CIJ4

Depends on if your cart has the removable wheel plates or the welded ones

#9 1 year ago

I don't know my plastics...

I wonder how to choose Polyolefin over other materials?

I'm not dealing with carpet or too much outdoors. Mostly just hardwood floor, plastic flooring, and grooves in the sidewalk near the front door.

#10 1 year ago

Don't go too soft on the plastic you pick.
    You'll have flat spot in the wheels if you leave any weight on them overnight.
    The flat spots usually go away over time, but its a pain to move a machine while the flat spots are there.

And remember, the wheels are only supporting 1/4 of the total weight.
    I'd pick wheels capable of carrying 1/2 the weight or more.

www.harborfreight.com has a decent selection of wheels in varying diameters, materials, and features.
    Maybe stop in the store and get your hands on them to see what suits you best.

Lastly, don't forget to get measurements of the mounting flange holes unless you're OK with redrilling and/or welding plates.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-discuss-pinball-cart-wheels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.