5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Erik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-379.jpg
    image-576.jpg
    bangkok-wires-nurmi.jpg
    image-475.jpg
    image-157.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I'm still a noob so apologies if this is a dumb question. I have several mods running off several 5v/12v splitters inside my cabinet. Let's see, there's the under cabinet kit, MDM video mod, speaker lights, led flipper buttons and the apron flasher mod. Point is, it seems like a lot of mods basically running off one connection through all those splitters. Could I fry something if I add another one?

image-157.jpg
    image-475.jpg

#2 5 years ago

I would think that you'll know if you pull too much current, the fuse will blow. You could try to sum the current needs for all your devices and see how much "room" you have, but I'd probably just go with waiting to see if a fuse pops.

#3 5 years ago

Hmm no fuses blown yet so full speed ahead!!!

#4 5 years ago

I think you're okay, especially since (I'm assuming) you're modding an IM - a recent title. They actually make 1-to-8 splitter boards for Stern because of people like you and me. I got one for LOTR, and have used about half of the inputs on it. Remember that voltage is voltage - as long as the mods you have aren't mechanical things that are going to draw a lot of power from your system (watch for dimming lights when mechanical stuff fires up!), then you're golden.

#5 5 years ago

It's probably not a good idea to daisy chain splitters, get a multi out ,DK Pinball makes one w/ 8 outputs. I'm headed out the door at the moment maybe some one can provide you w/ a link to the DK part.

#6 5 years ago

just makes it look ridiculous. =D

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from moto_cat:

It's probably not a good idea to daisy chain splitters, get a multi out ,DK Pinball makes one w/ 8 outputs. I'm headed out the door at the moment maybe some one can provide you w/ a link to the DK part.

As long as the physical connections are good, it really is no different.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

As long as the physical connections are good, it really is no different.

True , looks like a bowl of spaghetti though.

#10 5 years ago

Dang. $25 for that! I need to be in the pinball mod business. $$$ is flying around.

#11 5 years ago

Get that board, made cable management a lot cleaner inside my cab!

#12 5 years ago

I'm ordering a red translucent apron for my IM Pro from Terry at pinballlife so I'll ask him to throw in an eight in one splitter. Thanks guys!!

#13 5 years ago

Lack of sufficient power is the least of your worries. Pinside is littered with stories of folks who have damaged their games while installing mods. Blowing out the switch matrix while installing LED's with the game powered on is very common. Another common occurrence is folks adding multiple mods at once, then either a new problem pops up or one of the mods doesn't work and they want to know why.

Generally speaking, it's mostly the new folks to the hobby doing most of the modding, which is scary. They have the least technical experience with pins, yet they feel mods are no problem. Often when they have problems, they ask for help here and forget to mention that they just added 5 other mods the week before. I very much enjoy helping others with problems here when I can, but when the problem is related to a mod or a modded game, I'm less likely to offer help. All bets are off when you start modding your game.

If you're going to add mods, do them one at a time and leave the power off. Don't mod a brand new game. Play it for a few weeks to work out any minor bugs and to get a feel for how the designer intended the game to play. Many mods affect gameplay, whether you notice it or not. Instructions for mods are all over the place. Some are well written with color pics while others are horrible. If you're not sure, don't guess. Ask for help. Lastly, always remember that mod is also the first three letters of the word moderation. Some smart dude once said: 'If one oversteps the bounds of moderation, the greatest pleasures cease to please'.

#14 5 years ago

Short answer. YES yes it can. Because it makes your game look like shit. People around here have a habit of throwing every piece of crap they can into a machine. Looking like something from an episode of hoarders. It totally ruins the game. Couple mods, tastefully done. Great.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Short answer. YES yes it can. Because it makes your game look like shit. People around here have a habit of throwing every piece of crap they can into a machine. Looking like something from an episode of hoarders. It totally ruins the game. Couple mods, tastefully done. Great.

Well said.

#16 5 years ago

Only it's pride

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Short answer. YES yes it can....Couple mods, tastefully done. Great.

+1 You really need to make certain the game is working correctly before you add mods, even switching some bulbs out to LEDs first. One or two mods, that's swell if they add to the look or game play.
    When somebody posts a dozen questions about adding some custom mod and they sound like they don't even know how to use a DMM, I'm out for even responding.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I hear ya but that's really your opinion. I was looking for more detailed or fact driven answers. Wasnt sure if too many mods would overload something. I think my pin is beautiful. My mods don't affect the game play negatively and in my mind, enhance the visual aspect of the game. I've had my Pro for over six months and my VE for over a month or two. Plenty of mods later and nothing exploding yet. I'm down to get those ramp lights and I was like, damn I've already got a shit ton of mods in here. Am I pushing my luck?

#19 5 years ago

I had a witty retort for some people here, but I screwed it up so bad, I'll just leave it (mostly) blank. That's what I get for trying to be witty...

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

damn I've already got a shit ton of mods in here. Am I pushing my luck?

Wire in another transformer dedicated for mods. Have an opto trigger to turn on a bank of floodlights and also fires up the washing machine to laundry if you wish. It's your game, do what you want - provide you have a reasonable idea of what you are doing.

#21 5 years ago

Hilarious comments - and I always enjoy the ever so judgemental "if tastefully done", as that is something COMPLETELY within the eye of the beholder. For example, someone might say legally renaming yourself Neo Skywalker is tasteful, some might say not

Fact is being able to mod our pinball machines is one of the many reasons many of us are in this, to some degree, or at least it helps a lot with the longevity, and the constant desire to upgrade or make better our machines.

As for the question, I can't say too many issues from too many mods comes up much. I have always wondered this, as the already stressed 5v line seems like anything else should affect something, especially with LED displays that use that, but the less stressed 12v line, I believe, should be the most stable.

But again, I don't recall any threads were the conclusion of any issue was too much current drawn from too many mods.

#22 5 years ago

Wow that is a busy splitter. I think I made the right call avoiding it.

#23 5 years ago

I'm def getting the 8 in 1 splitter to clean the lines up. To de-spaghettify the mess if you will.

Quoted from Rock914:

Wow that is a busy splitter. I think I made the right call avoiding it.

I've got your kit on my Pro and it's a damn good kit. I just wanted to try the other one for my VE. I went with that one before you had yours available. Very sorry I never got back to you. Shitty on my part. Kept meaning to. My bad Rock.

#24 5 years ago

No worries man, and I am happy you are trying other products that is the only way to know what works best for you.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm def getting the 8 in 1 splitter to clean the lines up. To de-spaghettify the mess if you will.

I've got your kit on my Pro and it's a damn good kit. I just wanted to try the other one for my VE. I went with that one before you had yours available. Very sorry I never got back to you. Shitty on my part. Kept meaning to. My bad Rock.

I have the FTS-8 splitter, its nice and cleans up what your picture shows. The best part is is splits the 12v and 5v on its own, meaning there is no specific plug that's for 12v or 5v, just find a available spot and plug in. Just 8 plugs to fill, I only have 3 mods plugged in currently, and wont be anymore I don't believe. Mounts on the side of cab, clean look to any machine.

#26 5 years ago

That's still cleaner than the telephone poles in Bangkok.

bangkok-wires-nurmi.jpg

#27 5 years ago

I'd say if you like the mods and you have installed them without any problems youre ok. You'd probably know pretty quickly with blowing fuses or the machine resetting. I dont know a lot of mods that are really touchy to install as long as your careful and take your time.

The TZ home rom has a feture which can pause the game. The only problem is when you pause the game you have to hold the flipper to cradle the pinball. You can blow a transistor this way.

#28 5 years ago

I'm pretty new too. I've added tons to my Tron Pro, and several to every machine I own. It's fun!

I would caution you to take care of the birds nest of wires. Tidy them up, and zip tie them in to safe places where you can.

I had an issue raising my playfield and a mod wire got caught on the cabinet bottom speaker. Luckily, nothing was broken in the process, but if I'd yanked harder on the playfield, I could have done some damage.

Keeping it tidy doesn't just look nicer, it's safer too.

Have fun.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I had an issue raising my playfield and a mod wire got caught on the cabinet bottom speaker.

This is the most common concern, as I've seen many people install stuff without making sure there is ample slag for moving the PF in all positions, and then some, and that it's not tucked nicely in the plastic rings.

#30 5 years ago

Got the 8 in 1 connector. I am getting there....

image-576.jpg image-379.jpg
    #31 5 years ago

that's a really good idea. Didn't even know they had an 8 in 1 for those 3 pin molexs

#32 5 years ago

Looks much cleaner!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Boards
    PinSound
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 75.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 399.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside