(Topic ID: 320759)

Can Ting help all pinball owners? New Product.

By OLDPINGUY

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    3881FBE5-BADF-4683-AD7F-7748EFB2CFC0 (resized).png
    51AF8FE6-E44F-410F-814B-2AB42FF067E1 (resized).png
    C2855F4D-792F-4214-A38F-E5651F25685B (resized).png
    70201AD3-C844-4928-9390-B68D9B32A974 (resized).png
    D095F9FD-9388-4F5F-9D50-FB4AF3CB5A1D (resized).jpeg
    killawatt (resized).jpg
    0A300A08-368B-4CCD-8048-C0CC439E01ED.gif
    4C480C2B-57F6-4612-B2F9-52ABBA3BE1B6.gif
    20220819_143345 (resized).jpg
    20220819_143353 (resized).jpg
    20220819_143331 (resized).jpg
    Ting (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Swainer80.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

It appears this is just a power quality monitor, and really, just a voltage monitor as it cannot measure any demand. It could be useful for monitoring for an arcing fault or monitoring for low/high voltage related to a loose neutral connection. The data collected probably isn't worth much as it is just voltage levels as it can't measure current so concerns about privacy probably aren't warranted for this device. If it was free from my insurance company, I would use it, but I wouldn't pay for it myself.

Exactly. It seems like it can read voltage and nothing else.Unless there was one on every single outlet that would detect a fault I just don't see it doing much. There is a really cool device I forgot the name of it but it has many amp clamps that goes on every single wire and your breaker panel and you can track every single circuit in your house that one is pretty cool. I'll link it later.

Edit: After looking at the website I am curious as to how it is able to pick up arcs. I wonder if down the road they would offer a premium reduction for such a device. I know some insurance companies give a break for a device called flow that monitors that monitors water usage. If a pipe burst it will pick up on it and it also can tell you if you are wasting any water with various drips and what not.

Thank you for sharing, Art

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #60 1 year ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

Sheeple....it never ends.
    All of these devices - anything with the word 'smart' in it - are the end of civilization. Or, your privacy and bank account, at least. Why would anyone want their power usage connected to some outside entity?
    I recently saw a note that power companies were considering turning off your 'smart' thermostat so you couldn't run too much AC in the summer. Lovely.
    I've had friends in the medical industry tell me all of your personal medical data/history is stored online in servers...in India. So much for medical privacy....
    Then we have people who willingly sign up to let their insurance company monitor to their driving under the guise of 'saving money' for being a safe driver.
    Now BMW is planning to charge customers a subscription fee each month to 'unlock' their car's features.
    All of it....the product of people who are otherwise useless. No real skills or talents? Peek into your neighbor's pockets.

Since you're from Texas perhaps you can understand this. Those smart thermostats are to reduce demand on the grid. The exact opposite of the end of civilization. It can actually make the grid more stable. Or you can enjoy freezing your ass off when ERCOT can't supply enough energy. Have fun with your economic freedum.

Edit: Watch this and learn something. We are a little more connected than you think.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

"Since you're from Texas perhaps you can understand this. Those smart thermostats are to reduce demand on the grid. The exact opposite of the end of civilization. It can actually make the grid more stable. Or you can enjoy freezing your ass off when ERCOT can't supply enough energy. Have fun with your economic freedum."
    I love it...The idea that 'they' know what's best for me...
    Here's a more enlightened idea - there is no need to reduce demand on the grid. Why would there be? It's not like there is a deficit if generation capability. What you're really seeing, again, is how people are led like sheep by the nose. The reason they want to reduce grid demand is purely economic...they had their MBA's do all the math and they've figured out that they can maximize their profits (and drive tree-hugging goals) by limiting power.
    Why lay out more capital to invest in additional generation when you can make sure the generation you already have is running with its tongue hanging out, 24 hours a day? The idea that the power company has a responsibility to serve the market is old school; now nothing matters but making sure the profit stays above 25%.
    Why maintain a staff of experienced plant engineers and grid operators to keep everything running smoothly, when you can reduce staff count, hire people off the street, and let the shit roll downhill? Out of chaos comes profits.
    The power grid problems we've seen are a 100% result of incompetence married to greed. The grid can be as stable as it was 10 or 30 years ago....no need to reach into people's houses.

No, you have it wrong. I don't understand (nor do I care to) how folks mind's have this pathological thought process where everything is political and think that "they" (the bad guys) know what is best for you. Not the point in this instance, at all.

In this case, "they" are the power company and are trying to protect "their" grid. It is a numbers game, economics as you mention. Not some sort of "agenda" from the people you don't like.

If folks in on my grid, Ameren, do this they get a subsidized T-stat and an annual rebate. It is much less expensive to do this than build another power plant. This is America, what do you have against profits? Based on some of the rhetoric you are spouting off, I am scratching my head that you are acting like this is a bad thing? Profits matter, everything else be dammed, right? Anything other then that is (you fill in the blank)!

That being said, the current and inevitable continual population increases will keep stretching the grid. No, I'm sure the number of electric meters, heaters and air conditioners are much higher now than they were 10 to 30 years ago. But hey, you are Texas! No need to interconnect to other grids, rugged individualism right? You won't be told what to do! Well, the past few hiccups in the power supply have shown that maybe working together might be a better way to go. Or you can just go to Cancun when things get cold.

#100 1 year ago
    Quoted from jchristian11:

Maybe using sources of electricity that reliable would help more.

I completely agree but unfortunately in this instance the stalwarts, gas and coal, fell on their faces. The renewables are nowhere near ready to take on that load. Hence being interconnected would increase reliability by a lot.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Swainer80.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-ting-help-all-pinball-owners-new-product?tu=Swainer80 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.