(Topic ID: 320759)

Can Ting help all pinball owners? New Product.

By OLDPINGUY

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    3881FBE5-BADF-4683-AD7F-7748EFB2CFC0 (resized).png
    51AF8FE6-E44F-410F-814B-2AB42FF067E1 (resized).png
    C2855F4D-792F-4214-A38F-E5651F25685B (resized).png
    70201AD3-C844-4928-9390-B68D9B32A974 (resized).png
    D095F9FD-9388-4F5F-9D50-FB4AF3CB5A1D (resized).jpeg
    killawatt (resized).jpg
    0A300A08-368B-4CCD-8048-C0CC439E01ED.gif
    4C480C2B-57F6-4612-B2F9-52ABBA3BE1B6.gif
    20220819_143345 (resized).jpg
    20220819_143353 (resized).jpg
    20220819_143331 (resized).jpg
    Ting (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eric_S.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 1 year ago

It appears this is just a power quality monitor, and really, just a voltage monitor as it cannot measure any demand. It could be useful for monitoring for an arcing fault or monitoring for low/high voltage related to a loose neutral connection. The data collected probably isn't worth much as it is just voltage levels as it can't measure current so concerns about privacy probably aren't warranted for this device. If it was free from my insurance company, I would use it, but I wouldn't pay for it myself.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

But back to the lightning strike...not a whole lot of things were taken out via the power line, most the expensive stuff took a hit thru ethernet or HDMI lines.

Check if your telephone and/or CATV line coming into your house is bonded. I work for a utility and have done hundreds of power quality investigations over the years and when I hear about damage where items plugged into communication-connected devices are damaged during a lightning strike (technical term is a transient over-voltage), I have found that lack of proper bonding of the communication utility service to a home's grounding system can be the issue. I've seen communication technicians try to "bond" their facility to PVC conduit before.

Quoted from Clnilsen:

Wouldn't a Whole Home Surge Suppression be just as good or better? I'm honestly not familiar with the pros / cons?

A whole home surge suppressor (from a reputable company) is a good investment, but it shunts over voltage transients to ground; it doesn't do any monitoring and would not prevent a arcing type fault.

Quoted from gdonovan:

You assume that is all it does, I'll point out that Google got caught with unadvertised microphones inside Nest thermostats.

For future features they claimed.

True, but that could be said for just about any electrical product on the market today. While there could be embedded spying components, I suspect most manufacturers aren't looking to add unnecessary costs to their products. I'm cautious about my privacy, but I'm also not going to be obsessive about every conceivable method that something could potentially be a spying device.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from mattster:

Everything electrical in your house has a kind of signature. Ergo, this system can learn when you take a dump, how much coffee you brew, how many times you open the fridge door, and on and on.

The Ting device does not have the ability to measure current, it is strictly a voltage monitoring device. Hence, it cannot record what devices you're using in your home to report to some corporation.

In more general terms, a voltage and current monitoring system would need to be installed to try to determine what devices in your home are being used. A true power quality monitor like this (https://powermonitors.com/product/guardian/) would be needed.

I've reviewed hundreds of power quality recordings and it is exceedingly difficult to determine what devices are being used in a home. A large electrical load like a central air conditioning unit turning on is usually easy to pick out, but smaller devices aren't going to be determined in most cases. Any resistive load (toaster, incandescent light, electric stove element) will not have a "signature" other than the amount of current it will draw. Other devices may have distinctive characteristics such as power factor phase shift due to capacitive or inductive load components, voltage and current waveform deformation due to non-linear loads, and specific harmonics caused by a device. However, the summation of the current waveforms from all of the electrical devices being used simultaneously in a home makes in almost impossible to determine what specific device may be operating at a specific time.

#111 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/power-monitoring-on-various-pinball-machines

I did some current monitoring of individual pinball machines a few years ago and have a graph in the link above. As you can see, there really isn't a distinctive "signature" and monitoring every load in an entire home would make it impossible to know anything about individual loads.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Eric_S.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-ting-help-all-pinball-owners-new-product?tu=Eric_S and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.