(Topic ID: 136750)

Can this System 11B be repaired (alkaline damage)

By Cheddar

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

445510.jpg
    IMAG1128.jpg
    IMAG1127.jpg
    IMAG1126.jpg
    IMAG1125.jpg
    IMAG1124.jpg
    IMAG1123.jpg
    IMAG1093.jpg
    IMAG1088.jpg
    IMAG1087.jpg
    IMAG1083.jpg
    IMAG1080.jpg
    IMAG1075.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Ok this system 11b board is pretty nasty. Looking at the front there are several dozen components to be replaced. The back looks ok at first but the connectors at the bottom, ugh!
    IMAG1075.jpgIMAG1075.jpg
    IMAG1080.jpgIMAG1080.jpgIMAG1083.jpgIMAG1083.jpgIMAG1087.jpgIMAG1087.jpgIMAG1088.jpgIMAG1088.jpg

To top it off a couple of previous repairs were not finished (looks nasty)
    IMAG1093.jpgIMAG1093.jpg

Opinions appreciated.

#4 8 years ago

So used or refurbished original or rottendog. Any other options or opinions?

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

I like your shoes.

Lol, I thought I had my junk out. What a day to actually be zipped!

#9 8 years ago

And thanks for all the love for my "Air Jesus" shoes!

#11 8 years ago

Ok anybody got a refurbished or used board?

#12 8 years ago

Update: I was able to install the board and while it did not boot by itself I was able to complete a boot using the cpu button. I got sound, coils, buttons and displays. I was unable to get very far into the service menu. I think the connector under the worst of the damage had the service buttons on it so that would explain it.

I put my ES board into it and was able to boot completely. same issues with the service buttons.

Next steps:
    I want to test out the power supply and test points before I put any real load on the ES Board.
    I'll repin the affected connectors and see where that gets me.

Anything you guys think I should check?

I think this machine can keep the ES board. If I buy a RD replacement I'll put it in my ES

#13 8 years ago

Update 2:

I removed the affected connectors, the pia nearest the battery holder, the ceramic resistors and the relay. The board looks pretty good underneath it all. The mask has lifted under the resistors but that is probably heat damage.

I think this board can be saved. Time for the wash and some continuity checking.

IMAG1123.jpgIMAG1123.jpgIMAG1124.jpgIMAG1124.jpgIMAG1125.jpgIMAG1125.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Update 3: rinsed with white vinegar, scrubbed worst areas with toothbrush. Soaked 15 minutes

Rinsed with distilled water, blew dry with compressor

Rinsed with 91% alcohol, blew dry with compressor

Looks much better. I'll probably replace the resistor network above the big resistors but everything else looks pretty good.

IMAG1126.jpgIMAG1126.jpgIMAG1127.jpgIMAG1127.jpgIMAG1128.jpgIMAG1128.jpg

#16 8 years ago

I'm putting together an order for replacement parts. I already have Pia's and connectors, plenty of crimp ends and an external battery pack.

I am ordering the 2 watt resistors, male header pins. Can anybody recommend other components to have on hand while repairing this?

Thanks

#18 8 years ago

I'll check that out. I am thinking about pulling a couple more chips too.

#19 8 years ago

Ok I inspected that area.no bubbling happening.I think this is uneven oxidation from the lifted mask.

I'll see if I can track down a better camera and get some better picks.

Should I try and remove the oxidation in some manner?

Update: looks like I can clean up the oxidation with a fiberglass pen

#22 8 years ago

I tried magic eraser without much effect. I think it's too fine for the job. I'll pick up a fiberglass pen at radioshack now that they are back.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheddar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-this-system-11b-be-repaired-alkaline-damage?tu=cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.