(Topic ID: 284642)

Can this electrical outlet be safely updated by me?

By embryonjohn

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Tuukka
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    3CDB2810-3A80-4268-AE53-D54ED31ACB8F (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    PASSEME02008_WB_1_PE_001 (resized).jpg
    17BCE28B-8C20-4E3A-A4BF-01D61C025E9C (resized).jpeg
    362CA064-606B-4DB0-B38F-AB5F8D7B4700 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

As old as that looks, I would want to know the wire size feeding it. Also, if you have “modern” machines, they depend on ground, so make sure ground is really there if you add a three prong plug.
    Nothing like the thrill of finding out your grounded receptacles are not grounded, and your knob and tube wiring is “protected” by a 20 amp breaker, and the wire can’t handle that many amps.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. I believe they run a smaller gauge of wire vs. the standard 15A breaker run.

#20 3 years ago

Let's hope your fuse box doesn't look like this...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #23 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I did not know that. I have a few outlets ungrounded and that would be an easy way to get some protection.

Quick FYI about a GFI

In a nut shell, a GFI simply monitors the delta of the current on hot line and the current on the neutral line. If everything is working correctly, the currents are the same (i.e. 1A on the hot coming in, 1A leaving on the neutral) and the GFI doesn't trip. If there's an imbalance (i.e. 1.005A coming in on the hot, and 1.000A leaving on the neutral), then that missing 5mA might be going thru you so it trips.

Don't know the actual trip point - I just tossed out some numbers for an example.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

220, 221.... whatever it takes!

OK, I might as well look it up...

"A GFCI, by standards definition, must trip the circuit if a ground fault occurs with a maximum of 6mA of current loss to ground. GFCIs are typically considered personnel protection devices and the maximum 6mA trip level is set at a level to protect injury to people."

"Trip time is the amount of time it takes for the device to cut off the power to the line after sensing the appropriate amount of current loss to ground...are designed to trip in less than the UL/CSA/ANCE standard of 25mS. The shorter the trip time, the less chance of personal or equipment injury"

https://www.lindequipment.net/blogmain/gfci

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Mr Mom reference. I couldn’t resist

Didn't realize that. Great, now I have to look that up too!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-this-electrical-outlet-be-safely-updated-by-me?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.