Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acrylic cement.JPG
    image-242.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

any ideas?

image-242.jpgimage-242.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Coils are cheap...unless its a rare one, spend the $10 and get a brandy-new one

#3 10 years ago

I suppose you could but why not spend the $10 and buy a new one.
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-22-550

#4 10 years ago

Agree, A-22 550 is a common Williams EM coil and not worth the time trying to find a temporary fix for it.

Steve

Quoted from NJGecko:

Coils are cheap...unless its a rare one, spend the $10 and get a brandy-new one

#6 10 years ago

thanks for confirming my thoughts... one coil added to my pbr order list...

#7 10 years ago

Yes, I use a small dob of silicone glue.

#8 10 years ago

Why prod problems you know are going to come.

#9 10 years ago

fixable with a little crazyglue and a bit of roughed up plastic, blob of hot melt glue after that to the coil side oughtta be solid enough to pop back in, have fixed worse than that for sure.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

This.

Your time is not worth messing with fixing it - then fixing it again 6 months from now.

Fix it right the first time.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Quoted from vid1900:

This.
    Your time is not worth messing with fixing it - then fixing it again 6 months from now.
    Fix it right the first time.

two trusted voices....

it has already been tossed into the "i'll unwind this someday and recycle it" box....

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

it has already been tossed into the "i'll unwind this someday and recycle it" box...

That was going to be my followup question. I refuse to toss old coils just based on their metal component. Throwing a half-pound of copper in a landfill is just more idiocy I can't be a part of. Anyone got a good recommendation where to take stuff like this?

#13 10 years ago

Epoxy will hold it together for years.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

That was going to be my followup question. I refuse to toss old coils just based on their metal component. Throwing a half-pound of copper in a landfill is just more idiocy I can't be a part of. Anyone got a good recommendation where to take stuff like this?

i take it over to the metal recycle place... google "metal recyclers", you should be able to find one nearby...

don't expect to retire on the proceeds though...

#15 10 years ago

I would have saved it.

The plastic serves no purpose other than holding the connector.

Epoxy will easily fix.

It's not the 10 bucks.

Why recycle something that looks good.

Now a smoked up one is a horse of a different color.

#16 10 years ago

I'm all for recycling things and saving original equipment, but epoxy is just too brittle in my eyes for that flexible plastic.

I'd bump it and it would break again to spite me - I guarantee it, because Murphy has it out for me.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

don't expect to retire on the proceeds though...

That's fine by me... I just want to preserve a valuable resource, not put it in a landfill. If there's half a pound of copper in there (probably high..I've never weighed a coil and I'm horrible with guessing), it's saving someone, somewhere, about 70 pounds of *ore* that's been mined.

#18 10 years ago

Ok, then fix it, put it in a drawer with the rest of the *usable replaced parts*, and use it for that emergency repair when you can't wait for the mailman. As vid said - don't rely on it.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from WOLF:

Ok, then fix it, put it in a drawer with the rest of the *usable replaced parts*, and use it for that emergency repair when you can't wait for the mailman. As vid said - don't rely on it.

nope... not dealing with it... virtually every other solenoid coil in this machine has been replaced due to the metal sleeves being welded in place*, one more new one isn't going to hurt...

once vid mentioned murphy's law, i remembered that my life is ruled by it, and a newie will be on the way monday... i have a few new ones for another part of the machine that i haven't gotten to yet, so no waiting on the mailman...

* i'll pull this one out of the recycle box and put it with the welded ones that i've been saving for bert to frustrate himself with...

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm all for recycling things and saving original equipment, but epoxy is just too brittle in my eyes for that flexible plastic.
    I'd bump it and it would break again to spite me - I guarantee it, because Murphy has it out for me.

That's why I use silicone glue. Stays flexible and can take the constant vibration.

#21 10 years ago

Since wer'e talking coils, anyone know the # for the rifle feedback coil on a '66 Midway captain kidd shooter? I can't make out the prefix but it's ?-22-1150.

#22 10 years ago

Don't know the start of the number but it's a 22 gauge 1150 winds coil. The letter is probably the bobbin size or sleeve shape.

Steve

Quoted from smokey_789:

Since wer'e talking coils, anyone know the # for the rifle feedback coil on a '66 Midway captain kidd shooter? I can't make out the prefix but it's ?-22-1150.

#23 10 years ago

Not 100% sure, but I think any apropriately sized coil using 22gage wire with 1150 wraps would work.

#24 10 years ago

smokey, from what I'd seen those numbers might indicate 22ga wire and 1150 turns, might help

#25 10 years ago

Right. 22 GA 1150 turns, but I need the letter indicating the frame size. I'm not sure if any coil sources give the frame size in inches.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

Right. 22 GA 1150 turns, but I need the letter indicating the frame size. I'm not sure if any coil sources give the frame size in inches.

If you do not get your answer today then I would just call Pinball Resource on Monday and talk to Steve as I am sure he would have an answer in 5 seconds. While your at it you might as well get an order together and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Ken

#27 10 years ago

From my bookmarks, here's a chart that John Robertson has compiled, perhaps it may help find a cross reference.

http://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

Steve

#28 10 years ago

Thanks Ken. Yeah, speaking to Steve is always an adventure but he IS the guru.

Steve, thanks for the link. I forgot about that one!

#29 10 years ago

You could save it. The hot glue gun seems to work the best for me in these types of applications because it will flex. Silicone would probably work really well too.

#30 10 years ago

We're all different. I'd solder the game's wire to that lug as it will work fine and probably last forever in a home environment. If you have any doubt, ty-wrap the wire to the circumference of the coil body.

#31 10 years ago

j b weld

#32 10 years ago

I used this to repair a broken (in half) drop target that is unavailable new. Seems like pretty industrial stuff but the verdict is out on long term bonding as it was repaired not long ago and the game still going through restoration, so no ball bashing yet. For that coil repair I'm sure it would be more than durable for the long haul IMO.

Ken

acrylic cement.JPGacrylic cement.JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-this-coil-be-saved and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.