Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CCM Bobbin 3 (1) (resized).jpg
    CCM Bobbin 3 (2) (resized).jpg
    CCM Bobbin 2 (2) (resized).jpg
    CCM Bobbin 2 (1) (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I am working on a Chicago Coin Turf Club and the coil for the Game Over Relay is toast. The coil is an L28-500 which is a 6.2 ohm coil, obviously 28 gauge wire, 500 turns. When I tried to order a replacement, the great folks at PBR advised me that an L28-500 is rarer than hen's teeth (my words not theirs), and suggested that I try rewinding the bobbin, if it's salvageable. I removed the old wire from the coil, ready to embark upon my first bobbin-winding, but I'm questioning whether this is usable. I am hoping that some of you with more experience than me can advise me as to whether you think this bobbin is salvageable. I think it looks pretty bad, but this is one of those relay coils where a screw goes into the core, so I really want to be wrong about that since I'm not sure what I should do if the bobbin is hopeless. I'd be most grateful for any suggestions!

CCM Bobbin 2 (1) (resized).jpgCCM Bobbin 2 (1) (resized).jpgCCM Bobbin 2 (2) (resized).jpgCCM Bobbin 2 (2) (resized).jpgCCM Bobbin 3 (2) (resized).jpgCCM Bobbin 3 (2) (resized).jpgCCM Bobbin 3 (1) (resized).jpgCCM Bobbin 3 (1) (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

APB_Enterprises posts here on Pinside. He winds coils. Shoot him a PM and see if he knows.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

I had no clue you could rewind coils. Guess it’s a good thing I’ve always saved my spare fried coils! Maybe there’s some use to them after all!

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

APB_Enterprises posts here on Pinside. He winds coils. Shoot him a PM and see if he knows.

If she contacts him I would ask him if you could use something like this as a suitable replacement (not sure, but it’s only off by 2 and same amount if winds).
    Or perhaps buy this and have it wound with the proper gauge wire.

A few of the normal suppliers list the exact replacement, but all say out of stock.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/L-26-500

#5 3 years ago

I've found coils, especially these smaller ones, to have a lot more flexibility than people think. I've replaced coils like those in a Chicago Coin Bowler with Gottlieb and Williams coils that were the same size physically but different gauge and wire length. There's leeway in both directions, so if they are reasonably close they will probably work.

However I've never tried it on coils that hold a long time (like a lock coil). They might require closer matching. It looks like this Game Over coil probably holds for long periods, so YMMV.

On the other hand their original winding didn't exactly fare too well either.

#6 3 years ago

Maybe if another coil with same dimensions, but different winding could be found more easily than the 28-500, you could remove old winding from it and then rewind with 500 turns of #28 wire.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for the lead on contacting APB_Enterprises, @ltg! I'll reach out to him and see what he thinks about the possibility of re-using my bobbin or other alternatives.

Hey there, @coindork! Awesome to see a familiar face here on Pinside! I like your idea about rewinding the L26-500 with 28 gauge wire from my donor coil, if the screw will work with that bobbin. For under $20, it would be worth a shot. It's interesting that the L26-500's are available while the L28-500 is little more than a line item in arcade game history. When I spoke to the fellow at Pinball Resource about it, he took the time to explain to me about how it wasn't really practical to try to reproduce these more rare and oddball bobbins since they weren't used in many games. It totally makes sense, but it's still disappointing. I used to gripe about how hard it could be hard to source some parts for the 80's video games, but now that I'm working on a couple of EM games, I have a whole new perspective on it!

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from CarrieZ:

Thanks for the lead on contacting APB_Enterprises, ltg! I'll reach out to him and see what he thinks about the possibility of re-using my bobbin or other alternatives.
    Hey there, coindork! Awesome to see a familiar face here on Pinside! I like your idea about rewinding the L26-500 with 28 gauge wire from my donor coil, if the screw will work with that bobbin. For under $20, it would be worth a shot. It's interesting that the L26-500's are available while the L28-500 is little more than a line item in arcade game history. When I spoke to the fellow at Pinball Resource about it, he took the time to explain to me about how it wasn't really practical to try to reproduce these more rare and oddball bobbins since they weren't used in many games. It totally makes sense, but it's still disappointing. I used to gripe about how hard it could be hard to source some parts for the 80's video games, but now that I'm working on a couple of EM games, I have a whole new perspective on it!

Hi CarrieZ
    Yeah, there’s a number of us that cross over the various coin operated game genres so you will probably see a few familiar faces here.
    Glad to see your fixing up some old EM games. That’s stuff is the grass roots of the arcade hobby and there’s no where near enough of it left in the world.
    Also very few places left where people can go play that kind of stuff.
    Looks like you took on a really neat one there.
    I played one that was a similar concept as far as gameplay at the Pinball hall of fame that was Base Ball themed. Really fun and interesting stuff that needs to be preserved.

#9 3 years ago

I wouldn't use that again. Just use another coil with the same frame size and approximately resistance and you should be fine.

#10 3 years ago

LTG Many thanks for the suggestion to reach out to APB_Enterprises! Andrew got back to me very quickly and let me know "the bobbin is garbage." He also gave me the fantastic news that they are just a few weeks away from having a replacement L28-500. While I was kind of looking forward to trying my hand at bobbin winding, there's no urgency with getting the game going, so I'm going to wait to order the part from APB Enterprises rather than trying to get creative with a substitute.

Many thanks to all who chimed in with suggestions and thoughts!

#11 3 years ago

I'm an EM newbie, what does this bobbin/coil do in the game? It's not a solenoid, right?

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

I'm an EM newbie, what does this bobbin/coil do in the game? It's not a solenoid, right?

It's the shell for containing the winding for a solenoid/coil.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeDanger:

It's not a solenoid, right?

Yes it is. Instead of pullung a plunger though the coil, it pulls a metal plate to the top where those two metal things are sticking up on top.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Yes it is. Instead of pullung a plunger though the coil, it pulls a metal plate to the top where those two metal things are sticking up on top.

Well if we want to get really picky a solenoid is generally much longer than it is in diameter which doesn't describe a whole lot of coils in a game. For pinball purposes most people think a solenoid pulls in a plunger and a coil does the job on relays with no plunger.

That is of course, as I said, being picky...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-this-bobbin-be-saved and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.