(Topic ID: 206616)

Can this be true? - Stern revenue up 40% in 2016 and 30% in 2017.

By lpeters82

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 185 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Brijam
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2D30C062-9415-491A-A11B-8BB89A06CD82 (resized).jpeg
    13.-The-Troll (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 6.31.50 AM (resized).png
    Pineapple (resized).PNG
    E992E7C1-40DC-4186-A0A6-9843A2E41979 (resized).jpeg
    C5055865-8E12-4472-83E8-85B81A8750A9 (resized).png
    DpQ9YJl (resized).png

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

Here is the quote:

"Since then, popularity has ebbed and flowed. But Zach Sharpe says his company’s revenue has shot up in recent years. This year revenue grew 30 percent over 2016 and 2016 was up 40 percent over 2015."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/tilt-old-school-pinball-is-no-longer-old-school/2017/12/26/d86a60e6-ea38-11e7-956e-baea358f9725_story.html?utm_term=.67e1ea1fddca

#2 6 years ago

Two things (my take):

1. If Zach said it, then it's probably true.
    2. If it's true, then it's good for the pinball industry as a whole.

#3 6 years ago

Well prices are up so there you go.

#4 6 years ago

They moved to their current HQ in mid July. It's 110,000 square feet, around 3x bigger than the last place.

It would be a really bad thing if revenue weren't up.

#5 6 years ago

That’s a good news. Good for Stern. I’m pleased to see Pinball thriving.

#6 6 years ago

I read this in the local paper.

#7 6 years ago

Wow, this is great news. I'm a B/W and JJP man typically, but numbers like that show that pinball will be around for a while to come. This is all good news for the industry... now if we can just get CGC to remake "Mephisto"!!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Here is the quote:
    "Since then, popularity has ebbed and flowed. But Zach Sharpe says his company’s revenue has shot up in recent years. This year revenue grew 30 percent over 2016 and 2016 was up 40 percent over 2015."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/tilt-old-school-pinball-is-no-longer-old-school/2017/12/26/d86a60e6-ea38-11e7-956e-baea358f9725_story.html?utm_term=.67e1ea1fddca

What was the percentage of price increase and BOM decrease via cost cutting in 2015, 2016 and 2017?

In 2015 you could buy a NIB Stern pro for $4200
    in 2016 you could buy a NIB Stern pro for $4800
    in 2017 you could buy a NIB Stern pro for $5400

I would guess that BOM went down a couple hundred each year?

That along accounts for 20% or more change each year.

Also in that time they have a few big cash grabs like the BM66le and SLE stuff.

This to me in evidence of how mush more they are charging for a cheaper product and less about increased sales.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

What was the percentage of price increase and BOM decrease via cost cutting in 2015, 2016 and 2017?
    in 2017 you could buy a NIB Stern pro for $5100
    This to me in evidence of how mush more they are charging for a cheaper product and less about increased sales.

If I were guessing I'd say that BOM has not went down and has steadily increased. With each system update or change that pinside claims in making stern millions they have to spend years on development and often have had issues and setbacks that end up costing big $. Some people seem to think the LCD is cheaper. The part is, but the development time, additional code, additional graphics employees, etc certainly add a huge amount to the cost. People that think stern is making pro's today for cheaper then they did 3 years ago and are charging 20% more are dreaming.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

in 2017 you could buy a NIB Stern pro for $5100

My $5400 SW Pro disagrees haha.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Sorry, typo. Corrected now. Yeah prices have steadily risen by approx 600 the past few years.

#12 6 years ago

I believe it. Prices are getting pretty high.

#13 6 years ago

Got to laugh. Yes hopefully their revenue went up but so did their expenses I am sure. More important number is EBITDA or cash flow after capital expenses.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I agree with the elements in your post, but keep in mind that revenue and income are not the same things. Price increases impact revenue as well as volume, other items--including lower BOM, increased productivity impact the bottom line. Also, sales mix as represented by higher priced games like BM66 or other Premium or LE releases would positively impact the top line. In simple terms, Stern is selling more pins at higher prices, and might be selling more of the expensive pins, Premium and LE, as a percent of overall sales.

#15 6 years ago

Stern revenue has increased, but profits have not as were projected, and actually declined, although not a severe as 2006.
    My assessment from industry professionals.

On an interesting note, Stern and Spooky the only pinball companies that are not "deep in the red" although CGC has rebounded with sales on AFMr with growth. All others remain in a state of financial debt and yet to turn ANY LTD (lifetime to date) versus YTD (year to date) significant profit including JJP. Many remain in a state of ongoing crisis, have no market growth at all, or remain untested due to lack of game sales.
    The key is to review deeper than a simple artificial percentage number.

Do not accept marketing as pure fact, another basis for mistakes when buying or "investing" into a company's long term viability.
    The pinball industry currently is riding a knife edge.
    Only 3-4 companies have any long term viability for survival and this is dependent on immediate sales within the next two years.
    The Stern investor council could still pull the plug, if they choose, not that I am aware that they have interest at the present time in doing so as this would unhinge the entire industry.
    It is more of a "watch and wait" period from their perspective, but Stern needs another new "hit" like everyone else on future titles.

Keep flipping

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well prices are up so there you go.

Not at all. That two year, 58% increase is just a pretty huge increase. There are reasons why that could be good or bad, but that number alone doesn't really tell the complete story. It's used as a positive in the article, so my assumption is it's positive. I just hadn't heard that before this article, thus it peaks my interest.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Stern revenue has increased, but profits have not as were projected, and actually declined, although not a severe as 2006.
    On an interesting note, Stern and Spooky the only pinball companies that are not "deep in the red" although CGC has rebounded with sales on AFMr with growth. All others remain in a state of financial debt and yet to turn ANY LTD (lifetime to date) versus YTD (year to date) significant profit including JJP. Many remain in a state of ongoing crisis, have no market growth at all, or remain untested due to lack of game sales.
    Do not accept marketing as pure fact, another basis for mistakes when buying or "investing" into a company's long term viability.
    Only 3-4 companies have any long term viability for survival and this is dependent on immediate sales within the next two years.
    The Stern investor council could still pull the plug, if they choose, not that I am aware that they have interest at the present time in doing so as this would unhinge the entire industry.
    It is more of a "watch and wait" period from their perspective, but Stern needs another new "hit" like everyone else on future titles.
    Keep flipping

DpQ9YJl (resized).pngDpQ9YJl (resized).png

#18 6 years ago

Revenue increases are good and all, but profits are the actual important measure. I would hope that their profits are doing better. I know that Stern has made an effort to increase the quality of their art, which had to come with added cost to game development. SPIKE has also been a continual work in progress, so there's some ongoing additional R&D happening.

But hey, this sure beats the years of shrinking revenues. Pinball might not be getting anybody rich quickly, but at least it's not dying anymore.

If revenue is the only measure we're able to see, at least we see that it's going up.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Keep flipping

How could you POSSIBLY know about the books at all these companies?

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How could you POSSIBLY know about the books at all these companies?

The same way Leia came back to life in the vaccuum of space and flew back to that ship...

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Dude, cut it out already! This is a recent quote from another thread where you predicted that Sterns numbers were declining:

Quoted from Whysnow:

All this data reinforces that Stern is cutting the bottom line, attempting to decrease cycle time, and focused on selling based off license and hype machine. I see the tides as obviously changing for Stern and am actually excited to see what they do to adapt. THey have adapted before and they will again if thye are to continue to hold the market.

So for once and for all: PLEASE STOP TELLING EVERYONE HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ABOUT STERN!!!

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

So for once and for all: PLEASE STOP TELLING EVERYONE HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ABOUT STERN!!!

Or lack thereof.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from BrianBannon:

I agree with the elements in your post, but keep in mind that revenue and income are not the same things. Price increases impact revenue as well as volume, other items--including lower BOM, increased productivity impact the bottom line. Also, sales mix as represented by higher priced games like BM66 or other Premium or LE releases would positively impact the top line. In simple terms, Stern is selling more pins at higher prices, and might be selling more of the expensive pins, Premium and LE, as a percent of overall sales.

Whats BOM mean ??????

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Wakky:

Whats BOM mean ??????

Horseshit is what it means especially in pinball where theme and gameplay rules. I'll take a bare bones fast game with good code and cool theme over a loaded piece of crap any day, I mean who would buy a pinball machine based on BOM?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Horseshit is what it means especially in pinball where theme and gameplay rules. I'll take a bare bones fast game with good code and cool theme over a loaded piece of crap any day, I mean who would buy a pinball machine based on BOM?

#HobbitOwners

#27 6 years ago

I think the road ahead is very bleak. When the economy starts to rescind, money will dry up. The fact is that hits are needed by every manufacturer at this point. GOTG is probably not selling well and there is a flood of options available.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on CGC and Spooky. Stern can weather soft sales, but if they raise prices without the must have title, they may have issues.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Dude, cut it out already! This is a recent quote from another thread where you predicted that Sterns numbers were declining:

Gotta love when you can't actualy form a logical deduction to make an inverse case as part of a discussion, so instead you just take something out of context, remove all the data, and try and spin it. I know you are a Stern fanboy, but this tactic is akin to someone so iggnorant that they don't understand difference between weather and climate, so they attempt to say a cold snap means global climate change does not exist. Sad that this discussion tactic has become so common in our idiocracy society.

If you are incapable of making basic deductions using data and observations, then kindly stay out of the conversation rather than misquoting or being willfully iggnorant to try and spin a falsehood. If you actually want to come to the table with some data and logical reasoning then let us know and I would enjoy continuing the conversation.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from hank527:

When the economy starts to rescind, money will dry up.

What, we aren't all going to get rich from bitcoin?

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

What, we aren't all going to get rich from bitcoin?

Futures market is where it is really at!

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Wrong. GOT was never $4200 in 2015. $4700 was more like it for NIB.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Wrong. GOT was never $4200 in 2015. $4700 was more like it for NIB.

Stern games in 2015...

WWE $4200 (actually think some people got this for $4k)
    Kiss $4300 (some were still getting them for $41 or 4200)
    GOT $4500 (plenty got them for $4200-4400)

Wasnt GOT the start of a price increase and late in the year?

Either way, I am correct and games were $4200 (or less) in 2015. The point being that Stern has raised prices ~$600 YOY

#33 6 years ago

Here are the historical MSRPs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-game-release-history

Not the street prices, but you could still calculate the percent increases.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Stern games in 2015...
    WWE $4200 (actually think some people got this for $4k)
    Kiss $4300 (some were still getting them for $41 or 4200)
    GOT $4500 (plenty got them for $4200-4400)
    Wasnt GOT the start of a price increase and late in the year?
    Either way, I am correct and games were $4200 (or less) in 2015. The point being that Stern has raised prices ~$600 YOY

Actually I believe IMVE and Met pro were the last 2 games that people were getting in the $4400 range. Things started going up with TWD and steadily increased from there. You must have a great distro as your listed prices are always $300+ lower then what most of us seem to be able to get.

#35 6 years ago

And isn’t some of the price increases not Stern raising their prices but that the distributors maintain a higher ‘floor’? Ie: helping the distributors earn a living instead of undercutting each other?

I know we all want everyone to provide our high priced entertainment for free but everyone has to eat.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Gotta love when you can't actualy form a logical deduction to make an inverse case as part of a discussion, so instead you just take something out of context, remove all the data, and try and spin it. I know you are a Stern fanboy, but this tactic is akin to someone so iggnorant that they don't understand difference between weather and climate, so they attempt to say a cold snap means global climate change does not exist. Sad that this discussion tactic has become so common in our idiocracy society.
    If you are incapable of making basic deductions using data and observations, then kindly stay out of the conversation rather than misquoting or being willfully iggnorant to try and spin a falsehood. If you actually want to come to the table with some data and logical reasoning then let us know and I would enjoy continuing the conversation.

I love when you can’t actually form a logical deduction that your arrogance is so blind. You are the one to make a inverse case as part of every discussion on every pinside thread. If any one is incapable of making basic deductions or observations of any conversation in a pinside thread is you Hilton. Your response to 95% of the threads is to show up to exhibit haughty behavior to make people envious of your perceived intelligence.
    Ever since you have been on pinside you have created a long term pattern of exaggerated self-importance and excessive need of admiration. Stop taking advantage of these threads to make others envious to you. It’s not working.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Let me dumb it down enough for you this time.

3 days ago in the "Why doesn't Stern show us their production numbers?" thread, you stated:

Quoted from Whysnow:

# sold is likely continuing to decline.

And unless you're saying that Zach Sharpe is lying, you've been proven absolutely, 100% completely wrong. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    The truth is, you've been one of the saltiest anti-Stern Pinsiders ever since they rejected your Stern army application.

After the numerous threads, posts, and comments from various Pinsiders stating that Sterns quality control practices are causing them to lose sales, it's FANTASTIC to see that they are selling more and more games and yet we're seeing hardly ANY Pinsiders with unresolved issues.

So could you maybe just state in full caps that you hate Stern, and then forever keep quiet on the subject, since you're not basing any of your comments on actual facts, and rather just emotion and bias?

Lastly, "iggnorant" is spelled "ignorant". That's one word you should probably have figured out by now.

#38 6 years ago

Didn’t need any to tell me that ..... my pockets feel much lighter

#39 6 years ago

Yup prices are up. I know it won’t be popular to say this but I am going to say that it was partially our faults.

Remember 2016 when GB LE came out at $7700 and folks were flipping them for $9000 easy? RZ was announced at low production numbers and everyone thought they would be able to sell them for $1000+ more? AMH must be a $7000 game also - right? ACDC Luci? Rarer than ACDC LE and it is worth $8500+ for it. Stock ACDC prems are $7000+ if you can find one. Stern and other manufacturers took notice and tested the market with BM66 pricing. BM66 looks fantastic and LE’s are in low production - I want that!!

2016 got a little out of hand and raised the bar on pricing and we don’t see any flips or anyone selling games at more than they paid NIB anymore. Well long term WMS/Bally owners still do well.

I think the end of flipping is a good thing long term, but bad because most of that is because of the manufactures increases. All of them.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I think the end of flipping is a good thing long term, but bad because most of that is because of the manufactures increases. All of them.

In the short term it will be good for sales.......... Long term not so good. With Stern set pricing how long will in be before people stop taking a beating on NIB games. Remember the days when LEs used to sell out on preorder without even seeing the game.

They fkd up that by flooding the market with them. That used to be guaranteed sales before the games even shipped. Now with the $$$$$ price tags people wait to play. I know guys that would order every single title, now they play then choose. Turd game =crap sales now.

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

And unless you're saying that Zach Sharpe is lying, you've been proven absolutely, 100% completely wrong. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    The truth is, you've been one of the saltiest anti-Stern Pinsiders ever since they rejected your Stern army application.

After the numerous threads, posts, and comments from various Pinsiders stating that Sterns quality control practices are causing them to lose sales, it's FANTASTIC to see that they are selling more and more games and yet we're seeing hardly ANY Pinsiders with unresolved issues.

So could you maybe just state in full caps that you hate Stern, and then forever keep quiet on the subject, since you're not basing any of your comments on actual facts, and rather just emotion and bias?

Lastly, "iggnorant" is spelled "ignorant". That's one word you should probably have figured out by now.

this is both sad and stupid. I am not sure I can bring things down to your level...

Since prices have gone up (indisputable fact) and they claim revenue has gone up, then it is really easy to sell fewer games for more money per game and increase revenue...

You have to also acknowledge the evidence that sales qty have gone down; look at the reported pinside numbers you ignored/spun the quotes from the other thread.

If you sell fewer games for more money, then you can still increase revenue... The question is if they are increasing profit or still holding the 90% of market share they claim.

If you also keep BOM steady (or more likely decreased based on what those paying attention see in games) then you increase profit also.

Pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that on average Stern is selling fewer # per title. They are counter acting that by decreasing cycle time to try and put out more titles each year. They are cutting corners on QC, BOM, etc... and increase price to try and recoup profits. They are very smart and savvy at this business. I personally think they may have pushed the decreased quality and increased BOM a bot too far. I look forward to what comes from them and how they react as I think good things could and will come from that.

I think it is funny that you think I am a Stern hater when I own more Sterns than the majority of collectors... Hell I own 10x the number of Sterns that you do... lol...
    (I dont mean that as a pissing contest. Just pointing out that for being such a hater... I sure do own a bunch of Sterns.)

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

this is both sad and stupid. I am not sure I can bring things down to your level...
    Since prices have gone up (indisputable fact) and they claim revenue has gone up, then it is really easy to sell fewer games for more money per game and increase revenue...
    You have to also acknowledge the evidence that sales qty have gone down; look at the reported pinside numbers you ignored/spun the quotes from the other thread.
    If you sell fewer games for more money, then you can still increase revenue... The question is if they are increasing profit or still holding the 90% of market share they claim.
    If you also keep BOM steady (or more likely decreased based on what those paying attention see in games) then you increase profit also.
    Pretty obvious to anyone paying attention that on average Stern is selling fewer # per title. They are counter acting that by decreasing cycle time to try and put out more titles each year. They are cutting corners on QC, BOM, etc... and increase price to try and recoup profits. They are very smart and savvy at this business. I personally think they may have pushed the decreased quality and increased BOM a bot too far. I look forward to what comes from them and how they react as I think good things could and will come from that.
    I think it is funny that you think I am a Stern hater when I own more Sterns than the majority of collectors... Hell I own 10x the number of Sterns that you do... lol...
    (I dont mean that as a pissing contest. Just pointing out that for being such a hater.. I sure do own a bunch of Sterns.)

I just looked at your current collection and you own 0 Sterns.....confused by your claim to own 10x more.......

C5055865-8E12-4472-83E8-85B81A8750A9 (resized).pngC5055865-8E12-4472-83E8-85B81A8750A9 (resized).png

#43 6 years ago

Stern Pinball Company is on a Roll good for them

E992E7C1-40DC-4186-A0A6-9843A2E41979 (resized).jpegE992E7C1-40DC-4186-A0A6-9843A2E41979 (resized).jpeg

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

(I dont mean that as a pissing contest. Just pointing out that for being such a hater... I sure do own a bunch of Sterns.)

I think you're missing the big picture (or failing to admit the following):

STERN IS KICKING ASS SALES-WISE AND KNOCKING IT OUT OF THE M-F'N PARK!

I tried telling you how ridiculous your comment was in the other thread, guesstimating numbers without any real evidence.
    You still disagreed.
    Josh now states that revenue is up massively, and you're STILL trying to argue, saying that they simply must be producing fewer machines. (And yes, I do understand how that could be possible)
    But it's not the case. They are on FIRE, cranking out truck-loads of games. More than last year.

Get used to it. They're not being forced to "adapt" (as you stated) due to decreased sales, any time soon.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Josh now states that revenue is up massively, and you're STILL trying to argue, saying that they simply must be producing fewer machines. (And yes, I do understand how that could be possible)
    But it's not the case. They are on FIRE, cranking out truck-loads of games. More than last year.

You owe $1 to the "Josh doesn't work at Stern, Zach does" cookie jar!

I'd comment on the real numbers but this pesky NDA keeps getting in the way. I'll go back to lurking and reading all the "logical" prognasticating going on

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I purchased 2 NIB games in 2017. One was $5100 and the other was $5000. Admittedly they were games that have been in production for a number of years though.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I just looked at your current collection and you own 0 Sterns.....confused by your claim to own 10x more.......

What i list on pinside is a small snippet of my full collection.

#48 6 years ago

Does anyone else not care at all? I personally couldn't care less if Sterns numbers are through the roof or tanking with everything inbetween. As long as they are making games thats where it ends for me.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Clearly we never just get a "snippet" of your opinion on anything.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Got it, so you are untrustworthy......

There are 185 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-this-be-true-stern-revenue-up-40-in-2016-and-30-in-2017?hl=djoverpour and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.