(Topic ID: 159362)

Can this be fixed?

By joekiss

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160508_123954_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Been like this for a long time. Williams widebody.

20160508_123954_(resized).jpg20160508_123954_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Epoxy should do the trick....

#3 7 years ago

I fixed mine with JB weld, but only had the two end welds break loose, not the entire bar like yours.

#4 7 years ago

You can re-spot weld it (done in seconds), or epoxy it.

If you epoxy, make sure you rough up the 2 surfaces with 80grit, and clean the hell out of it before gluing.

#5 7 years ago

jewlery stores have laser welders.they can weld it back togeter with very little heat and no discoloration for a permanent fix.

#6 7 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2713 If you can't fix it good, they are available.

LTG : )

#7 7 years ago

I just can't pay $100 for a lockdown bar ... have to draw the line someplace

#8 7 years ago

Any welding or body shop can fix that easily and quickly.

#9 7 years ago

Any idea how much it would cost to have welded?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from joekiss:

Any idea how much it would cost to have welded?

TIG welding would probably be $15.

Tell the alcoholic at the welding shop that it is from a pinball machine; he might give you a discount if you listen to his pinball story.

#11 7 years ago

Awesome! Will do.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Tell the alcoholic at the welding shop that it is from a pinball machine; he might give you a discount if you listen to his pinball story.

Wow - I don't force my pinball story on anybody! LOL

#13 7 years ago

I have a TIG and spot welder in my shop, but honestly I would just epoxy the parts back together if I were in your shoes.

The risk of burning through is just too great for thin metal parts like this (i.e. making a hole in metal). The problem with a welding shop is they may put the flunky/trainee on the job because if it fails it is not a big deal. Overheating Stainless steel is really easy when welding.

There is so much surface area on these parts it would be very easy to get an excellent glue job with the cheapest of wal-mart epoxies. As Vid said, sand the surface, clean with alcohol or other degreaser and glue them together. You will use a $1 worth of glue and half and hour of your time to do the job well. It will take you at least that long and more money to go to a welding shop and get them to do the job.

Most epoxies have strength in at least the 100's of PSI. Start to add up the square inches on that lockdown bar. That glue joint if well done would need 1000's of pounds of force to break it apart.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

Most epoxies have strength in at least the 100's of PSI. Start to add up the square inches on that lockdown bar. That glue joint if well done would need 1000's of pounds of force to break it apart.

Very true, and worst case scenario, if it doesn't hold you can just sand/grind off the epoxy and your back in the same place you are now.

#15 7 years ago

I have used PL premium , and some clamps . till it dries . that stuffs sticks anything together

#16 7 years ago

My lockdown bar on my WH2O was welded in those three circles and it did burn through. Now, this was before I owned it, but it does show a little on the top side. Not bad, but noticable.

#17 7 years ago

I used epoxy on one once. Worked perfect.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-this-be-fixed-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.