pinball20_(resized).jpg
pinball21_(resized).jpg
pinball20_(resized).jpg
pinball25_(resized).jpg
pinball26_(resized).jpg
pinball27_(resized).jpg
pin2_(resized).jpg
pin3_(resized).jpg
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 8 years ago

1 day hose. 7 days drying plus I work for a living. 2 hrs last night. Total time so far about 5 hrs.

#102 8 years ago

So, let me get this straight. It only took you two hours to bring the entire lower cabinet electronics to the point where it would run through the start up sequence? And that is after you sprayed the shit out of it to get rid of the mouse stuff? What the F am I doing wrong? It takes me two hours to troubleshoot one simple start up sequence issue. Here is the bottom board I am about ready to start on. I don't stand a chance.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

I don't stand a chance.

I would replace the motor board with a new one and take apart all the metal and have it bead or sand blasted then paint.

Ken

#104 8 years ago

wire brushed the connecting pins, plugged it in and it worked. Some sticking, but a little WD40 took care of that. Flippers even worked. It wants to run, surprised the hell out of us. My em guy is Tony from justpushplay. He's walking me through clean up, explaining how parts work and the right way to take apart. Today spent 2 hrs on initial playfield cleaning. metal parts went into tumbler, plastic parts (not the plastics) such as white posts went into mean green bucket to soak.

pin30_(resized).jpgpin30_(resized).jpg

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

Some sticking, but a little WD40 took care of that.

Throw that WD40 in the garbage can. It causes more problems than it solves.
You will thank me later.

#108 8 years ago

Awesome progress Jesster! Really enjoying this thread. Glad you're seeing signs of life and the game wants to run!

#109 8 years ago

Thanks sevenrites. The wear on the upper left and right can never be restored. Colors will not match, so Tony was thinking some new decal or overlay, maybe arrows that curl around and come down to the "50 or 500 points" arrows. They will be symetrical and cover wear. So its not an exact art match, it will still play the same. Also, any suggestions on the badly stained wood underneath the middle flippers? Paint those areas white? Same with staining in front of lower flipers.

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

Colors will not match

I've seen people taking blends of colors, mixing them to try and get close, then putting them on some clear plastic and waiting for it to dry, then laying it over the spot on the play field to see how close it is. A lot of times, from what I've read, this is the only way to get close to the original color & compensate for fade & etc. So you may still have a good shot, you've already come this far and done a lot, I doubt it would be too difficult since you've done this much. It's an option at least. And one I will also try when that time comes for me.

Even so, just having it up and running and playing is good enough a lot of times! You have to draw a line somewhere. Every game and situation is different.

Vid is the restoration expert, so I have no idea how to do the flipper area - I'd either try and magic eraser them down to the natural wood color, or maybe try to apply some type of wood stain to darken up the light spots. But that could be bad, so consult an expert because I don't know!

(see Vid's guide to ultimate play field restoration if you haven't already - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/57#post-2948031)

#111 8 years ago

Wow great job so far

#112 8 years ago

You're doing the Lord's work as far as I'm concerned. I love working on these old basketcases, it's really fun... but I've had 1 or 2 that had the mouse trail thing going on and that's just the worst problem I've ran into, it's disgusting. Basically the mice had poop hanging out of them and ran around the playfield for years leaving little trails everywhere, even when you clean it it's hard to get it all off. It's a damn shame too because both of those games are great. That wear in the pink on the jack in the box looks bad, but they ALL do that in the same spot from the eject holes, just nowhere near as bad as yours. Pink is pretty easy to match, go to Michaels and get some of their little acrylic paint bottles for .99, I used one of their colors off the shelf and it was a near perfect match. Just buy 4 or 5 different pinks and one will be really close. I'd try to repaint the entire pink area down to the arrows to make it even, if wont' be easy though.

I think you'll get them, hang in there... you'll have a couple good games in the end. The Jungle Backglass looks VERY nice, the Jack in the Box is saveable in my opinion but it'll never be super nice.

#113 8 years ago

As for the area around the flippers, I wonder if you can mask off the paint and sand the natural color back out of the wood? The lighter area under the flippers I wouldn't really be concerned about, it's like a bikini line.

#114 8 years ago

Oh and one other thing about Jack in the Box, when you take the drop target assembly apart, replace all the drop targets with new ones. On this game once they get old, they get brittle... so just as soon as you get it all back together, your flippers will break the top off of one of the old brittle drop targets, and you'll have to take the whole damn thing back apart to fish that one out. Then after you put it back together, two hours later you'll break another one. The new drop targets aren't brittle and flex a little bit when hit so they don't break.

1 week later
#115 8 years ago

quick update. started cleaning connections under playfield. Next step, take apart scoring reels and clean. Tony says thats about 8 hrs work. Cabinet does not stink. But still some mouse gunk around parts and might need another wash. Tumbled metal parts, looking good. White plastic posts did not come out super clean after soaking a week in green solution. Will also work on cleaning playfield plastics this week.

pin42_(resized).jpgpin42_(resized).jpg

#116 8 years ago

This is jungle playfield after taking everything off. I have not begun to clean, probably a quick initial wipe today.

pin41_(resized).jpgpin41_(resized).jpg

pin40_(resized).jpgpin40_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clarita, CA
There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-they-be-saved/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.