(Topic ID: 220161)

Can the interconnect connectors on E.M's be replaced?

By NYP

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Jones Plug (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

Have a captain fantastic that has very loose connections and it's causing problems. The male connector isn't fitting tight enough into the female connector. I'm talking about the connectors that connect the backbox to the body. Does someone sell new ones ? I'm not an E.M guy but my thought is to try to squeeze the female ends tighter with a needle-nose but my fear is they may break, just trying to plan ahead before I delve into this. TIA

#2 10 months ago

I usually do try to slightly bend them back in a little when presented with a loose connection. You should be fine. I would try with your fingers first and don't resort to tolls to bend them, unless absolutely necessary.

#3 10 months ago

I'm not aware of any new ones being made, but you might be able to find a replacement from a parted out game.

#4 10 months ago

You can replace the female connectors, but they do have to come from a parted out game. I tend to stick to same manufacturer (they come up on ebay or at pinball shows frequently) where possible.

To replace, you desolder one wire at a time and solder to the new connector - this will help you maintain position.

As far as repair of your existing connector - do not use a needle-nose if you fear the connector may be compromised. Simply remove the male connector, then squeeze between your fingers (on opposite sides of the connector) slightly. If a tab breaks, you can -slightly- bend the remaining top part of the tab downwards to maintain pressure and connection until you can find a replacement.

Good luck!

-edit- I see Snyper mentioned the same stuff up above! I'm a day late and a dollar short. Haha!

#5 10 months ago

Those old "Jones" style connectors have not been made for 40 years. New old stock has been exhausted so your only hope is connectors from a parted out machine.

#6 10 months ago

I'm gonna say that this is a possibility to use but I do not have experience with the product, maybe someone else can chime in.
    https://www.electronicsurplus.com/connectors/cinch-jones-connector

-Mike

#7 10 months ago

I have some used Bally Jones plugs. What size do you need?
    Or you could try asking here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread

/Mark

#8 10 months ago

Thanks for the replies, well I learned they're called Jones plugs, very surprised no one has remade these especially since they are used in so many games. Going to try squeezing them together and see how that works.

#9 10 months ago

Would be cool if someone would remake these with small screw type connectors for the wires on top.

#10 10 months ago

Individual male Jones plugs are just metal tubes pressed into the fiber board that holds them in their respective positions. It's not hard to remove or replace their wires.
    Jones Plug (resized).jpg
    Once the tube is heated the old wire slips right out and the new wire can slip right in its place with some fresh solder. I don't know if it can be done with a standard soldering pencil, but a 100+ Watt soldering gun makes it easy.

#11 10 months ago

These connectors made by bally are really shitty.

That being said, I’ve always had good luck squeezing the female connectors in a little with a hard metal file or your fingers. It works and hasn’t caused problems.

Replacing them wholesale would be a pain in the ass I’d only try if I had to. You could splice in some williams or gottlieb connectors if you found the right size or close enough to it.

#12 10 months ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

You can replace the female connectors, but they do have to come from a parted out game. I tend to stick to same manufacturer (they come up on ebay or at pinball shows frequently) where possible.
    To replace, you desolder one wire at a time and solder to the new connector - this will help you maintain position.
    As far as repair of your existing connector - do not use a needle-nose if you fear the connector may be compromised. Simply remove the male connector, then squeeze between your fingers (on opposite sides of the connector) slightly. If a tab breaks, you can -slightly- bend the remaining top part of the tab downwards to maintain pressure and connection until you can find a replacement.
    Good luck!
    -edit- I see Snyper mentioned the same stuff up above! I'm a day late and a dollar short. Haha!

Yeah I third it lol. What these guys said.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 89.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 8,500.00
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.50
    $ 64.95
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 27.95
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 218.00
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 150.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside