3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by luch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3362193D-070E-474B-9A3D-4B2E8C347F0A (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Recently I purchased a new backglass for my Space Mission pin. It has a chunk of extra glass on one edge. I have new plastic trim coming, but have been told the extra glass will interfere with the trim. I also worry that the glass may not fit in the back box. There isn’t much extra room. Is it possible to sand or grind off the extra material or will it shatter? I believe the glass is tempered.

3362193D-070E-474B-9A3D-4B2E8C347F0A (resized).jpeg3362193D-070E-474B-9A3D-4B2E8C347F0A (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

Is it possible to sand or grind off the extra material or will it shatter? I believe the glass is tempered.

My experience is it will shatter. Or break off in chunks.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Call a local glass shop and get their opinion. They deal with glass everyday and also may even be able to do it for you.
    -Mike

#4 3 years ago

Annealed glass edges should be cleaned up prior to tempering, a chunk left like that could cause the piece to break during the tempering process. My guess is that its annealed and could be lightly sanded. Glass shops use a wet belt sander, take it slow. If it's tempered it will break.

#5 3 years ago

It sounds like I should leave it alone or risk fracturing it. Is this an acceptable condition for a new glass? Is it OK as is or should it be returned?

#6 3 years ago

should be returned

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.