(Topic ID: 304287)

Can't remove flipper alignment bolt - stern tmnt

By DaveTheTrain

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20211118_142402 (resized).jpg
    20211118_001201 (resized).jpg
    20211118_010001 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Hey folks,

I noticed my tmnt pro was draining SDTM on a full plunge or orbit shot. Upon inspection the upper flipper isn't in-line with the hole in the pf.
    I tested this by removing the flipper rubber and noting that the ball no longer goes sdtm.

Thing is I can't loosen the bolt on the pawl. To the extent that I think it's stripped.
    I've tried my 5/32 allen and other hex attachments.
    They turn in the slot a little but then slip.
    All other bolts underneath seem snug and able to loosen.

What can I do? I'm so down about this as I can't just leave it as it is affecting the gameplay.

Why was it so tight that it can strip the head?!

20211118_001201 (resized).jpg20211118_001201 (resized).jpg
    20211118_010001 (resized).jpg20211118_010001 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Maybe clamp a vice grip on it and give her hell?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Hey folks,
    I noticed my tmnt pro was draining SDTM on a full plunge or orbit shot. Upon inspection the upper flipper isn't in-line with the hole in the pf.
    I tested this by removing the flipper rubber and noting that the ball no longer goes sdtm.
    Thing is I can't loosen the bolt on the pawl. To the extent that I think it's stripped.
    I've tried my 5/32 allen and other hex attachments.
    They turn in the slot a little but then slip.
    All other bolts underneath seem snug and able to loosen.
    What can I do? I'm so down about this as I can't just leave it as it is affecting the gameplay.
    Why was it so tight that it can strip the head?!
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

If you do strip that Allen headed bolt, just grab the outside with vice grips to get it off then replace it. Not a big deal.

These actually have to be very tight or the shaft will slip during game play. Not sure what the torque spec is, but it’s pretty high.

#4 2 years ago

Try using adjustable pliers or vice grips on the head.

If the head turns, see if the threads turn along with it.

#5 2 years ago

Use a 10 inch long T handle allen wrench.

LTG : )

#6 2 years ago

I've rebuilt and aligned flippers on my other pins but never known one so tight as this.
    It's definitely stripped as the keys move a little when inside.

I'll look into vice grips but I really can't see how anything can grip the outside enough to turn it considering the allen keys didn't?

#7 2 years ago

I've rebuilt and aligned flippers on my other pins but never known one so tight as this.
    It's definitely stripped as the keys move a little when inside.
    I'll look into vice grips but I really can't see how anything can grip the outside enough to turn it considering the allen keys didn't?

The vice grips will work, you could also Dremel the bolt head sides to make a large flathead screw driver fit with a square shank and put a wrench on the shank for more leverage

#8 2 years ago

Dremeled a slot and still no dice, even with a huuuge flat head.

I am thinking a last resort would be to cut the thread in the pawl and hope the rest will come out easily as theres no more tension.
    I can always replace the plunger and pawl

20211118_142402 (resized).jpg20211118_142402 (resized).jpg

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Use a 10 inch long T handle allen wrench.
    LTG : )

^^^^this

https://www.toolup.com/Eklind-51910-5-32-Cushion-Grip-Hex-T-Handle-T-Key-Allen-wrench

Llyod gave me this advice back in July for my Mando and worked like charm and I thought my flipper post was fused. Nope, just needed some more torque.

#10 2 years ago

Vice grips, Personally, I'm not big on cutting and producing all that flying conductive material inside a machine.

#11 2 years ago

Somebody hasn't used vice grips yet!

If vice grips can't do it.... nothing can.

#12 2 years ago

Try heating a little with a hair dryer and then vice grips.

#13 2 years ago

If you try all this and can't get it off, cut the bolt between the fingers of the pawl with your dremel, and replace it. I've never seen one that is fused on there. I guess it could have gotten badly cross threaded at the factory.

Also while we call them "Vice Grips" in the US, I think you call them "Mole Grips" in the UK. I still think those are your best bet to break it free.

#14 2 years ago

Spray with a very small amount of w-2. That will loosen it right up.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

If you try all this and can't get it off, cut the bolt between the fingers of the pawl with your dremel, and replace it. I've never seen one that is fused on there. I guess it could have gotten badly cross threaded at the factory.
    Also while we call them "Vice Grips" in the US, I think you call them "Mole Grips" in the UK. I still think those are your best bet to break it free.

Yeah mole grips here! Couldn't find any small enough but borrowed a dremel and eventually said sod it!
    Just cut it out and all good now.
    New bolt coming tomorrow.

I'm so confused how it was in there that tight
    Not a fan of sterns crank pawl flipper thing I must say, never have these issues with my older machines!

#16 2 years ago

I just helped a friend adjust his right flipper on his AIQ and it was very tight too but I was able to get it loose using his tiny allen key set.

#17 2 years ago

If the screw was stainless steel, that could explain it. Stainless has a tendency to gall under serious torque, and they can essentially cold weld to the mating part.
    Jim

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from mojonitro:

If the screw was stainless steel, that could explain it. Stainless has a tendency to gall under serious torque, and they can essentially cold weld to the mating part.
    Jim

The replacement bolts I bought are black, like the ones on my older pins.
    Seem to be a better material and the description where I bought them said the stern ones should be replaced if possible as they're not the best quality.
    Maybe similar to what you mean!

1 year later
    #19 1 year ago

Happen to have a link to the replacement bolts/screws you bought? I have stripped screws on 2 newer Sterns.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-t-remove-flipper-alignment-bolt-stern-tmnt?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.