(Topic ID: 260666)

Can't quote last character of post

By zacaj

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

When I'm highlighting text to do a quote, the little 'Quote' popup button doesn't show if I have the last character of the post selected. If I select one character less, it works fine
    --------------------------------
    Your browser/os information:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.130 Safari/537.36 (this will help us make sense of your bug report)

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:When I'm highlighting text to do a quote, the little 'Quote' popup button doesn't show if I have the last character of the post selected. If I select one character less, it works fine
    --------------------------------
    Your browser/os information:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/79.0.3945.130 Safari/537.36 (this will help us make sense of your bug report)

I usually don't highlight text to quote, but it worked for me.

#3 4 years ago

I tried replicating this issue. Looks like the quote button does not pop up if you have the "white space" under the last line selected:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

But (carefully) making sure that you select up until the dot does seem to work:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Not sure if that's what's happening?

#4 4 years ago

Hmm.. this seems to only be happening when I triple click the text to quickly select the entire line, which is my usual process. So maybe not tied to last character?

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Hmm.. this seems to only be happening when I triple click the text to quickly select the entire line, which is my usual process. So maybe not tied to last character?

I just tried this, and, you're right, it didn't work. Learned something new today. I usually just click on the quote button in the bottom right corner.

#6 4 years ago

Yup, triple click indeed doesn't work. I'll see if I can fix that.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

I just tried this, and, you're right, it didn't work. Learned something new today. I usually just click on the quote button in the bottom right corner.

That quotes the whole post, which is often what I want. But sometimes if someone has asked multiple questions, I want to just respond to one of them, or respond to each separately.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

That quotes the whole post, which is often what I want. But sometimes if someone has asked multiple questions, I want to just respond to one of them, or respond to each separately.

If you want to quote the whole post just use the quote marks next to the link icon at the bottom right. If you want to just quote part, then click, hold and drag the part you want to quote and click the blue quote text that appears when you unclick.

Regardless I wouldn't do the triple click, I'd just click on the quote mark at the lower right to quote everything.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

If you want to just quote part, then click, hold and drag the part you want to quote and click the blue quote text that appears when you unclick.

Why would I want to spend time manually mousing to both ends of a paragraph when I could just triple click? As someone who types things for a living, I've learned to take advantage of everything I can to manipulate text quicker.

Quoted from schudel5:

Regardless I wouldn't do the triple click, I'd just click on the quote mark at the lower right to quote everything

And then you can't respond specifically to parts of a post, like I'm doing here.

1 year later
    #10 2 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yup, triple click indeed doesn't work. I'll see if I can fix that.

I've noticed this same behavior and found this thread. It's not just triple-click. If you drag vertically to select the last line(s) of a post you get the same behavior with the addition of it highlighting blue vertical bars (blanks) on either side of the quote icon. It's almost like it is trying to highlight an unprintable character at the end of the post since it works correctly as long as you carefully select only through the last visible character.

This happens in both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome for me.

Not a big deal at all, especially now that I see the work-around. Pinside already works better than 99.9% of the web sites out there, so thanks for all you do.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-t-quote-last-character-of-post and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.