• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vectorman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Guys,

This one is stumping me. I have a silverball mania with solenoid issues. The problem is on the MPU. I know because I have another silverball mania sitting next to it and swapped the MPUs and the problem follows the MPU. The problem seems to be somewhere either on or before the U11 PIA, or maybe after it? I have replaced the U11 socket and the U11 chip, I have tested continuity and all the resistors/caps in the solenoid data output section. All traces and components seem ok to me. But somehow momentary solenoid data lines C and D don't work right. They seem to be going low on the chip when I probe it with a logic probe, but when I probe the output connections on J4-1 and J4-2, the lines don't go low. But swapping U11 does nothing and there is good continuity everywhere.

I don't know. I'm sure I'm testing or observing something wrong because this doesn't make sense. But I'm hoping someone here can point me in a productive direction.

Thanks!
John

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from vectorman:

but when I probe the output connections on J4-1 and J4-2

How much resistance do you measure between ground and each of the individual pins:
J4-1 =
J4-2 =
J4-3 =
J4-4 =

And how much resistance do you measure between:
U11 pin 13 to J4 pin 1 =
U11 pin 12 to J4 pin 2 =
U11 pin 11 to J4 pin 3 =
U11 pin 10 to J4 pin 4 =

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

How much resistance do you measure between ground and each of the individual pins:
J4-1 = These all fluxuate between 1.5Mohm and 3.0Mohm. Every time I check one of them I get some random reading in this range
J4-2 =
J4-3 =
J4-4 =
U11 pin 13 to J4 pin 1 =472 ohm
U11 pin 12 to J4 pin 2 =465 ohm
U11 pin 11 to J4 pin 3 =472 ohm
U11 pin 10 to J4 pin 4 =470 ohm

Thanks for the help....let me know what to check next.

John

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from vectorman:

Thanks for the help....let me know what to check next.

The answers to the questions Quench posed will guide further troubleshooting.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from vectorman:

J4-1 = These all fluxuate between 1.5Mohm and 3.0Mohm. Every time I check one of them I get some random reading in this range
J4-2 =
J4-3 =
J4-4 =

Were these measurements taken with the MPU board on the bench or in the game? If it was on the bench, then please plug the MPU board into the game and redo the measurements. Also take the measurements by swapping the meter leads around - you might get different results. Of course the machine needs to be off while doing all this and make sure all connectors are hooked up.

Quoted from vectorman:

U11 pin 13 to J4 pin 1 =472 ohm
U11 pin 12 to J4 pin 2 =465 ohm
U11 pin 11 to J4 pin 3 =472 ohm
U11 pin 10 to J4 pin 4 =470 ohm

These look right.

#6 3 years ago

Update - I finally figured this out. I started looking for other shorts or opens along the A,B,C, and D solenoid lines on the MPU. I found a 9.9Kohm resistance between C and D. I never really figured out how it had 9.9kohm, but I removed all solder from everything along those lines and resoldered everything very carefully. The 9.9k "short" went away and now the board works perfectly. Weird one. Thanks for trying to help me. I appreciate your time everyone.

John

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 169.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
$ 179.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-t-get-all-solenoids-working-silverball-mania-prob-on-mpu?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.