You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Details:
Williams Firepower 1980 System 6
Original boards
No corrosion on the boards, battery pack installed
No burnt smells

Machine was working great up until last week when I decided the kicker switches required adjustment, they were lazy and machine gunning. In the process of adjusting the switches the left kicker coil stuck on. I immediately shut down the game, checked and isolated the switches with folded paper, coil still stuck on. Diagnosed the circuit, found faulty transistor, replaced it and kicker coil working as it should.

While board was on the bench I reflowed the 40 pin connector and a couple of 9 pin connectors that looked suspect.

Problem 1
Right flipper no longer works
- Coil not activating
- Flipper leaf switch cleaned and gapped
- checked the transistors, resistors all good
- Installed Siegecraft "Output Tester" at 2J12 and find Pin 1 & Pin 2 locked on. (Pin 1 Right Flipper Enable & Pin 2 Left Flipper Enabled) locked on.
- Stumped!?
Ran diagnostics, no switches stuck on.

Problem 2
Soundboard blowing F1 slo-blo fuse (4 amp) as soon as game turned on
- Showing -14v to F1 lower fuse holder.
- Monkeying around (installed heavier fuse) now I have feedback no sound
Push the sound diagnostics no change.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Legacy69:

Details:
Williams Firepower 1980 System 6
Original boards
No corrosion on the boards, battery pack installed
No burnt smells
Machine was working great up until last week when I decided the kicker switches required adjustment, they were lazy and machine gunning. In the process of adjusting the switches the left kicker coil stuck on. I immediately shut down the game, checked and isolated the switches with folded paper, coil still stuck on. Diagnosed the circuit, found faulty transistor, replaced it and kicker coil working as it should.
While board was on the bench I reflowed the 40 pin connector and a couple of 9 pin connectors that looked suspect.
Problem 1
Right flipper no longer works
- Coil not activating
- Flipper leaf switch cleaned and gapped
- checked the transistors, resistors all good
- Installed Siegecraft "Output Tester" at 2J12 and find Pin 1 & Pin 2 locked on. (Pin 1 Right Flipper Enable & Pin 2 Left Flipper Enabled) locked on.
- Stumped!?
Ran diagnostics, no switches stuck on.
Problem 2
Soundboard blowing F1 slo-blo fuse (4 amp) as soon as game turned on
- Showing -14v to F1 lower fuse holder.
- Monkeying around (installed heavier fuse) now I have feedback no sound
Push the sound diagnostics no change.

Typically if the transistors on the driver board check out and you still have locked coils it's quite likely a PIA chip, or one of the associated logic chips. It looks like you just had bad transistors and solved that problem. Nice work!

The williams diagnostics are known to be limiting, and sometimes give false positives. So, I wrote some test ROMs for all Williams 3-7 games. You can download and run them for free if you have a chip programmer and some chips. If not, you can also order the Pincoder Adapter. It has the test ROMs for ALL of the system 3-7 games included on it and you can start running tests right out of the box:

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506/

Using those test ROMs from start to finish will allow you to troubleshoot and certify your whole game.

Also, You've got all the right information in there, so I'm assuming you're an experienced tech. The pincoder tests dont yet run on the sound board itself, But I'd guess that the rectifier on the sound board has shorted out.. How strong of a fuse did you put in that it hasnt blown again?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-t-figure-out-problems-system-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.