(Topic ID: 218710)

Can't choose: Mata Hari or Genie

By codered9394

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Mata hari vs genie”

• Mata hari 30 votes
      44%
    • Genie 38 votes
      56%

(68 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180609_173443 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I've been toying with the idea of adding a EM pin to my collection. Not really looking for a EM but something along those lines but staying in the solid state era. Two pins catch my attention, Mata Hari and Genie. I've never played either and not really sure if I ever will until I purchase one. I have tried them on pinball arcade and they both seem fun. Looking to pinside to see what the general opinion on these two pins and which is the better pin in pinsides eyes. I know the only way to determine if you like it is to play it but this may not be a option for me. Tell me what you think

#2 5 years ago

I think you should find both and play them. Personally they are too simple for my taste.

Quoted from codered9394:

I've been toying with the idea of adding a EM pin to my collection. Not really looking for a EM but something along those lines but staying in the solid state era. Two pins catch my attention, Mata Hari and Genie. I've never played either and not really sure if I ever will until I purchase one. I have tried them on pinball arcade and they both seem fun. Looking to pinside to see what the general opinion on these two pins and which is the better pin in pinsides eyes. I know the only way to determine if you like it is to play it but this may not be a option for me. Tell me what you think

#3 5 years ago

Mata Hari gets my vote

#4 5 years ago

My vote: Mata Hari!

Fast, simple game that is fun. Always has whispered to me "just one more game, ok?"

#6 5 years ago

Genie + powerball

#7 5 years ago

Mata Hari all day, everyday.

#8 5 years ago

They’re both good games. I think Mata Hari has the edge for the artwork, Genie might be slightly better in terms of shot variety since it’s a wide body and has more on the playfield. That said, Mata Hari can be a tough game. I’d get both....lol.

#9 5 years ago

I can’t wait to add a Genie to my collection!

#10 5 years ago

I have a Mata Hari but would rather have a Genie

#11 5 years ago

Mata Hari isn't on Pinball Arcade but is the better game. Don't just pick a name and search. See what's out there first then make a decision. Early Gottliebs that are better are Joker Poker and Countdown. Ballys, Flash Gordon, Power Play,EK, Paragon, Eight Ball and deluxe, Skateball, too many to name really. Stern Meteor or Stars and Williams Flash are all great options too.

#12 5 years ago

Between those two games I would have to go with Genie but Mata Hari is still a very fun game. If I was looking for a good early SS (which I am) Joker Poker or Paragon would be my pics as stated above.

#13 5 years ago

Genie.

Mata Hari kind of sucks. All you do is shoot up top for the glory hole and then work around the pf later if you survive.

Genie way cooler all around. Art too.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Genie.
    Mata Hari kind of sucks.

Without the inlines of Viking there ain't much going on.

#15 5 years ago

I own both.... They both have very cool art.... MH is a Dave Christensen BG.... hard to go wrong there, but Genie has cool Wizard... it's cool how big he is on the PF.

But playing wise.... no contest, Genie has so much more going for it. 5 Flippers.... upper drops, side stand up targets, lower pop bumper, a spinner..... A lot more to do/shoot for than MH. To me, MH is the most basic Bally of that Era... dual 4 row drop targets & a single saucer...That's it... No spinner, no stand up targets, no double saucers etc. To me, it's a fairly boring game, & I wouldn't own one if it wasn't such cool art. I rarely play mine.... I just have too many other fun early Bally SS's.

Not saying Genie is my most favorite playing game either, but of the 2 of them, hands down I'd rather play it. I have a Widebody from all 4 major manufacturers who made Early Widebodies, Bally Paragon, Gottlieb Genie, Williams Scorpion, & Stern Big Game.... Genie is at bottom of the Widebody list of my 4 for fun. Need to get an Atari Widebody sometime in future I guess to add to the collection.

#16 5 years ago

I also own both.

Genie is a far better looking game in my opinion, but Mata Hari plays much faster and even has an "orbit" shot. The drops being front and center are both fun and a challenge.

Play both and then decide - as they are very different playfields.

There is no denying that Gordon Morrison's art package makes Genie one of the most beautiful pins to ever roll off the assembly line.

#17 5 years ago

I will agree my MH plays faster than Genie... Genie is a BIG PF.... off top of my head I think it's the largest PF of the 4 wide bodies I have.

#18 5 years ago

I vote genie.

#19 5 years ago

In thinking more about it, I think the big difference between the two in terms of play style, is that MH requires you to work the machine a lot harder. It’s faster and has more dangerous shots, especially when you go after the drops, so you’re constantly trying to work the ball out/away from the outlanes and keep control. Genie can have a slower pace I think and is more about making your shots as opposed to working the whole game physically.

#20 5 years ago

Let me make it real easy for you.

A. Mata Hari...or
    B. Some other Bally.

Never add a system 1 Gottlieb before a SS Bally, that's just silly speak.

#21 5 years ago

Based on units produced, Mata Hari is one of the ten most successful pinball machines ever made. It is fast and deceptively simple, but it keeps you coming back for one more game. I would love to find a nice example of Genie to add to the game room, but I wouldn't get rid of my Mata Hari for it.

#22 5 years ago

Thanks for all input that has been given. Can anyone give any input on value of these machines in players condition.
    Genie really intrigues me more some reason. The artwork and the way the playfield is layed out seems very fun. Something keeps telling me that I need to get a Mata Hari but Genie gets me second guessing that thought every time. Maybe ill buy one then start a search for the other.

#23 5 years ago

Both good games, but very different as others have stated. The widebody Genie plays slower but has more things to do. Art is very good. Mata Hari represents the early times of Bally SS games. Simple yes, but challenging. How often do you get an extra ball?? I don't get many on mine compared to other games? The drops are always a challenge to get 'em all on the same ball and again for specials. I vote Mata Hari. But I am biased............

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from codered9394:

Thanks for all input that has been given. Can anyone give any input on value of these machines in players condition.

Real ballpark, I’d say $800 to $1200 for players depending on specific condition. They should be somewhat similar in price range I believe. If you get a MH, you’ll want to figure out some way to protect the arch plastics across the top. It’s common for these to be/get broken from the ball hitting the center saucer from the flippers and bouncing/flying up into them breaking them. I ended up cutting custom protectors for mine.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Based on units produced, Mata Hari is one of the ten most successful pinball machines ever made. It is fast and deceptively simple, but it keeps you coming back for one more game. I would love to find a nice example of Genie to add to the game room, but I wouldn't get rid of my Mata Hari for it.

8 ball is #2. I don’t know anybody who fiends for it.

MH sold a lot but it just doesn’t have much to offer.

#26 5 years ago

I never tire of Mata Hari. Fun fast game.

#27 5 years ago

If your Genie has the Pascal board (w/skill shot, ball save, and high scores), and your Genie has extra strong coils in the flippers and pops, and if your Genie is set nice and steep with fresh wax and rubber, and if your Genie is set on 3ball... Genie by a mile.

That's my fat girlfren! You'll go home sore and happy after wrastling her around all night.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

Genie can have a slower pace I think and is more about making your shots as opposed to working the whole game physically.

Not if your machine is set up like mine. You be having ball times as short as those 2" flipper games. If'n you ain't nudging for your life over by that left lower pop, you be dead.

#29 5 years ago

I vote Genie always chuckle when people say its a slow easy game must not have played one set right is super fast hell no but fast enough the see the ball drain. You can have great game or a crap game where you see it just goes down the drain. Have enjoyed watching people get handed by genie on a 5 ball game. They can't clear 250,000 meanwhile current high is 1.4 million
    + have a pascal board in it the only way to play. Had Count-Down for a while i got to a point were if you didn't do at least 350 k by the 2nd ball you were done because i was passing you up. was set at 5 ball when i got it so i left that way.

#30 5 years ago

Setting up your Genie correctly, Step One.

IMG_20180609_173443 (resized).jpgIMG_20180609_173443 (resized).jpg
    #31 5 years ago

Both of these games are imperfect. Genie has too much going on and is oddly divided and "choppy". Mata Hari desperately needs a spinner, or some other shots. It is very "vanilla".

#32 5 years ago

Seems like there's always a Mata Hari or two for sale within a short road trip from here. If you have a line on a well-priced Genie, get that and worry about Mata Hari later. There'll always be a Mata Hari.

#33 5 years ago

Keep looking for both games
    buy the first one you find

#34 5 years ago

I have a line on Mata Hari within a couple hours of me. Hopefully I can get something worked out. Thanks for all the input

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Setting up your Genie correctly, Step One

Got it. Once I find one step one will be taken care of

1 week later
    #36 5 years ago
    Quoted from codered9394:

Got it. Once I find one step one will be taken care of

I have a nice Genie that is in line for me to do an overhaul on. I just finished a Close Enounters (Solid State version), and about to finish a Silverball Mania. I wasn’t sure if I would jump on Countdown or Genie next, but if you are interested, I can easily do Genie next.
    I love the way the FLIPP board breathes new life in to Close Encounters, so I was going to put it in Countdown and Genie as well. As a previous person mentioned in this thread, the FLIPP board adds so much to the game. Plus, it is only one board, it fixes many System 1 issues associated with the stock boards, and adds more troubleshooting features. Heck, there is even the add on option of using a universal tv remote to navigate the board’s menus...lol.
    If you are interested, let me know—Close Encounters, Silverball Mania, and Countdown ar also available too. I’d be happy to do something if you are interested in more than one.
    I’m located in NY, on Long Island. I would be fine with using a shipping service if you don’t want to do the drive.
    Let me know,
    —Ed

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from E_N_3:

have a nice Genie that is in line for me to do an overhaul on. I just finished a Close Enounters (Solid State version), and about to finish a Silverball Mania. I wasn’t sure if I would jump on Countdown or Genie next, but if you are interested, I can easily do Genie next.
    I love the way the FLIPP board breathes new life in to Close Encounters, so I was going to put it in Countdown and Genie as well. As a previous person mentioned in this thread, the FLIPP board adds so much to the game. Plus, it is only one board, it fixes many System 1 issues associated with the stock boards, and adds more troubleshooting features. Heck, there is even the add on option of using a universal tv remote to navigate the board’s menus...lol.

Pm sent

#38 5 years ago

I own a Genie and it gets my vote for sure. But if you want an "EM" and are shopping for a "SS" then I say get a Breakshot!

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

own a Genie and it gets my vote for sure. But if you want an "EM" and are shopping for a "SS" then I say get a Breakshot!

Will look into. Thanks

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-t-choose-mata-hari-or-genie?hl=weatherbymag and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.