(Topic ID: 191917)

Can Stern ever be BIG in China?

By HighProtein

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Can Stern ever be BIG in China?”

• No, pinball will never be a viable product there... 12 votes
      46%
    • Maybe, if they are made and sold there. 11 votes
      42%
    • Yes, if made and sold there. 1 vote
      4%
    • Pinball will never be made in China (other than Homepin). 2 votes
      8%

(26 votes)

#1 6 years ago

So considering that many pinball parts of Stern games are made in China...
    Considering that shit loads of humans that have never eeever played a pinball machine live in China...
    China would actually be one of the Final Frontiers of pinball sales right?
    Is it possible that STERN could make/sell pinball in China?
    To me it doesn't make sense as an exported game to China.

#2 6 years ago

If anyone would do it, it would be Homepin .

#3 6 years ago

I dont know about china but they could be big in japan! Seriously they have amazing arcades there that fill high rises

#4 6 years ago

Only if there was a wager involved i.e.; love their gambling.

#5 6 years ago

No. Mainly because pinball doesn't really grab them. We have a big site here right near Chinatown. Pool tables full arcades /online gaming full......and not a soul on ten pinball machines. It just doesn't seem to grab their attention.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from mgpasman:

If anyone would do it, it would be homepin .

I think Mike from Homepin is going to make some strides in China. I'm sure that he will give it his best shot in any case, and I'm sure he has some plans on that front.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

Only if there was a wager involved i.e.; love their gambling.

Or if you could play it while crouching and spitting between your legs

#8 6 years ago

Unless you turn them back to a gambling machine, no. Without chance of winning, it's thought of as loss

#9 6 years ago

I believe they tried it already with Stern NBA. A very simple pin with Yao Ming (prominently) on the backglass.

I think it was originally going to be made for China only, but they decided to release it in the regular markets. Not sure if this was because of a poor reception in China or not.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

Unless you turn them back to a gambling machine, no. Without chance of winning, it's thought of as loss

I've only been asked once in 5+ years if any of my pinball machines pay out,
    but yeah, why not make a payout pinball if that is what the market demands.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

I've only been asked once in 5+ years if any of my pinball machines pay out,
    but yeah, why not make a payout pinball if that is what the market demands.

Gambling and gambling machines are 100% illegal and banned in China.

The pinball machines you see on Alibaba (and the 40 thieves) are not pinball machines as we know them. They are not even really bingo machines as we know them. They are pretty shitty random ball shooting machines with no theme, plan, objective or any clue as to what a pinball machine or even a bingo should do.

The Chinese have zero understanding of what a pinball machine is - none at all. I include amusement machine manufacturers in there as well, they have no idea.

Also, the Chinese will NEVER pay the ridiculous prices being asked currently for pinball machines.

Stern had a few new releases on display at the last Guangzhou amusement show (GB, AS and some others - I have the brochure here somewhere). They were observed curiously by some but when told of the price they actually laughed out loud.

It is a pointless exercise trying to sell western themes to the Chinese. They have never heard of Aerosmith, Metalica, AC/DC etc etc etc so they certainly will not pay $10K for one (that was the asking price at the show).

Homepin has a plan for pinball machines into China but it isn't a traditional pinball machine as we would think. We are working closely with a couple of firms here to produce a machine that Chinese will understand and actually pay money to play.

Breaking into the Chinese market for any company is not easy - to attempt to force product down their throats (by selling current western themed machines to them) will never, ever work. It is also pretty much a requirement to be on the ground here. To crack this market from the outside - well, good luck is all I can add to that thought.

#12 6 years ago

Aside from collectors pinball is almost dead in the US so the idea it will be able to uptake in a culture that doesn't have the 70 year history of flipper games seems unlikely.

The recent uptick in location games has been nice but it's a small blip compared to the heyday of the mid-90s. I don't see a push into China unless a big pop culture element came with it (like a movie featuring prominently a pinball machine) and made its way over there. But I mean that's just as unlikely given Hollywood studios are risk averse.

Anyways as yourself the reverse; when are pachinko machines gonna catch on here? Never.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-stern-ever-be-big-in-china?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.