(Topic ID: 306040)

Can someone tell me what the attraction is? (Dolly Parton pin)

By Sea_Wolf

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tomdrum
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-13 (resized).jpg
dolly_pinball_original_backglass (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (12) (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Nothing against Dolly, she’s a great person but why is this title in average condition bringing these insane prices while early SSs like Mata Hari, Flash, Nitro Ground Shaker and others struggle to bring $1500?

I’ll admit it’s a pretty fun machine to play but the last 2 on eBay brought $4100 and over $5800. I don’t get it, unless it because Dolly is not going to be around forever and maybe they will become collectors items.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Nothing against Dolly, she’s a great person but why is this title in average condition bringing these insane prices while early SSs like Mata Hari, Flash, Nitro Ground Shaker and others struggle to bring $1500?
I’ll admit it’s a pretty fun machine to play but the last 2 on eBay brought $4100 and over $5800. I don’t get it, unless it because Dolly is not going to be around forever and maybe they will become collectors items.

Those games don't have a licensed theme.

#3 2 years ago

Boobs

#4 2 years ago

THIS! BIG BOOBS= BIG MONEY, always has.

#5 2 years ago

$4550 for this?? Yowza..

s-l1600 (12) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (12) (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

Probably more Dolly collectors spending that money than pinball people.

#8 2 years ago

Because people love Dolly Parton. She's had a resurgence in popularity the last several years. It's a good licensed theme. Same reason why the Kiss game has always been valuable. Dolly used to be absurdly undervalued but it's catching up to what it should be.

When I roll a Dolly Parton onto location, I can hear non-pinball-playing-people get hyped over it. (Helps being in Tennessee)

It's an ok-ish game. But the theme does all the heavy lifting and appeals to people who aren't always catered to with pinball themes.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from CoachBacca:

Probably more Dolly collectors spending that money than pinball people.

That makes sense.

Here’s the latest.

ebay.com link: Dolly Parton pinball machine 1979 Bally works and 100 tested

#10 2 years ago

Yeah that’s 1976 Playboy Playmate Ann Pennington on the backglass. She was the younger sister of Janice Pennington, one of Bob Barker’s First Ladies on the Price is Right.

#11 2 years ago

It always seems like pins with in-line drop targets go for more money…. They are fun to hit….

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from RatShack:

Those games don't have a licensed theme.

Nitro has great art but a dog and Flash was sold by the bushel and has terrible art.

#13 2 years ago

Pinside still shows $1500 on the high side. I think you are just seeing some people overpay or some high selling prices. It happens, and it will settle again.

Because of the cross-sell, it probably does have some slightly higher valuation than the titles you indicated, however, Nitro ground shaker can definitely go for some $ as well, since it has cross-sell as well.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nitro has great art but a dog and Flash was sold by the bushel and has terrible art.

Wow.. surprised you say that, I always thought Nitro had a pretty good rule mechanic and playing was a fun challenge... although the last one I played was dialed in and fully restored so that was a real treat

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Wow.. surprised you say that, I always thought Nitro had a pretty good rule mechanic and playing was a fun challenge... although the last one I played was dialed in and fully restored so that was a real treat

Its like Kings of Steel, instead of the right target all day its shoot the saucer all day. The game would do better with a rewrite of the rules.

The art is superb, I picked up a used playfield to restore but have no plans on playing it unless someone revises the rule set.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

It always seems like pins with in-line drop targets go for more money…. They are fun to hit….

I played Dolly at a show and thought it was no great shakes but try not to have negative opinions based on show examples. KISS at the same show was far more entertaining.

On Dolly the theme does all the heavy lifting I think, just like on Data East Back to the Future. People pay stupid money for BTTF and it is one of DE weakest pins, hell it doesn't even have Michael J. Fox in the game.

#17 2 years ago

Because as other people have pointed out , she is a very popular person and seems to be a beautiful human being that has exceptional plastic surgeons.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I get the Dolly fans but the art on Dolly Parton is tacky and it’s not exactly a rare pin either. I just can’t believe $5850 for this title in that condition.

Wish I had one to sell.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I get the Dolly fans but the art on Dolly Parton is tacky and it’s not exactly a rare pin either. I just can’t believe $5850 for this title in that condition.
Wish I had one to sell.

I've got one in worse condition, that'd I'd sell for more than that

Also have one in close to that condition, I'd sell for that same price.

(Yes, for some reason I have two of them)

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Nitro ground shaker can definitely go for some $ as well, since it has cross-sell as well.

I’ve got a really nice NGS that I listed on Pinside for $1850 for the last month and haven’t got one message yet although I listed that I preferred to trade.

It looks like I’m trading it soon for a nice Mata Hari, a game that I’ve wanted in my collection for a long time.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Wish I had one to sell.

The prototype backglass was better but Dolly and her publicist wanted "Vegas Dolly"

The early cabinet was better art to.

dolly_pinball_original_backglass (resized).jpgdolly_pinball_original_backglass (resized).jpg

image-13 (resized).jpgimage-13 (resized).jpg
#22 2 years ago

It's time for a new Dolly pin! Stern? Jersey Jack?

#23 2 years ago

I've been meaning to repaint my Dolly cabinet. I forget who, but someone on the site sent me a lovely pdf template of the proto version of the cabinet art. The cabinet always seemed a bit off without that part.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

It's time for a new Dolly pin! Stern? Jersey Jack?

Scott Danesi already did a couple years ago; it's called "Total Nuclear Annihilation", and it's spectacular. Maybe you've heard of it?

#25 2 years ago

I feel like those are outliers, and you can find outliers on just about any themed machine. Stupid people with stupid money will pay for stupid things. But in general, I've seen Dolly go for about the same prices as those others.

I own a Dolly now, I've had a Flash in the past and I like them both, though they are very different games. I picked up Dolly because I wanted a cheap game with a spinner and inline drops. Mission accomplished for me.

#26 2 years ago

Prices are rising on them to do a Three Stooges conversion.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I’ve got a really nice NGS that I listed on Pinside for $1850 for the last month and haven’t got one message yet although I listed that I preferred to trade.
It looks like I’m trading it soon for a nice Mata Hari, a game that I’ve wanted in my collection for a long time.

Wow.. yeah, can't go wrong with MataHari.. one of those pure pinball titles, that's just so much fun to play again and again.. Hopefully the condition is good.. typically NGS should outvalue Mata.. but who knows... guess it all depends who is buying what and when.. lol

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Wow.. yeah, can't go wrong with MataHari.. one of those pure pinball titles, that's just so much fun to play again and again.. Hopefully the condition is good.. typically NGS should outvalue Mata.. but who knows... guess it all depends who is buying what and when.. lol

You’re right about the NGS being more valued cash-wise but it looks like his machine is in similar good shape and he’s willing to do all the driving (10 hrs round trip) so I think that definitely evens it out.

Trades rarely work out but I hope this one does. It looks like we will both be getting something we want after many years of enjoying the ones we own.

2 weeks later
#30 2 years ago

Boobage aside, This is getting ridiculous and with a trashed playfield too.

ebay.com link: Dolly Parton pinball machine 1979 Bally Plays Great New MPU And Rubber

#31 2 years ago

I’ve got a buddy/customer looking for one, even an over priced one.

Any leads, please let me know.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I'll be selling one soon, just have a couple issues to sort out first.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Also keep looking on eBay. At the crazy prices they’ve been selling for I’m sure more will pop up.

Just in the last 2 months 3 sold for $4,300, $5,850 and $4,550

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Also keep looking on eBay. At the crazy prices they’ve been selling for I’m sure more will pop up.
Just in the last 2 months 3 sold for $4,300, $5,850 and $4,550

Must be a very recent thing or an ebay thing. I know of several collectors that paid normal $1500 prices for Dolly and some who have scored cheap deals in the last couple years. Dolly is an average fun Bally spinner game. I own and love Harlem more and with limited space, can't see putting Dolly in the lineup.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Must be a very recent thing or an ebay thing. I know of several collectors that paid normal $1500 prices for Dolly and some who have scored cheap deals in the last couple years. Dolly is an average fun Bally spinner game. I own and love Harlem more and with limited space, can't see putting Dolly in the lineup.

Dolly kind of stinks to play compared to the others...the inline drops are a death shot, and the bonus doesnt seem to be as valuable in this game as your average Bally. So it kinda just becomes a shoot one inline drop, then shoot the spinner fest.

That being said, it's a gorgeous game, I love the Vinyl LPs all over the playfield, and it's a very rare female-themed game.

I really do think it's time for them to resurrect this license for a "dinosaur rock" game. Everybody loves Dolly and this would be the ultimate "ask the wife" game to buy, and would help broaden the appeal for NIB games.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

...and would help broaden the appeal for NIB games.

Yes that is quite needed right now.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Yes that is quite needed right now.

hahaha touche!

I do have to say I love how for the longest time everybody was into the whole "we gotta get more people into pinball!" and now it's like "How do we get all of these jackasses out of pinball?!"

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

hahaha touche!
I do have to say I love how for the longest time everybody was into the whole "we gotta get more people into pinball!" and now it's like "How do we get all of these jackasses out of pinball?!"

OMG, so true. Enough with you newbies. Get off my lawn!! LMAO

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

hahaha touche!

"Promote the hobby!" became "F U Stern! Everything sucks!"

#40 2 years ago

Dolly is a beautiful game and I love this era but I always passed on them with limited space. However a game like Future Spa checks all the boxes for me. You get more game from the same designer and generally a better deal right now over Dolly.

But obviously, the theme is the main attraction.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dolly kind of stinks to play compared to the others...the inline drops are a death shot, and the bonus doesnt seem to be as valuable in this game as your average Bally. So it kinda just becomes a shoot one inline drop, then shoot the spinner fest.
That being said, it's a gorgeous game, I love the Vinyl LPs all over the playfield, and it's a very rare female-themed game.
I really do think it's time for them to resurrect this license for a "dinosaur rock" game. Everybody loves Dolly and this would be the ultimate "ask the wife" game to buy, and would help broaden the appeal for NIB games.

It’s a game where you don’t want to juice the spinner too much or it trivializes the bonus building, which can get pretty high.

I also recommend having the drops spot PARTON letters. There’s a nice risk reward when you have PARTON finished but need a DOLLY letter or two. Go for the drops to multiply bonus but not spot PARTON, or be greedy and finish DOLLY before going back to the drops for bonus X and spot PARTON letters.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

(Yes, for some reason I have two of them)

She has 2 of them too. What a pair !

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

Because as other people have pointed out , she is a very popular person and seems to be a beautiful human being that has exceptional plastic surgeons.

Just wanted to let you know, with this post tonight you have won the internet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-someone-tell-me-what-the-attraction-is and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.