Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by oldtowner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1530837372551-832889957 (resized).jpg
    20180704_183903 (resized).jpg
    20180704_175751 (resized).jpg
    26214253456034 (resized).jpeg
    26214253366005 (resized).jpeg
    26214253331753 (resized).jpeg
    26214253316172 (resized).jpeg
    26214253227446 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldtowner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:Coils don't get weak, they either work or they don't.

Is that right? We check for coil resistance. If the resistance of a coil changes (reduces), doesn't that mean that the power of the coil is changing?

#41 5 years ago

Thanks JR (and Schudel5) - it's starting to make sense to me now. I've read that removing some windings from a coil makes it stronger, which would be the same as a partial internal short circuit? My problem is that this seems counter-intuitive, since removing (say) all but one winding would make the coil very strong? I ought to get this, as I first made an electromagnet in 1963! (Never too late to learn......)

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:If you remove too many windings, the resistance will drop to the point where it is no longer a coil, but a dead short.

Thanks JR. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll start my questions elsewhere when I've done some homework. I'm still confused because of this (typical) explanation:

"The magnetic fields generated by the separate turns of wire all pass through the center of the coil and add (superpose) to produce a strong field there. The more turns of wire, the stronger the field produced." (Wikipedia, electromagnetic coils).

1 month later
    #51 5 years ago

OK - so now I've stopped scratching my head. Which was starting to hurt, after a month. Great, clear explanation. Thank you! So ... presumably there's a point at which removing turns will *eventually* make the coil weaker? Which means that if there is a major short in the coil (say, several layers of windings shorted through), it could make the coil weaker than normal?

#53 5 years ago

Brilliant explanation, thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldtowner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-someone-put-a-value-on-this-please?tu=oldtowner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.