(Topic ID: 340905)

Can someone point out where NVRAM might be on my rotten dog WPC95 MPU?

By ezatnova

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by ezatnova
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6597 (resized).png
IMG_9281 (resized).jpeg
#1 11 months ago

Hello. I picked up a NGG yesterday and did a quick check through, and noticed it has a Rottendog MPU. I also noticed that I can’t find batteries . I assume (hope) this might mean that it has NVRAM done to it already, but I don’t know what I’m looking for to confirm that.

Can anyone point it out in this picture? Let me know if I need to move any cables around for a better view.

Thanks

IMG_9281 (resized).jpegIMG_9281 (resized).jpeg
#2 11 months ago

You have this https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-williamsbally-wpc-95-mpu.html

If it had batteries they would be attached to the blue terminals on the far left of the left most board. If you have NRAM it would be in one of the two top socketed chips in the link attached. Likely has a sticker on it that says NVRAM hidden behind the cables on the left most board.

#3 11 months ago

If you can shut your machine off overnight and it still remembers free play and doesn't start adjusting the volume to default (loud) and asking for money to play...

Yes, someone put in an NVRAM chip.

As to where it is, it's a 28 pin chip, in a socket, under those cables. It will probably be marked 6264, or (rarely) 62256.

#4 11 months ago

Here it is.

IMG_6597 (resized).pngIMG_6597 (resized).png
#5 11 months ago

Thanks all!

#6 11 months ago

Your processor board also contains what appears to be a temporary fix for power board issues ... though you should know.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Your processor board also contains what appears to be a temporary fix for power board issues ... though you should know.
[quoted image]

Interesting, thanks. What is the official name of that thing? One other guy mentioned that those are sometimes common just as nice to haves on these systems. Wonder if it’s a bandaid or just in there for good measure.

#8 11 months ago

Machines with this in place likely have unstable +5VDC from the Power board, this device uses the +12VR from the power board to generate a new stable +5VDC to power the CPU. There is much information in this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kahr-wpc-mpu-power-fix-circuit-add-on-daughterboard/page/2 related to this item.

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Machines with this in place likely have unstable +5VDC from the Power board, this device uses the +12VR from the power board to generate a new stable +5VDC to power the CPU. There is much information in this post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kahr-wpc-mpu-power-fix-circuit-add-on-daughterboard/page/2 related to this item.

Thanks. The good news I guess is that it always has a green light. So might be there just as a safety measure rather than a necessity. Some others I know that have them will show a red light indicating they are correcting a real issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Canaan, ME
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.